Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will the next Xbox be region free?

Options
  • 10-07-2012 12:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

I moved to Ireland recently and brought my beloved US Xbox along. I haven't run into too many problems, but occasionally I can't buy things on the Marketplace (despite all my cards being American and having a US address) and I wasn't able to play The Witcher 2 due to it being region locked.

I'm wondering if anyone thinks they will go the PS3 or Apple route next gen, stop region locking consoles, and allow accounts with valid addresses to purchase content regardless of where they are in the world. It's frustrating that I'd have to buy a new console and create a new account to assure I could buy everything here when my PS3 and Apple TV give me zero problems.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 iMcdermottz

You can migrate your Xbox LIVE account to an ireland tag but i think you lose the content you purchased?

Anyway back to OT, I don't think mircosoft will since they're prob not gonna want people importing games and such.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Felexicon

You can migrate your Xbox LIVE account to an ireland tag but i think you lose the content you purchased?

Anyway back to OT, I don't think mircosoft will since they're prob not gonna want people importing games and such.
    No he can't. The migration option was only to migrate to emerging markets. Ireland was never an option on that list. If you want an Irish account you will need to create a new gamertag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 AKGD

Felexicon wrote: »
    No he can't. The migration option was only to migrate to emerging markets. Ireland was never an option on that list. If you want an Irish account you will need to create a new gamertag.

You mean she can't. :)

The best option would seem to be creating a new gamertag. Unfortunately I'm the sort who enjoys seeing their progress all on one account. I did create an Irish account for my husband but was still unable to buy certain games from the marketplace even with an Irish card. Seems I'd need to get an Xbox here if I wanted all the content. There really isn't too much I can't get though, and it's easy enough to get family in the US to mail me locked games, so I'll stick with it for now.

Maybe it won't matter much when the next one comes around. It'll be easy enough to buy with an Irish account and play on my US one. It will also save me from having to use the massive step down converter that currently powers my Xbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Felexicon

AKGD wrote: »
    You mean she can't. :)

The best option would seem to be creating a new gamertag. Unfortunately I'm the sort who enjoys seeing their progress all on one account. I did create an Irish account for my husband but was still unable to buy certain games from the marketplace even with an Irish card. Seems I'd need to get an Xbox here if I wanted all the content. There really isn't too much I can't get though, and it's easy enough to get family in the US to mail me locked games, so I'll stick with it for now.

Maybe it won't matter much when the next one comes around. It'll be easy enough to buy with an Irish account and play on my US one. It will also save me from having to use the massive step down converter that currently powers my Xbox.
    LOL!!!!!! Girls can't play computer games silly

Felexicon wrote: »
    LOL!!!!!! Girls can't play computer games silly

They keep telling me that! Truthfully, between all the sandwich making, there isn't too much time for it. I did managed to log 120 hours in Skyrim so far though! Of course as a girl, I don't actually fight dragons or anything. I help Farkas run the shop and make in game sandwiches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

If you have an Irish Gamertag and an Irish card, you shouldn't have problems buying anything available to all Irish accounts. Your console doesn't matter. The location for region-based DLC is pulled from your Gamertag and IP.

If you have an Irish Gamertag and an Irish card, you shouldn't have problems buying anything available to all Irish accounts. Your console doesn't matter. The location for region-based DLC is pulled from your Gamertag and IP.

Not sure what the problem was then. I was trying to pick up Kameo during that 75% off sale a week or two ago. It was available in the Irish store from my Irish account, but kept saying I couldn't buy it. It seems like it only happens on full games where transactions are in dollars or euro. Luckily I've had no problems buying or using MS points.

Advertisement