Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

species of rushes

• 10-07-2012 10:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭

folks have noticed over the last few years that some paddocks have developed these little patches of rushes, they are different to the normal big clump of rush, these ones are very short and thin and cover an area like a carpet as opposed to individual clumps..i have found that in some fields i have sprayed that the bigs clumps of rushes are very easy killed but the spray doesnt seem to affect these little hoors of yokes...from looking up google I think they may be "spike rushes" but i could be totally off there, does anyone know the ones im on about and if so how do i kill the bastards, you wouldnt notice them in a field till after its cut or grazed bare

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

folks have noticed over the last few years that some paddocks have developed these little patches of rushes, they are different to the normal big clump of rush, these ones are very short and thin and cover an area like a carpet as opposed to individual clumps..i have found that in some fields i have sprayed that the bigs clumps of rushes are very easy killed but the spray doesnt seem to affect these little hoors of yokes...from looking up google I think they may be "spike rushes" but i could be totally off there, does anyone know the ones im on about and if so how do i kill the bastards, you wouldnt notice them in a field till after its cut or grazed bare

I'm no horticulturalist, but would have both of the types of rush that you describe. We would call the uncontrollable type sprat. They have a little ball head on the end of them, which I presume is seed, but these seed heads are different to ordinary rushes.

A couple of things that I noticed about them:

They tend to grow in our low lying fields or callows athat often flood during the winter.

As you say, cattle won't eat them, but I find that if they are in meadow and constuitute a small % of the growth, and you bale them into silage, then cattle will eat every bit of them in front of the barrier. I doubt they have much nutritional value though.

Roundup in a licker will kill them overground, but they will grow back just as strong within a couple of months.

A reseed is the best method to get rid of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

reilig wrote: »
    I'm no horticulturalist, but would have both of the types of rush that you describe. We would call the uncontrollable type sprat. They have a little ball head on the end of them, which I presume is seed, but these seed heads are different to ordinary rushes.

A couple of things that I noticed about them:

They tend to grow in our low lying fields or callows athat often flood during the winter.

As you say, cattle won't eat them, but I find that if they are in meadow and constuitute a small % of the growth, and you bale them into silage, then cattle will eat every bit of them in front of the barrier. I doubt they have much nutritional value though.

Roundup in a licker will kill them overground, but they will grow back just as strong within a couple of months.

A reseed is the best method to get rid of them.

well i drained and reseeded a field in springtime and it has come well but I can see a few area of the little b4stards in the reseeded field already, thats why im wondering does spray affect them at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

I have then in a couple of low corners as well. They are known as wire rush I think. they tens to form small clumps after a while. I intend getting a small weed wiper and doing by hand as I have not got many. Roundup is the only spray that will kill then from what I was told and they keep comong back even after reseeding. It is amazing but the rest of the field is only 6-8'' higher and there is no wire rush.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

I intend getting a small weed wiper and doing by hand

Save yourself a few bob, get a 9 inch paint roller, fluffy-ish type. Bit of hazel, dowel/whatever for the extended handle to make it comfortable. Local bakery here sells rectangular buckets that the roller fit's into ideal. Mix your round up in the bucket, dip the roller (let the hollow core drain or fill it with something) roll against the side of the bucket, wipe!

20120706_180951.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

Lads, everything ye ever wanted to know about rushes, but were too embarassed to ask:D http://www.gardenorganic.org.uk/organicweeds/weed_information/weed.php?id=65

In my part of Clare, we have two kinds mainly, which we call soft rush and hard rush. Both kinds, are thundering fckuers to have anywhere:(

• Advertisement

i bought a hand weed wiper recently as i couldnt find the auld fella one from years ago, tried it out there but was a bit disappointed, the rope wouldnt seem to soak correctly i thought even when the 2 regulating nuts either end of it were loosened so not sure if it was applying any great quantity of roundup onto plant

i bought a hand weed wiper recently as i couldnt find the auld fella one from years ago, tried it out there but was a bit disappointed, the rope wouldnt seem to soak correctly i thought even when the 2 regulating nuts either end of it were loosened so not sure if it was applying any great quantity of roundup onto plant

I bought one as well, a few years ago, I didn't find it any use. Instructions said to loosen cap to regulate flow, I left the cap off and still killed feck all.

johngalway wrote: »
    I bought one as well, a few years ago, I didn't find it any use. Instructions said to loosen cap to regulate flow, I left the cap off and still killed feck all.
    i was just thinking about it there, i think they have kinda sealed each end of the rope to stop it unraveling i suppose, maybe thats stoping the liquid from soaking down thru it?

I tried all I could think of with mine, loosened everything, presoaked the rope wick. I prefer the roller now and am annoyed I didn't go that way in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

I think the roller is genius, I have one corner in the silage that hasnt been cut the last two years as there's a few thistles and rushes in it.

I have a painters roller bucket and lots of rollers so might just try this one out on that corner.

the only question is how do I get there without spilling roundup all over the field (or down my welly). I suppose a few gallons filled with water and only add the roundup when down the field.

• Advertisement
Advertisement