Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possibility of PS4 been released before Xmas 2012

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 538 ✭✭✭little big planet 2

its alright lookin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

You'll see the new xbox (one equal to the ps3) before the ps4

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

You'll see the new xbox (one equal to the ps3) before the ps4

The 360 is already equal to the PS3. the 360 has a more powerful GPU and better RAM allocation variables than the PS3 while the PS3 has a more powerful CPU. Need to do your homework boy and stop believing marketing waffle.

The Nextbox and PS4 are reportedly using a GPU from the same family, the AMD/ATi Radeon 7000 series so they will be a close match for each other graphically when released.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭solarith

The 360 is already equal to the PS3. the 360 has a more powerful GPU and better RAM allocation variables than the PS3 while the PS3 has a more powerful CPU. Need to do your homework boy and stop believing marketing waffle.

The Nextbox and PS4 are reportedly using a GPU from the same family, the AMD/ATi Radeon 7000 series so they will be a close match for each other graphically when released.
    AND Xbox sales are still strong in the US!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

aindriu80 wrote: »
    There is nothing new on the market at the moment in terms on hardware that Sony can make into a new console thats any better.

???????
    You are kidding right?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

feeney92 wrote: »
    Sony claimed they wanted a 10 year life span out of the ps3, which was released in 2006, so we still have 4 more years of ps3

The PS2 was for sale long after the release of the PS3.
    10 years is the expected time scale of support that the PS3 will receive, from Sony, and not the length of time where it will be their primary console.

Does anyone know what graphics card they will have in the next time?
    ATI 7xxx but will it be a 76xx/78xx etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭solarith

???????
    You are kidding right?
    loooooooooool, I didn't see this originally, thanks for giving me a good laugh there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

The possibility of a PS4 being released before Xmas 2012 is zero.

/thread

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

2012 is impossible.

Some concrete information would have leaked from manufacturing or logistic by now if 2012 was the release.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭RoverZT

The PS2 was for sale long after the release of the PS3.
    10 years is the expected time scale of support that the PS3 will receive, from Sony, and not the length of time where it will be their primary console.

Does anyone know what graphics card they will have in the next time?
    ATI 7xxx but will it be a 76xx/78xx etc?

I would guess it will be a custom 80xx series card.

Late 2013 is the earliest we will see it, Spring 2014 would be my guess.

Cpu will probably be a x86 cpu similar to a mid/low Core i5.

Gpu will be custom 80xx series card, similar in overall power to today's top end graphics cards like 670 gtx/7970 etc.

4 - 8gb of total system ram.

Maybe 256 SSD drive too.

They will have serious power imo, 10-15 times the power of the machines we have now.

They have to blow away current machines, smartphones, tablets etc as a gaming platform.

Sony's future relies on the PS4, so I am hoping for big things from them.

Gakai tech should allow them to stream PS1, PS2 and later on PS3 games over there network, giving them biggest catalogue of games of any platform.

I would hope it includes a mainstream Android OS as well, to open the platform to 1000's of apps and features.

I would struggle to see them putting a 7970 into the machine TBH, even in 16 months the cost would be restrictive, especially if they throw in a SSD.

They may need to beat current tech but if they drive up the cost too much then people will just build a better PC for the same money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

RoverZT wrote: »
    They have to blow away current machines, smartphones, tablets etc as a gaming platform.

The current machines do a grand job of blowing away phones/tablets already. The PS4 is still a ways off yet

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

The PS4 will not come out during Christmas 2012.

PSOne was first announced in 1991 (even though conceptions went as far back in 1996) and the Unit was first released in December 1994 (having said that it took almost a year before a North American and European release). Games were officially made for this console until 2006, about six months shy of the release of PS3

The PS2 was announced in 1999 and released about a year later. Bearing in mind that games are actually still being made for this - Fifa 13 and PES 13 are due to be released on PS2 in September and MLB12 was released for PS2 in North America - 12 years after the consoles release.

PS3 was announced in May 2005 and it took until November 2006 for it to be released, games for this machine could perhaps be made well into the next decade if current trends are to be believed

Based on this I reckon you will see PS4 in Japan in November 2013 and Christmas in Europe/North America, that is the most likely estimate based on Sony's most recent trends.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

what bugs me is that no matter when the PS4 will come out it will be nothing we haven't already seen on a very good PC if not quite as good. The Xbox and PS4 using the same technology is another bore, its just the shape of the box that will be different. It seem PC wins most graphics battles and you can plug a HDMI cable into a T.V and get some kind of controller.

I would imagine that it would be a mid to high PC spec and not a very good PC

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Youngtree

Stir **** up -
    How much would you be willing to pay?
    How much is too much...
    Considering the original PS3 was .. ~€650 ...
    At the time I was like "OMFG NEVAR PAYING THAT"
    But if in 2013 (prob Q2 2014 tbh..) they release a console for €1000 .. if its fkin amazing.. ill get it .. after the first price drop.

If we want it to be future proof then it has to have more than 4 gigs of RAM (supposed RAM for the nextbox / Xbox Infinity) - Processing power is said to be 12-16 x current Xbox also.. making it around a dual core i5.

If We could get an awesome .. 16gigRam Quad i7 ++ inside the next console (not too unrealistic? ) then i'd pay the ammount for it.
    And it would last!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,845 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

They're not going to release a console for €1000, the blu-ray player is what made the ps3 so expensive, they won't make that mistake again

I would guess €400 in Europe at launch, probably €440 in Ireland because it's always more expensive here for some reason. As someone said above it'll probably just have average pc specs.

ShaneU wrote: »
    They're not going to release a console for €1000, the blu-ray player is what made the ps3 so expensive, they won't make that mistake again

I would guess €400 in Europe at launch, probably €440 in Ireland because it's always more expensive here for some reason. As someone said above it'll probably just have average pc specs.

I think they'll bring it in cheaper than that.

€300-350

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

ShaneU wrote: »

That was because Bluray was new at the time and were very expensive also the Cell was very expensive because it was a custom chip, the only thing off the shelf was the GPU, most of the 360 used off the shelf parts which helped keep the costs down while having the same broad performance as the PS3 minus Bluray. Look how cheap bluray drives and blurays are now.

PS4 will still have a bluray drive but it will have have far faster read times than the one in the PS3 which is very slow.

• Advertisement

But surely you would imagine they would try to make it as up-to-date and latest technology as they could, while keeping cost/space down?

I honestly think that i they're ps vita started out at ~300€ then their main console will be double .. i'd say €550 starting price.

I understand what your saying about the blu-ray player but I think no matter what technology age, there will always be something expensive to pay out for - and Sony probably want to future proof themselves.
    They're not going to make money on the console itself either.. they never do .. its always the software (games,apps,subscriptions,hosting)

This new Gaikai Online Streaming service will offer them a steady subscription based income for the new console also.. :o
    So who knows... they're after their 4th year of loss now so maby they're going for cheap + cheerfull so that everyone can afford the console - and they just make money on the software as is.

Youngtree wrote: »
    But surely you would imagine they would try to make it as up-to-date and latest technology as they could, while keeping cost/space down?

I honestly think that i they're ps vita started out at ~300€ then their main console will be double .. i'd say €550 starting price.
    The Vita wasn't €300.

€600 was a complete disaster, so why would such a marginal difference make a €550 console any different.

Price will likely be $299 to $399, the same price most consoles fell into before the PS3 and 360. Would guess it'll either be near the top of this range or just over.
    I understand what your saying about the blu-ray player but I think no matter what technology age, there will always be something expensive to pay out for - and Sony probably want to future proof themselves.
    They're not going to make money on the console itself either.. they never do .. its always the software (games,apps,subscriptions,hosting)

The Vita had a decent profit per console, and while sales numbers have been low the vita had some of the best components you could ask for.

Fair enough - some good points :)
    I think that what your saying would come to pass in the logical world, where we apply common sense to the situation. We are however, dealing with Sony here - the best bad mistake makers around.

Imagine if they opened an App for PS3 - which allowed ports of indie titles from pc to be played.
    It could even be a Steam based service. Sony would win by getting x% of the cut - Steam would win by getting almost all of the money. More people would turn around and go "Well .. if I can play steam games on Console then yes". The Developers wouldn't have to pay rediculious money to sony for hosting/testing/patches - it would all be Steam side.

I just feel shunted allot when using the PS3 and knowing what else is out there. Just my opinion that Sony aren't the best at doing whats right and just. Look at the rediculious PS Store - layout is infathomably bad - Categories are rediculious and a-z listing sometimes brings you to what you want... but probably wont.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭mcpaddington

Varik wrote: »
    I think they'll bring it in cheaper than that.

€300-350

That's what I reckon too, supposedly microsoft is aiming to launch the next xbox at $299. Sony really needs to improve PSN or I'll be jumping over to microsoft for the next gen.

Sony will charge for the next gen PSN, so I imagine that it will be more loved than the current offering.

TBH there will need to be some crazy good exclusives, to convince me to get a Sony console again

Sony will charge for the next gen PSN, so I imagine that it will be more loved than the current offering.

I think they'll leave basic multiplayer free but PlayStation Plus will include any of the new PS4 online features with the exception of maybe cross game chat.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭SC Kevin

dont know how accurate this is but...

Locked games? Well they can f##k right off if that's the case

• Registered Users Posts: 14,845 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

That video is pure speculation

• Advertisement

True but I would not put it past Sony

Advertisement