Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do Apple refund for non functioning Apps?

• 10-07-2012 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Is this possible for an App that crashes every time, not for an instance where I don't like the App and want to change my mind.

If yes, what is the mechanism for processing the request.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 951 ✭✭✭MiniNukinfuts

Nope, not at all. It's not apple's fault that the app crashes, it's the app developer, or it could be that your device is not compatible with the app. Have you tried hard resetting your device? Hold lock button + home button for 10 seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Emoyeni

Thanks. Thought as much.
    Should be compatible with iPad2. Had tried all options that I know of wrt resets etc.

In my naivety I imagined Apple might take some ownership for hosting inoperative apps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I got a refund fom them once for an app that didn't work. Although it was a developer issue, as I bought it from the app store it was their problem to solve. I presume they went and got the money back off the developer afterwards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 624 ✭✭✭jimogr

Your contract is with apple not the developer. They should refund you.

I stand corrected http://gizmodo.com/5886683/how-to-get-a-refund-from-the-app-store

I'd never have thought apple would give refunds

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Surely that violates some sort of sale of goods act?

If the product(app) you bought is broken then surely you should be entitled to a refund/credit?

Thanks guys.

I'll process this tonight and see how I get on. I'll update either way.

Thanks again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

They do occasionally give refunds, though reluctantly. If the app doesn't function at all then Apple should have spotted this when they approved it. If they are going to take responsibility for what apps are available, then they have to take responsibility when they don't work as well. But if the reason the app doesn't work properly is because of a bad update or something that's really the developer's problem and you should try contacting them first.

There was a problem last week with apps instantly crashing upon launch due to a DRM problem on Apple's side. It should be fixed now though.

What's the app?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

They really need to implement a system , similar to Android, you can refund an app no questions asked if its within 15 mins of installing it.

It was 24 hours but people took advantage of that by completing games in a day and then refunding the money, but the 15 mins refund works well, it gives you enough time to test the app , making sure it works on your phone

15 minutes is just enough time to buy the app, then crack it for unlimited use and get the refund.

• Advertisement

15 minutes is just enough time to buy the app, then crack it for unlimited use and get the refund.

Ye but who is going to do that, you can as easily say, jail break the iphone and download "free" apps on to it

Kenno90 wrote: »
    Ye but who is going to do that, you can as easily say, jail break the iphone and download "free" apps on to it

Well, the apps have to be cracked first, someone would do this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Never had a problem being refunded before tbh.

Well, the apps have to be cracked first, someone would do this.

Someone can just as easily buy the app, crack it and send the "free version" around

Kenno90 wrote: »
    Someone can just as easily buy the app, crack it and send the "free version" around

Ya, they buy the app, crack it, get a refund, then they can send around the "free version". That way they'll also get the app for free.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

What's to stop someone from continuing to use an app after receiving a refund? Can Apple remotely disable/delete it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

What's to stop someone from continuing to use an app after receiving a refund? Can Apple remotely disable/delete it?

They certainly can 'kill' apps (in extreme circumstances), but I don't know if this is possible on a per-user basis. I'd imagine you probably could continue using it, but perhaps for that reason, they might get suspicious if someone is requesting a lot of refunds!

Having an inoperative app would solve that issue!

I meant the question more in relation to the 15 minute refund idea. Seems like it could be very easily abused.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭forestfruits

i was refunded no problems - just needed a copy of the receipt of purchase.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

As a dev I've seen some refunds, the cost is to the dev not Apple as the 30% is not refunded. You can see why they don't really care.

EDIT: If that's confusing, i mean the cost to the dev of the refund is the 100% of the app cost, not the 70% - at least thats what I saw. Its been a while

For those who have stated that they have received refunds, what was the issue with the app in question, e.g did you have to demonstrate that it was inoperative.

Did you also have to provide any evidence of trying to resolve directly with the developer first?

Thanks.

Emoyeni wrote: »
    For those who have stated that they have received refunds, what was the issue with the app in question, e.g did you have to demonstrate that it was inoperative.

Did you also have to provide any evidence of trying to resolve directly with the developer first?

Thanks.

There is no contact with the developer. The link on page 1 explains it all.

As a dev I've seen some refunds, the cost is to the dev not Apple as the 30% is not refunded. You can see why they don't really care.

EDIT: If that's confusing, i mean the cost to the dev of the refund is the 100% of the app cost, not the 70% - at least thats what I saw. Its been a while

This is still the case. I guess it's an incentive to developers to make apps that work properly. Apple by hosting and delivering the app have delivered on their part. It's not like Apple give out refunds easily anyway. They have made reporting problems with apps extremely difficult. You used to be able to do it via the App Store but they removed it.

This is still the case. I guess it's an incentive to developers to make apps that work properly. Apple by hosting and delivering the app have delivered on their part. It's not like Apple give out refunds easily anyway. They have made reporting problems with apps extremely difficult. You used to be able to do it via the App Store but they removed it.

its fair enough because the hosting and credit card costs are sunk.

The link is page 1 is good for general information but does not help. When you select the "Report a problem" link and the subsequent App and "Doesn't function as expected" that's the end of the line. Message appears something along the lines of "Need to contact developer, we can't resolve this type of issue".

I contacted them through the contact us help mail address buried about 5 levels into itunes and received a reply last night stating the cost of the App would be refunded to the card used in the transaction. The only detail I gave them was the name of the App and that it crashes exactly 15 seconds after opening.

They may have taken into account that there are 3 iPhones and 2 iPads on my account and I purchase a lot (to me) apps.

Anyways - in summary they do appear to refund for inoperative Apps which answers my original question icon11.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭bertie4evr

Nothing. My brother bought Garageband on my iPad a few weeks ago when I wasn't looking. I chanced my arm and asked for a refund and got it. The app still works fine, although I imagine it can't be updated.

I'm guessing it's the same a jailbroken free app, if you ever try to update it from the app store you'll get a warning saying: "this discounted price is only available to customers who own a previous version of this item. To purchase this item at full price, click OK"

So the app will be there always until you delete it

Advertisement