Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Watches and the Rain

Options
  • 10-07-2012 11:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I'm thinking of getting a Garmin. I've been looking at getting a secondhand 305 but was just talking to another girl who knows of someone with a brand new 110 which stopped working on her after she ran in the rain. The specs on both watches indicate that they are waterproof so I'm just wondering has anyone else experienced this? I don't want to spend 100euro on something that is going to break if I run in the rain. :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I've had a 305 for over two years.
    First one stopped working - not rain-related I think - after a few months and I got a free replacement.
    I've once or twice had condensation inside the display, but packing the watch in rice overnight does the trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

All of the forerunners are rated for 30 minutes of immersion up to one metre. In other words you should be able to drop it into the shallow end of a swimming pool and suffer no problems with it.

If your friend's watch broke in the rain, then it was either a faulty unit or the casing had been damaged (by dropping, for example) and let water in.

If you buy one and it does break in the rain, then you can return it to Garmin for replacement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

The 110 is not waterproof and in my experience alot of them fog up.This watch will be discontinued by Garmin soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Shoe Lover

Thanks for the replies!
    seamus wrote: »
    If you buy one and it does break in the rain, then you can return it to Garmin for replacement.

Could I still return it to Garmin if I bought it second-hand?

Actually, I have another question - I've really no idea about these watches :o Would it be better to buy a reconditioned one rather than one off Ebay?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

Shoe Lover wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies!

Could I still return it to Garmin if I bought it second-hand?

Actually, I have another question - I've really no idea about these watches :o Would it be better to buy a reconditioned one rather than one off Ebay?

No you can't return if you bought second hand.You have no proof ofthe time of the original purchase.The watches have a 2 year gaurantee.
    The watches have a code which can be traced back to which shop it was purchased online.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

As thirstywork says, you generally can't return an item bought second hand because the warranty only applies to the original owner.

A refurb unit is always a good way to go if you're on a budget because they will come with a manufacturer's warranty (usually six months to a year), in addition to your statutory EU rights to a minimum 2 years working without fault.

Also worth taking a look at handtec.co.uk for buying online. They have a term called "Newly Overhauled" which is distinct from refurbished. Newly overhauled products are products which have been sold and then returned with little or no use. They replace the packaging and then send it out for sale again, but they legally can't call it "new" because it's a resale of a return. They guarantee that if the NOH product doesn't appear new, they will replace it.

Refurbished items by comparison have either been well used and rebuilt or been returned faulty and repaired.

Details here: http://www.handtec.co.uk/blog/2011/08/noh-refurbished-newly-overhauled/
    Look for "NOH" or "Newly Overhauled" in the name of the product. I bought a NOH 405CX from them and there was no difference between that and a new product - plastic cover over the screen and everything. Saved me €65.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Just to be clear, you can return it to Garmin, but not under warranty. They will charge for the privilege of replacing it with a reconditioned unit, but they will offer you a replacement.

I would question the value of buying a second hand Garmin 305. If you can pick them up new for cheap, they're a cracking bargain, but second hand, they'd want to be in really good shape and very cheap to be a worthwhile proposition (they're pretty old technology at this stage (6 years old, to be exact). What kind of prices are you looking at?

The ones I've been looking at on Ebay are around the 100-120euro mark. I've been looking at ones where the seller has the original box - my theory being that if they still have the box, it can't be that old. I did see the NOH ones on Handtec and am kind of leaning towards that.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Shoe Lover wrote: »
    The ones I've been looking at on Ebay are around the 100-120euro mark. I've been looking at ones where the seller has the original box - my theory being that if they still have the box, it can't be that old. I did see the NOH ones on Handtec and am kind of leaning towards that.
    The NOH's would definitely be a better buy, particularly as they are covered by warranty. BTW: I still have the box for my Forerunner 405, which I bought in 2008. :)

The NOH's would definitely be a better buy, particularly as they are covered by warranty. BTW: I still have the box for my Forerunner 405, which I bought in 2008. :)

I'm the kind of person who throws out the box after a few months :o

Thanks again for all the replies. I've decided to go with the NOH one. I was leaning towards it and now I'm convinced! :) Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭JohnnyCrash

I got my 305(new) on Pixmania a while back for €140. Have worn it plenty of times in the lashing rain with no problems.

Advertisement