Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

For how long would you bake these marinated pork chops?

Options
  • 10-07-2012 1:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I marinated pork chops overnight for yesterday's dinner, using this recipe, with a few changes:

http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/1833/marinated-pork-chops.aspx

Don't like soy sauce so just used water and salt instead, also used balsamic vinegar instead of Worchestershire sauce. I have a fan-assisted oven so baked for 35 mins at 170C rather than the 190C in the recipe. I had a gut feeling that 35 mins was too long and the pork chop, while lovely due to the overnight marinade, seemed a bit tough. Do you think they are just being cautious here as it's pork? For what length of time would you bake it? I have another marinating today for tonight's dinner. :)

Many thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

I would say using water instead of soy sauce will not have helped.
    Also pork chops do better if they are panfried like a steak and then finished off in the oven. Not too long or they will be tough and dry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

I would say using water instead of soy sauce will not have helped.
    Also pork chops do better if they are panfried like a steak and then finished off in the oven. Not too long or they will be tough and dry.

Can you be more specific re: times, pan heat, oven heat etc?

Really really not keen on soy. The reason I substituted it with water and salt is that it's very salty so I knew that salt would have to incorporated in some way, so I worked out how much salt was contained in 100ml of soy sauce. If you can suggest another alternative, I'm all ears! :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I bake marinated chops in a fan oven at 180c for 25 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

It all deepends on the thickness of the chop, really and I personally don't tend to use the oven for pork chops.
    Heat a heavy pan on a medium high heat and bring some oil or butter in the pan. Fry the chops.

A 3/4-inch chop will take about 6 to 10 minutes total cooking time. Thinner cuts will take less time. The thicker the cut, the more moderate the heat, but thinner cuts can be done on higher heat for less time. A thicker cut will take longer (a 1-1/2-inch chop will take about 15 to 20 minutes).

It's important to rest the meat before tucking into it, though.

Advertisement