Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

changing glass on front door in charlesland

Options
  • 10-07-2012 11:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭

Hi

Does anyone know if it is OK to change the glass on our front doors to say stained/designed glass or frosted?
    Don't want to put up blinds or curtains but the privacy part is annoying me when you go into your front porch.
    I have seen a 3 bed with the door facing onto the street and it looks lovely (far better) and seeing as our doors are to the side I thought it would not impact on the overall look.
    Like to do things within rules.............sorry :o

All advise much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

If anyone told me i could not change the glass in my door or change my door i would tell them to stuff off. I cant see why anyone would object to you improving your house this way. As long as it doesnt bring down the look of the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Car2318

Funny you say that but my friend and fellow charleslander said exact same!
    I have emailed them anyway as really want it done.

Of course its a matter of taste on the overall look - I refer to the beautiful yellow (banana) colour door with original wooden frame on the superquinn side of estate - am sure they think thats lovely too :rolleyes:

My naked chippendale stained glass will look great!!

All sorted - there are no restrictions to changing the glass.
    Katie in Kennedy Wright was as efficient as always when you have any query.

Thks

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭tp25

Don't forget to post pics and tell us who supplies you with new glass :)

Will do

Those Chippendales always pull a crowd!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

Car2318 wrote: »
    Will do

Those Chippendales always pull a crowd!
    just a thought but ive used peel off lace curtain effect contact paper before...and online some of the stained glass effect paper available is almost identical to real stained glass...at a fraction of the cost too.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭neets

We used Munster Joinery as they had to replace a cracked window upstairs. It was a bit pricey. €150/200. Can't remember. But it was well worth it. Really nice opaque frosted glass but lets loads of light in. Really happy and now you can't see straight into my downstairs loo!

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Techy_1

On the point of changing the something about the house, I would hope to at some stage change the entire door itself to a U-PVC door but resembling the original style / finish of the door.
    The door I have is letting in a lot of cold where as the PVC type doors are better for reducing heat loss and are more secure. How does the process go with regards permission to changing the exterior look of the house (i.e. the door).

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭tp25

Techy_1 wrote: »
    On the point of changing the something about the house, I would hope to at some stage change the entire door itself to a U-PVC door but resembling the original style / finish of the door.
    The door I have is letting in a lot of cold where as the PVC type doors are better for reducing heat loss and are more secure. How does the process go with regards permission to changing the exterior look of the house (i.e. the door).

Did you think to remove old rubber seals and replace them with new ones?

munster joinery should be able to post a roll, with small sharp blade you should be able to replace the seals.

Pict:

Advertisement