Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Judge appalled at video of Gardai

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Green Diesel

Because "they" are all the same. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,270 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

And if cops weren't afraid to use physical force to apprehend violent thugs in case they lose their jobs over it, do you think the Swedish House Mafia gig would have gotten out of control?

An unarmed police force will only be as effective as the respect it can gain from all members of society. When the criminal classes have no fear of the police force, what hope have they of protecting the rest of us?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

I always thought it was illegal to record the gardai doing their job...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

Sleepy wrote: »
    And if cops weren't afraid to use physical force to apprehend violent thugs in case they lose their jobs over it, do you think the Swedish House Mafia gig would have gotten out of control?

An unarmed police force will only be as effective as the respect it can gain from all members of society. When the criminal classes have no fear of the police force, what hope have they of protecting the rest of us?
    Your point has feck all to do with a couple of thugs in Garda uniforms assaulting a man, breaking his arm and then giving false evidence to get him convicted.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Sky King wrote: »

I don't think it is, once it's in a public place

you risk p1ssing off the long arm of the law though

• Advertisement

SocSocPol wrote: »
    Your point has feck all to do with a couple of thugs in Garda uniforms assaulting a man, breaking his arm and then giving false evidence to get him convicted.:mad:

I thought the violent thugs he was referring to were the ones wearing the uniform;)

NO, as the judge says its not.
    two other boys in blue were also convicted of assault in dublin for attacking someone who was recording them

http://www.herald.ie/news/gardai-assaulted-man-who-filmed-their-raid-1966471.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Usually they just do it for you...

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0405/corrib.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,276 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Why would it be? Sure news reporters do it all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

I wouldn't like to be a guard in this country.

If only the judicial system stood behind the law enforcers a lot of this kinda stuff would be wiped out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

And how do you propose they gain the respect of society? Certainly not by beating people up. Perhaps it's fear you're thinking of.
    If the gardai want the respect of society maybe they should try showing people some respect as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Apparently it is in some states in the "land of the free" though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

An unarmed police force will only be as effective as the respect it can earn from all members of society.

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭croker1

The guy probably deserved it tbh! I'm pretty sure he wasn't as innocent as a lot of people are making him out to be

staker wrote: »
    I wouldn't like to be a guard in this country.

If only the judicial system stood behind the law enforcers a lot of this kinda stuff would be wiped out.

You expect the Judicial system to allow the gardai to break the law when they feel like it, what sort of country do want to live in exactly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

croker1 wrote: »
    The guy probably deserved it tbh! I'm pretty sure he wasn't as innocent as a lot of people are making him out to be

Ah yeah, sure forget about the video evidence that shows him having no interactions with the Garda. A good 'ol broken arm sorted him right out :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Actions like this by the guards do not inspire respect, they inspire fear. They should not be allowed to ride roughshod over people's rights and freedoms and I'm glad to see that at least one judge agrees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

We are not being told all the facts, from either side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

syklops wrote: »
    We are not being told all the facts, from either side.

I believe the Judge saw the facts, and it swayed him pretty convincingly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

i want to see this video...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

They Just can't help themselves can they, and before anyone accuses me of Garda bashing I didn't ask them to assault anyone ,on camera!

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0710/1224319721336.html

who cares what a judge thinks? your average judge is usually far removed from reality.
    the guards should asked him to come along nicely and if he reused, give up. they deal with scumbags. four guards lost their jobs cos they got rough with a scumbag who had broken a guards jaw.

Fuinseog wrote: »
    who cares what a judge thinks? your average judge is usually far removed from reality.
    Maybe this is not an average Judge!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Carter P Fly

i've said it many times before, The current sitting Judges should all be beheaded and replaced by Judges that can hold the position for no more then 7 years.

Who gives a toss what these cancers on society think.

you used to be illegal to film the security forces in the north but here it seems to be entertained.

I am not sure if continually trying to trip up the guards is a good idea. filming them doing their job can be interpreted in a variety of different ways. the more their power is cured the stronger criminals become. we bitch about anti social behaviour yet any action the police take is police brutality.

most of them will not use their asp to defend themselves. Getting their face slashed or boiling oil thrown into their face still means they have a job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

who cares what a judge thinks? ............

The legal system.

You expect the Judicial system to allow the gardai to break the law when they feel like it, what sort of country do want to live in exactly?

Not what I said at all, read my post again.Stop putting words in my mouth.

No respect for the Gardai stems from the fact that these thugs know that they can stretch the limits of the Gardai's power in any courtroom.All well for them to go provoking trouble when they were refused entry,yet they play the innocent when it's them that's on the end of their own kind of treatment.

you used to be illegal to film the security forces in the north but here it seems to be entertained.

I am not sure if continually trying to trip up the guards is a good idea. filming them doing their job can be interpreted in a variety of different ways. the more their power is cured the stronger criminals become. we bitch about anti social behaviour yet any action the police take is police brutality.

most of them will not use their asp to defend themselves. Getting their face slashed or boiling oil thrown into their face still means they have a job.
    Breaking an inoccent mans arm and then trying to frame him is Garda Brutality.
    Strange how one so determined to get justice for a Hungarian family in one thread is ardently oppossed to Irish people getting justice in another.:confused:

Not what I said at all, read my post again.Stop putting words in my mouth.

No respect for the Gardai stems from the fact that these thugs know that they can stretch the limits of the Gardai's power in any courtroom.All well for them to go provoking trouble when they were refused entry,yet they play the innocent when it's them that's on the end of their own kind of treatment.

"their own kind of treatment" would entail being filmed by the Gardai, not getting dragged into a car, a broken arm and a court appearance.

• Advertisement

Nodin wrote: »
    "their own kind of treatment" would entail being filmed by the Gardai, not getting dragged into a car, a broken arm and a court appearance.

Werethey not creating a "disturbance" having been refused entry?

I could imagine the diturbance which warranted the Gardai being called.

Yes, but thankfully imagination isn't something that counts as evidence in a court. This diagram helpfully explains it.
    http://www.blackandwhitecat.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/dreams.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

You seem to be using your imagination a lot here, and ignoring the facts of the case.

You seem to be using your imagination a lot here, and ignoring the facts of the case.
    The facts of the case are that one Garda broke an innocvent mans arm,two gardai lied in court to attempt to get him framed, both were caught out when video evidence showed the true events.
    Try as you like , you cannot justify attacking and attempting to frame someone, they are a disgrace to their uniforms.

Breaking an inoccent mans arm and then trying to frame him is Garda Brutality.
    Strange how one so determined to get justice for a Hungarian family in one thread is ardently oppossed to Irish people getting justice in another.:confused:

the Hunagrian matter is nothing to do with the police
    he was not quite so innocent. he was filming the guards. most folk dislike being filmed. the article also says he was being abusive towards the guards. in any other country the judge would have sided with the guards.

he was not quite so innocent. he was filming the guards. most folk dislike being filmed. .

So thats gives me licencse to beat the crap out of people who take my photograph or film me. Grand. Could we include people who are "lookin" on that list? It would decriminalise much of what comes before the courts on a monday morning.
    the article also says he was being abusive towards the guards. in any other country the judge would have sided with the guards.

Really?

• Advertisement

he was not quite so innocent. he was filming the guards. most folk dislike being filmed. the article also says he was being abusive towards the guards. in any other country the judge would have sided with the guards.
    The article said that the lying Guards claimed he was abusive to them, the video showed he had no interaction with them at all.
    Disliking being filmed is no justification for breaking an innocent mans arm, the man was well within his rights to film them.

the guards should asked him to come along nicely and if he reused, give up. they deal with scumbags. four guards lost their jobs cos they got rough with a scumbag who had broken a guards jaw.

four guards lost their jobs cos they got rough with a scumbag who had broken a guards Jaw
    Could you please provide a link to evidence of this , much obliged.

I am not sure if continually trying to trip up the guards is a good idea. filming them doing their job can be interpreted in a variety of different ways.

Were the cops who bet up Rodney King, just doing their job with people trying to trip them up?

A Garda on a power trip can be interpreted in a variety of different ways

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Boombastic wrote: »
    Were the cops who bet up Rodney King, just doing their job with people trying to trip them up?

Bouncers wouldn't call the guards for nothing! He was obviously being a scumbag in the first place.

Just because the video cuts in at a time which favours the 'victim' doesn't mean he was completely innocent

• Advertisement

Bouncers wouldn't call the guards for nothing! He was obviously being a scumbag in the first place.

Just because the video cuts in at a time which favours the 'victim' doesn't mean he was completely innocent

Yea never let the facts get in the way of slandering the guy who was assaulted and almost framed.
    Suppose the poor guy in Waterford who was beaten on camera was a "scumbag" as well:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Stuff like this gives the guards a bad name and it undermines there power. You can barely see some getting arrested without them claiming police brutality. Just a quick question do people thing that there are any case where the guards could be given a pass to rough up the person that did the crimes

Jester252 wrote: »
    Stuff like this gives the guards a bad name and it undermines there power. You can barely see some getting arrested without them claiming police brutality. Just a quick question do people thing that there are any case where the guards could be given a pass to rough up the person that did the crimes
    No. No organization should have a pass to decide to beat people up as it suits them.

why are people on about thugs and everything
    i don't understand that, am i reading a different article???
    t showed that Garda Bentley had “no interaction whatsoever” with Mr Daly prior to his arrest. And it demonstrated that Garda O’Connor spoke to the doormen for a minute and a half after arriving at the scene. Addressing Garda O’Connor, Mr Twomey said; “it shows that you then went to my client; asked him for ID, which he produced as the footage shows; and then 30 seconds later, you push him - violently . . . and when my client did something small like take video footage, you broke his arm, although I accept probably not deliberately,” Mr Twomey said.

where in any of that does someone deserve to have their arm broken

I can admit that maybe the guard went a bit far BUT it would have never happened if the man in question hadn't been acting the gowl in the first place.

Has such a thing ever happened you? Probably not, because you were never being a scumbag. People draw this kind of thing on themselves mostly.

I can admit that maybe the guard went a bit far BUT it would have never happened if the man in question hadn't been acting the gowl in the first place.

Has such a thing ever happened you? Probably not, because you were never being a scumbag. People draw this kind of thing on themselves mostly.

So, filming a cop deserves a broken arm, a court appearance and the rest. Great society that.

yeah producing ID as requested HOW DARE HE

Nodin wrote: »
    So, filming a cop deserves a broken arm, a court appearance and the rest. Great society that.

So why were the guards called in the first place?

bluewolf wrote: »
    why are people on about thugs and everything
    i don't understand that, am i reading a different article???

where in any of that does someone deserve to have their arm broken

He might have looked at him wrong, or eyed up the Garda's bird, :)

So why were the guards called in the first place?

It's in the article. Are you trying to imply something? If so, cut to the chase and get on with it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement