Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor Lost €140m last year

Options
  • 10-07-2012 1:01pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭

Most of that was Goodwill ( an accounting loss)

However €30m of the loss was a real money loss on a turnover of only €410m ( down from €458m the previous year). By year I mean to end June 2011. This corresponded to the peak of the eMobile launch budget which was late 2010 and early 2011.

Christ knows how much they lost since. The eMobile launch co incided with a large scale fall in revenue as we can see.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2012/0515/1224316128842.html
    Meteor posts pretax losses of €146m

EIRCOM’S MOBILE subsidiary Meteor recorded pretax losses last year of €146.6 million after booking an impairment charge of €112 million.

Accounts just filed by Meteor Mobile Communications Ltd show revenues declined by 10.7 per cent from €458 million to €408.9 million in the 12 months to June 30th last year.

The impairment charge reflects lower cash flows in Meteor’s business plans, due to increased competition, a weaker macroeconomic environment accentuated by the International Monetary Fund bailout and the impact of Budget 2011, reduced consumer spending and rising unemployment, the directors said.
    I can't see where they will find 10s of €ms to buy meaningful amounts of 4g spectrum later this month neither!! eircom will probably bid from central funds.

Meteor were turning over €500m a year in around 2008 and 2009.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Could it be that Meteor are still the "student" network (though I suppose that's been eaten into by 3 in recent times) where most customers are still PAYG who don't spend big on phones or long contracts.

Hence why eMobile was set up to appeal to the more "grown up" customer?

(terms used for want of better ones.. although I still can't fathom adults who have PAYG phones when even a €20 per month contract offers better value in most cases)

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Matt Bauer

Meteor. Students. Bad coverage. Not any less expensive. Is it any wonder they're bleeding money?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Could it be that Meteor are still the "student" network (though I suppose that's been eaten into by 3 in recent times) where most customers are still PAYG who don't spend big on phones or long contracts.

Hence why eMobile was set up to appeal to the more "grown up" customer?

(terms used for want of better ones.. although I still can't fathom adults who have PAYG phones when even a €20 per month contract offers better value in most cases)

I pay 20 pm with three. I get free three to three calls all week. free any network call at weekend. free any network texts anytime. Unlimited internet and best of all....................NO CONTRACT!!

The closest metoer has is 20.33 per month giving 200 mins, 200 texts and 500 mb internet and on an 18 month contract!!

Now I am now master detective but I can see straight away why someone like meteor are losing money. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

frag420 wrote: »
    I pay 20 pm with three. I get free three to three calls all week. free any network call at weekend. free any network texts anytime. Unlimited internet and best of all....................NO CONTRACT!!

The closest metoer has is 20.33 per month giving 200 mins, 200 texts and 500 mb internet and on an 18 month contract!!

Now I am now master detective but I can see straight away why someone like meteor are losing money. :cool:

Depends on the deal really and it's one area that people really need to shop around.

I'm on 200 minutes, 200 texts and 1 gig a month data with Meteor with their 30 day notice contract. €15.00 a month which was on offer a few months ago.

For a fiver more you would get free internet and any network texts and no 30 notice to cancel on Three.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Matt Bauer

For a fiver more you would get free internet and any network texts and no 30 notice to cancel on Three.

The internet you get on Meteor is very limited compared with 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

That's not true, you get 1 GB internet with that plan and it's 30 day contract. Assuming your talking about SIM Only.

Sorry, I am refering to three.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Matt Bauer wrote: »

The internet you get on Meteor is very limited compared with 3.

? In what sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

I'm surprised it's not vodafone reporting losses. That company is a joke.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

although I still can't fathom adults who have PAYG phones when even a €20 per month contract offers better value in most cases)

Um, as one of these aforementioned adults you speak of- I have to tell you that you could not possibly be more incorrect. Only the high end bill pay plans come anywhere near 3's prepay offer. The 20 a month contracts on billpay are only any good if all your contacts are on that network.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

48 have all you can eat mobile voice/text and 20 mins landline for a tenner, beat that? Not on it myself but if non contract thats what Id go for.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Wcool

Soon the best company (Meteor, Eircom, Voda, 3, O2, EMobile, any MVNO) will be the one with the best data plan, who cares about free minutes and free texts anymore???

Look for the best data plan, the rest does not matter

jordainius wrote: »
    Um, as one of these aforementioned adults you speak of- I have to tell you that you could not possibly be more incorrect. Only the high end bill pay plans come anywhere near 3's prepay offer. The 20 a month contracts on billpay are only any good if all your contacts are on that network.

Well I pay €35 per month and for that I get free (effectively) unlimited calls and texts to any Irish mobile number and land line, 15GB data and free use of eircom's public WiFi spots (with eMobile)

I've yet to see any PAYG offer that'll compare to that. And I've dealt with 3's version of "customer care" and I'll gladly pay a bit more not to deal with people who sound more mechanical and scripted than the menu system before them.

But that's me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Cheapphones

Meteor are gone massively downhill since Eircom stuck their big brown noses in, period.. They are competing with themselves basically, offering their meteor customers better value on the Emobile network?? Eircom Group is somewhere in the region of 3.5 Billion in debt as far I know?? But sure as long as the fat cats are paying themselves well in the top of the HQ Building who cares right?? I love the fact that these guys lost millions and millions and continue to pat themselves on the back... Champagne anyone??

• Registered Users Posts: 13 lolz90

Where have you seen a Meteor (or Eircom) director clap themselves on the back in the last few weeks?

lolz90 wrote: »
    Where have you seen a Meteor (or Eircom) director clap themselves on the back in the last few weeks?

They seem to be oblivious to what is going on around them. They are still trading away doing the same things they were doing wrong a year ago. There heads are up in the clouds!! If you know any of them, could you arrange a meeting and I'll bring them back down to earth!!

Well I pay €35 per month and for that I get free (effectively) unlimited calls and texts to any Irish mobile number and land line, 15GB data and free use of eircom's public WiFi spots (with eMobile)

I've yet to see any PAYG offer that'll compare to that. And I've dealt with 3's version of "customer care" and I'll gladly pay a bit more not to deal with people who sound more mechanical and scripted than the menu system before them.

Is that plan still available anywhere? This is a common feature of discussions regarding mobile plans on this site. No point in mentioning it unless it's current.
    They seem to be oblivious to what is going on around them. They are still trading away doing the same things they were doing wrong a year ago. There heads are up in the clouds!! If you know any of them, could you arrange a meeting and I'll bring them back down to earth!!
    Eircom have just emerged from examinership if I am not mistaken. They have new owners and new directors as far as I am aware. They are struggling with a legacy of debt.

ballooba wrote: »
    Is that plan still available anywhere? This is a common feature of discussions regarding mobile plans on this site. No point in mentioning it unless it's current.

Current thread on it in Bargain Alerts

I had it before this but same thing :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

With Meteor being seen as a student network and 48 coming into the market it was always going to take customers from them.

48 are on the O2 network thus better coverage, don't know about their customer service but I'd reckon its not any worse than Meteor's.

They're still bringing in some serious dollar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

With Meteor being seen as a student network and 48 coming into the market it was always going to take customers from them.

48 are on the O2 network thus better coverage, don't know about their customer service but I'd reckon its not any worse than Meteor's.

They're still bringing in some serious dollar.

48 have a decent offer, but one of the many reasons I wont switch is meteor is already charging me 15 euro a month for 200 mins and texts + 1GB, I cant switch the rest of the family over to 48, cause my mum refuses to move to any other network as most of her friends use meteor.

Lastly, they have no outlets. If you lose your phone or need SIM replacement your screwed without a phone number to ring for a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

48 have a decent offer, but one of the many reasons I wont switch is meteor is already charging me 15 euro a month for 200 mins and texts + 1GB, I cant switch the rest of the family over to 48, cause my mum refuses to move to any other network as most of her friends use meteor.

Lastly, they have no outlets. If you lose your phone or need SIM replacement your screwed without a phone number to ring for a week.

Yeah they are good points, I'm on 48 but still have my meteor sim, as I didn't move my number over. Originally moved to give it a try for a while and its cheaper and as good as meteor so staying with 48 for a while longer...despite being 24:)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

From what I can gather, eMobile was meant to go after Vodafone's Postpaid base but ultimately ended up just taking Meteor's Postpaid base.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

From what I can gather, eMobile was meant to go after Vodafone's Postpaid base but ultimately ended up just taking Meteor's Postpaid base.

eMobile actively poached Meteor customers from the time they launched. I still don't get why they would do that to themselves. Why would you start a company to take all the valuable customers from your existing company and charge them less? The mind boggles.

eMobile actively poached Meteor customers from the time they launched. I still don't get why they would do that to themselves. Why would you start a company to take all the valuable customers from your existing company and charge them less? The mind boggles.

It's called commissions and an easy database to target for salesteam, who have all customers info in front of them anyway!! Why chase Vodafone etc etc, when you have them feeding out of the palm of your hand on the meteor end..

Also makes emobile look like they are up and coming and connecting big numbers of new customers, so maybe they have an interest in flogging emobile off to another network?? I wouldn't be surprised, the figures would look good on paper surely? Even though they are in reality existing customers that only changed to a cheaper tariff. Shouldn't complain to much, it's good for the consumer.

As for whoever they intend possibly to sell the network off to,which is just a theory!! Let the buyer beware!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Around last October I stopped being an active Meteor customer. I switched to 3 for a better deal for my €20 a month. I know 3 gets more of their fair share of bashing on forums here but I'm happy with their service. Anyway I got a letter from Meteor this week saying it had been a while since I topped up and offering deals to coax me back. As I have said it's been since last October roughly since I stopped dealing with Meteor and I always top-up every month regardless of network provider so I think from their point of view they're slipping slightly with keeping customers on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭gunnerfitzy

jordainius wrote: »

I top up with €30 with meteor and get unlimited mobile and national calls and an additional €20 free credit. From that credit €10 goes on my data 1GB BlackBerry add on. I usually text with BBM/Cabbage/Whatsapp so v little regular SMS. Also have use of Eircom wifi. Usually have €38 credit at the end of the month from inital investment of €30. Show me a billpay plan where you end up with more than you spend! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

I pay 20euro a month for 3GB's data 200mins and 200sms plus free meteor to meteor calls and texts (and I can tether with the data). Much better for me then three's bill or pre pay offers as far as I can see.

cookie1977 wrote: »
    I pay 20euro a month for 3GB's data 200mins and 200sms plus free meteor to meteor calls and texts (and I can tether with the data). Much better for me then three's bill or pre pay offers as far as I can see.
    This sounds interesting. Do you have a link?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

ballooba wrote: »
    This sounds interesting. Do you have a link?

I got the bill pay lite sim only plan when it was 15euro (it's now 20 euro) a month for 200mins and SMS as well as 2GB's data. I added the blackberry add on for 5 euro giving me another 2gb's of data:
    http://www.meteor.ie/bill-pay/bill-pay-sim-only-plans/

Advertisement