Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What percentage of your farm is currently waterlogged?

• 10-07-2012 8:52am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Land is wet, just curious to see how much land is un-trafficable at the moment

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

roughly 80% of where cows grazing block is ungrazable at the minute.... outfarm where youngstock and sucklers are is grand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

lucky enough only about 25-30% of it

this field was grazed 24 days ago, still only a cover of 300, can't get stock on, only quad will just about travel over it.

212519.jpg

paddock next to first pic, grazed at the same time wetter again, cant get near it to clean up. if it ever dries up, ill probably just cut it off and try and bale it, not even worth waiting for some new growth
    212520.jpg

both were reseeded last year, and subsoiled along with it.
    sad to see fresh reseed in this state:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭restive

blue5000 wrote: »
    Land is wet, just curious to see how much land is un-trafficable at the moment

About 65%, all callow land.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

My parcel in North Mayo is actually holding up alot better then it was this time last year when it was this part of the country that got the worst of the weather - currently only about 20% could be considered water logged. Lads around Blessington though are struggling with alot of heavy stock housed:(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I reckon 25-30% of mine is badly waterlogged, managed to get 20 acres of silage in today though.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

80%. Majority of cattle housed :o

Grass is growing away under the water, but when will it be grazed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

0% :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

Sam Kade wrote: »
    0% :)

Thats a smug smiley face if I ever seen one!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Thats a smug smiley face if I ever seen one!!
    Oh yeah it is, I have everything to be smug about with 20 acres of first cut silage left to bale and very poor regrowth on the ground that has already been cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭jerdee

75%
    problem is they have all the higher ground eaten facing into shed

Reseed is coming on well though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

I walked a few fields last night. Thistles I was hoping to spray are actually going brown near the but from the cold. The land is low lying and needs heat for grass to grow. I have never seen such freaky weather for July.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭Dozer1

about 20% that you couldn't walk across, the rest they were only tearing the place apart all cattle in for a week.

TB test saturday and hope to sell a few.

Are many here thinking of selling, looks like numbers at the mart are up and prices starting to ease but no choice here really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭nashmach

About 60% of the grazing ground.

Still have all the silage to get in. Probably about 40% of silage still to cut around here! :(

Wet land and heavy rain yesterday don't help.

Have topped all the drier ground and fertilised despite low stocking rate.

Wet ground - grass gone stemmy and can't get it topped.

Need a dry week here.

Spring Barley looks well but disease is on the move.

Not a vintage year here at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Oh yeah it is, I have everything to be smug about with 20 acres of first cut silage left to bale and very poor regrowth on the ground that has already been cut.

This weather isint easy on anyone in fairness. Would be worse if stock went to their knees with every step they took though. Plenty of people in that boat around the country.

Advertisement