Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Auntie Nellie's Sweet Shop opens on High Street

Options
  • 10-07-2012 8:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭

Who has been in there. It's fabulous inside - something like a charles dickens novel at Christmas. Every kind of sweet imaginable.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

Where is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

According to their website there is none in Galway
    http://auntynellies.ie/our-stores/
    but the facebook show one has opened across the Malt House alley.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

whoever decided to add "on shop street" to my original post, can you kindly take it back off (biko)

The shop is actually on High Street next door to Deacy's Fish Shop and has only opened in the last week.

There is NO auntie nellies on SHOP Street

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Changed the title to High street from Shop street.
    What fishy didn't mention in the OP is that this shop has just opened. Seems to be a Cork company making their way across Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Seems like we've gotten a lot of these recently. That said, location is key. Love the one on abbeygate st myself.

• Advertisement

if you like Candyland on Abbeygate Street you will love Auntie Neillie's. Although Haven't bought anything in there (too tempting), the actual layout and operation is fabulous - a posher "Caulfields" if anyone remembers that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Find it hard to see how this one, the one next to Kellys, Candyland and the one in Corbett Court can all survive at the same time.
    It does look nice from the outside though but boiled sweets are not something id ever shtick in my gob(i assume its what they sell?).

they seem to sell every kind of old fashioned sweet known to man - glass jars from ceiling to ground - you have to take a look Ben - it looks fab.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭GalwayGaillimh

I remember getting the cola cubes and apple drops in Caulfields years ago , thats a long time ago lol

Si Deus Nobiscum Qui Contra Nos

I remember getting the cola cubes and apple drops in Caulfields years ago , thats a long time ago lol

bullseyes and the shiny pillow ones with chocolate inside for me. Used to walk up after school - I loved the process of them climbing on the step ladder to get to the jar, then weighing them on the old fashioned weighing scale, and putting them in a brown paper bag. I loved Caulfields.

Was in Auntie Nellie's earlier today - it is really nice - they have all the old fashioned sweets - cola cubes, fizzy cola bottles, clove drops, bulls eyes, milk teeth, etc. and they play Willy Wonka music in the store - it was packed. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

Awwww milk-teeth. So tasty. Ya can get teeth now in the FunGum bags and others, but they're not the same as the old 2pence white powdery milk-teeth that used to be available years ago. Oh and do they give the sweets to ya in the old-style white "ham-bags??!!" :D God I really need to get a life! :rolleyes::o

I'd be nearly afraid to go in though 'cuz I'd spend to much and want ALL the sweets! :o:p:D

Cola Cubes -> Frosties f.t.w! :D (Good God I really need to get out more!) 10p Frosties now probably about 3 euro for a roll of them!!

I'd love to be able buy the bubble-sweets as I call them separately..... Ye know the baby-blue and baby-pink bubbly round sweets in Liquorice Pickn'mix...... I hate liquorice in general but I just love those bubble-sweets! There's something else too in the liquorice line that I love which astonished me considering I hate liquorice but I do like it and I can't think what it is now, ah to be a kid again! I know there's the pickn'mix sweets and there's liquorice snakes and there's something else made of liquorice which I like but just can't remember what it is now.

I wonder does Aunt Nellie give ya a special Price if ya mention Boards?! :D

What's the one in Corbett Court? The Sweet Factory place ya mean is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭Tym

Looked at the pictures of other shops on their website...it looks like Honeydukes:O

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

I'd love to be able buy the bubble-sweets as I call them separately..... Ye know the baby-blue and baby-pink bubbly round sweets in Liquorice Pickn'mix...... I hate liquorice in general but I just love those bubble-sweets!

Those are sprogs, I have seen them for sale on their own in some pick and mixes.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭StonedRaider

All the new sweet shops..all the new ice cream shops and the milkshake shop..$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ dentist dream come true $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Does anyone know if they sell those sour apple sweets, applejacks we used to call them? I've only ever found them recently in the gift shop in the Cliffs of Moher visitor centre, and those were somewhat lacking in gooey stickiness. They've probably been outlawed by the EU for striking partakers instantly with diabetes.

A small price to pay I say!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭trio

We were in there a few days ago. Got embarressingly overexcited. The place was packed out the door and the owner was in there pleased as punch with himself, telling everyone that whetever they were looking for, they probably had it.

I promptly asked him for Lucky Bags (not really believing they would) and he said "Behind you!" The Lucky Bags are €2 and we got one and there was a fair whack of sweeties in it, so happy days!

I found it better than the place down by Kellys just because that place is mainly behind a counter, whereas in this place you can mooch around yourself. And this place has a LOT more stuff - floor to ceiling. It was funny to see all these fancy Volvo adults going in and going "OOOOoooooh......!"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Seems to be an explosion of them in town now:

Candyland by CPs (which now has a concession right beside Auntie Nellie's in the convenience store)

The one by Kellys, the one across from Vodafone in the shopping centre in town and now this one. How they can all stay in business I'll never know!

Advertisement