Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What breed of goat to leave with cattle

• 10-07-2012 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Any one know what sex of goat or breed of goat is best to leave with cattle. The goat is supposed to keep away ticks witch create red water which can kill cattle. I know nuttin about goats.so just wunderin if any one knew about goats and what type is best to keep away ticks. Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

I wouldn't like to be depending on a goat to control redwater.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

I know a lad who keeps a few large breed Swiss dairy goats with his Holstein dairy herd - they see to get on fine sharing the same paddocks

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭mikeoh

any breed will do aslong as its female .....the smell of a puck will drive cattle mad....................but I never heard of a goat killing redwater around here they use a female ass or horse their urine kills the snail or so they say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

mikeoh wrote: »
    use a female ass or horse their urine kills the snail or so they say

As the snail has no part to play in redwater, an Ass or Horse will have as little impact as a Goat.
    I would think the theory may have something to do with grazing down tight.
    I'd be more inclined to use a pour on that will hit the Ticks and/or Imizol.
    Your Vet will tell you the dose regime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭munkus

Red water is a curse on some of our land, old pastures I suppose. We use Bayticol pour-on for any cattle in these areas. It's expensive but worthwhile.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 252 ✭✭PureBred

munkus wrote: »
    Red water is a curse on some of our land, old pastures I suppose. We use Bayticol pour-on for any cattle in these areas. It's expensive but worthwhile.

Same here munkus. Bayticol only job. Bout €100 a bottle though, but better safe than sorry.

Advertisement