Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog food that's good quality, but not too expensive

• 10-07-2012 10:12am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all.

With the two dogs at the moment, I figure I might be as well to buy a pretty big bag of dog food. The local pet shop seems pricey enough, so what websites would people recommend?

Also any recommendations for a brand that is good quality, but won't break the bank?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I have been buying lukullus for the last year it agrees well with my dog

http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/dry_dog_food/lukullus/156093

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Whats your budget and what kind of dog do you have? How long does your usual bag last and what are you feeding at the mo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

We feed Robbies, and it works out at €10 a week between the 2 dogs, it's just under €60 a big bag, but lasts us 6 weeks, with a retriever cross and a jack russell cross.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

andreac wrote: »
    Whats your budget and what kind of dog do you have? How long does your usual bag last?

Budget? Umm.... hard to say. When we had Molly, a 3kg box would last maybe 2 weeks or so? We got her Bakers, which is about €5 a box I think.

Anyways, we've Jake and Molly now. My budget is reasonable. I'd prefer them to cost €5 or less each a week if possible, but I'm very open to suggestions.

Oh god, Bakers is awful stuff, prob the worst you can feed, along with Pedigree...

You are better off going with a big bag, 15kg, and that will last a lot longer. Plus, even though you are spending a bit more on it, it will go much further as you dont have to feed as much with a better food.

What breeds are they? Big or small?

A 15kg bag of Clinivet lasts my rottweilers about 3 weeks.

Why not go for something like Redmills Leader, that costs around €40 for a 15kg bag.

• Advertisement

Oh god, Bakers is awful stuff, prob the worst you can feed, along with Pedigree...

You are better off going with a big bag, 15kg, and that will last a lot longer. Plus, even though you are spending a bit more on it, it will go much further as you dont have to feed as much with a better food.

What breeds are they? Big or small?

A 15kg bag of Clinivet lasts my rottweilers about 3 weeks.

Why not go for something like Redmills Leader, that costs around €40 for a 15kg bag.

Molly & Jake would be small-medium dogs.

What sites are good for ordering?

Well then a 15kg bag would def be ok. You can get a plastic or metal bin to put the food in to keep it fresh.

Dogfooddirect.ie have a great range of food at good prices with some offers so have a look at their website. Financially its better to buy a big bag as you are saving money in the long run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,630 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I discovered by accident that my cats like Tesco own brand dry food better than the more expensive stuff I was giving them. About half the price I was paying. Presumably they do own brand dog food.

looksee wrote: »
    I discovered by accident that my cats like Tesco own brand dry food better than the more expensive stuff I was giving them. About half the price I was paying. Presumably they do own brand dog food.

Yes they would, but with terrible, terrible ingredients which i would never recommend feeding to anyones dog... unless you were on a serious budget and couldnt afford to feed a better food.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭Rommie

You should try the Champion Premium range from Dogfooddirect.ie. 30quid for the 15kg of the chicken one and it has pretty good ingredients and glucosamine for joints

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Hi all.

With the two dogs at the moment, I figure I might be as well to buy a pretty big bag of dog food. The local pet shop seems pricey enough, so what websites would people recommend?

Also any recommendations for a brand that is good quality, but won't break the bank?

I have been feeding my 3 Burns for years but recently switched to this food
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B003EGMHL2/ref=mp_s_a_2?qid=1341916636&sr=8-2
    The ingredients are virtually indentical to Burns, and am feeding the same amounts. Check out all the zooplus websites fr, es, de etc.
    Other good websites are
    www.nutrecare.co.uk
    www.medicanimal.co.uk
    www.vetuk.co.uk

Rommie wrote: »
    You should try the Champion Premium range from Dogfooddirect.ie. 30quid for the 15kg of the chicken one and it has pretty good ingredients and glucosamine for joints
    Im a bid of a follower of the grain free style of foods, i personally dont think wheat, maize etc should be part of a dogs diet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

I'd also recommend 15kg bags from dog food direct. next day or sometimes even same day delivery and cheaper than the pet stores. Have my two on the champion at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

dogfooddirect sell a new food by Gain (Glanbia) called Elite SmallDog - €34/15kg. http://www.gainfeeds.com/pet/SmallDogs_Adult

"We believe it is the comparable with the very best dog foods on the market, and probably superior to most. We have a couple of unique ingredients such as Glanbia’s TruCal and high quality Omega-3 linseed. TruCal is a highly available source of Calcium and Phosphorous extracted from milk, mainly used for the human diet. All the ingredients are the best quality available. We excluded wheat but we included maize due to its high energy content. We also included porridge oats and rice. The beet pulp is included to provide digestible fibres that aid the digestive process. The results of our feeding trials prior to the launch showed that the digestibility was extremely high, with small dry stools. When developing these diets, it became evident that dogs less than 20kg had different nutritional requirements to larger dogs, so we developed Gain SmallDogs and Gain BigDogs. In Gain SmallDogs we increased the protein and fat and we have more emphasis on the prebiotics for their smaller sensitive stomachs etc."

I wouldn't agree with all of Gain SmallDogs ingredients though. Aswell as that the feeding guidelines are higher.

Red Mills Leader would be another option as it's around the 40 mark. I tried it before and my dogs liked it but stools weren't great. Again feeding guidelines are higher.

My dogs are on Burns and a 15kg lasts 6 weeks for 3 medium sized dogs. If you were willing to buy from ZooPlus, 2 bags would be around 40ish each.

There is another thread about Skinners. Through Amazon its €25/15kg bag and the ingredients/feeding guidelines are similar to Burns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

No problems here with Creavens. 12kg for €34, and it lasts my two terriers about 2 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,630 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Yes they would, but with terrible, terrible ingredients which i would never recommend feeding to anyones dog... unless you were on a serious budget and couldnt afford to feed a better food.

What do you base that statement on? I had my cats at the vets getting their shots within the last few days and he said they were in excellent condition.

I am not arguing the quality of the ingredients, but I would be interested to know what they are compared with other foods. (I am assuming the same quality of ingredients would apply to both cat and dog foods).

What do you base that statement on? I had my cats at the vets getting their shots within the last few days and he said they were in excellent condition.

I am not arguing the quality of the ingredients, but I would be interested to know what they are compared with other foods. (I am assuming the same quality of ingredients would apply to both cat and dog foods).

Im basing it on the facts and the ingredients on the packs. Ive seen the ingredients and i wouldnt choose to feed my dogs meat and animal derivitives and artificial colours and flavourings if there was a better alternative out there which is what the better foods have.
    They are based on good quality meat and ingredients and not made up of cheap fillers.

They use a lot of colourings which are completely useless, and can cause hyperactivity, and generally have worse quality meat/meat derivatives. They also use a lot more cereal fillers, which are completely pointless as they're pretty much indigestible. In general they wind up more expensive to feed too.

You could feed kids on McDonalds and manage it so that they're not overweight, but they still wouldn't be getting the high quality nutrients that are in less processed foods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

Below is some information I got on a well known dog food that would cost €40/15kg in a pet shop.

It seems manufacturers of dog foods in Europe if they choose, can legally label their food cereal/anaimal deriviatives, which means they can add whatever ingredient they like. See the link below on animal byproducts.

Some people argue that its OK to give this type of food. It depends on what way you look at it. But its often being said before on this forum that 'a good food with quality ingredients' would still work out better for the dog (and your pocket!) than the cheaper version in the long run.

"Regarding your enquiry, firstly I would like to explain a bit more about animal derivatives.
    The material of animal origin used by the pet food industry comprises are those parts of animals which are either deemed surplus to human consumption or are not normally consumed by people in the UK, and derived from animals inspected and passed as fit for human consumption prior to slaughter. Animal material of this nature, which is not intended for human consumption, is classified as "animal by-products" under the EC Regulation on Animal By-Products for which Defra is responsible, and assigned the lowest risk rating. This rating requires that the material be free of any transmissible disease, which therefore excludes material from dying, diseased or disabled animals.
    To find out more about this, please see the Defra website http://www.defra.gov.uk/food-farm/byproducts/ .

Regarding your question on labeling requirements, I would like to clarify that these legislations are all set and controlled by the EU and UK authorities and not by PFMA. For more information about the EU regulations, I suggest referring to the website of FEDIAf which has lots of useful information on this issue: http://www.fediaf.org/legislation/ .

If you would like to see the labeling legislation, which is currently in force and all our members need to follow, please see Regulation 767/2009/EC on the marketing and use of feed, from the following link. http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:L:2009:229:0001:0028:EN:PDF"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Mo60

I am feeding my dogs Tesco own brand dry food at the moment because they like it. All my dogs have lived to a good age in the past being fed on inexpensive dry food.

My vet has told me all my animals, cats and dogs, are in good health. If an animal is happy and healthy on what they are being fed I would see no reason in changing their diet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭Rommie

Im a bid of a follower of the grain free style of foods, i personally dont think wheat, maize etc should be part of a dogs diet.

To be honest I completely agree with you and I feed a half raw, half dry diet using an all natural dry food with no cereals in it. But the champion seems to be a good price for what's in it; you'd find the same ingredients in royal canin which is about thirty euro dearer!

Can someone have a peek at this food and see if it's decent? The reviews are good but I'd like some more experienced opinions.

What food??

Def not, it says it has all the same ingredients as Pedigree etc which are not good!! Ive never heard of that food either so i suggest going for one of the more well known brands.

Oh it doesnt list the actual ingredients which would be of concern for me...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Take a look through the Pet Connection own brand premium range. There is some decent dog food there, especially the salmon and potato,* for fairly reasonable prices, though not as great a bargain as the exchange rate is returning to more normal levels. It works out best if you buy 2 (or maybe 3) bags at once as the delivery charge is split.

*Ingredients
    Fresh salmon (min 26%), potato (min 26%), oats, maize, salmon
    meal, beet pulp, refined poultry fat, dicalcium phosphate, salmon oil, minerals and vitamins.

http://www.petconnection.ie/acatalog/Pet_Connection_Premium_Dog_Food.html

Rommie wrote: »
    To be honest I completely agree with you and I feed a half raw, half dry diet using an all natural dry food with no cereals in it. But the champion seems to be a good price for what's in it; you'd find the same ingredients in royal canin which is about thirty euro dearer!
    Did you look at the food i linked to , i have my very active collie cross on it and shes doing great i just supplement it with some table scraps etc.

i get 2x13.5kg bags for 90 odd usually , sometimes cheaper, this keeps my dog going for up to 6 months, as with other good quality foods you feed a smaller quantity daily, so it does last .

I'd say that the protein is a bit high. There's no actual ingredient list so you can't be sure what's in it. Any ingredients listed as 'cereals' or 'meat' are to be avoided because it tends to be whatever is cheapest at the time of manufacture so if your dog has an allergy you can't be sure that wheat, or whatever, won't be in the mix next time you buy it.

As andreac said; Pedigree and Bakers aren't good food at all, so I'd be wary of any food promoted as 'just like' them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Whats your budget and what kind of dog do you have? How long does your usual bag last?

Budget? Umm.... hard to say. When we had Molly, a 3kg box would last maybe 2 weeks or so? We got her Bakers, which is about €5 a box I think.

Anyways, we've Jake and Molly now. My budget is reasonable. I'd prefer them to cost €5 or less each a week if possible, but I'm very open to suggestions.

Jimmy what weights are dogs? I just did a rough calculation if they get 200g each per day for a week you are looking to buy a 15kg for around the €25-€30 mark and it would cost between €4.60-€5.60 per week. With better quality foods you feed less so although at first they look expensive you feed less! The lighter the dog the less you feed them. If they are neutered you decrease food by 10%.

Advertisement