Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cavachon

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭sral1

andreac wrote: »
    Sorry but thats very very different. They werent cross breeding them to make a quick buck and give them fancy, stupid names to entice people to buy them :rolleyes: Its worlds apart that type of breeding and you cannot even begin to compare the two at all.

The rottie can be traced back to mastiff type breeds like the Tibetan Mastiff. What a lot of people dont know is that the Rottweiler was used as herding dog.
    I don't agree,, we live in a world that is constantly changing ,,good or bad,, sticking your head in the sand and not seeing the good in changes but just the bad points will get you nowhere. The cavachon is a wonderful little mix of two breeds that have been abused by people who have been out to make a fast buck as you say.... They are a delightful happy little dogs suitable for todays modern family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Irishchick

sral1 wrote: »
    The cavachon is a wonderful little mix of two breeds .

Eh, no not really. Do you not know anything of the plethora of diseases and conditions both those breeds are predisposed too?

Of all the breeds anyone could decide to cross those are probably one of the worst. Maybe second behind Cavalier X westie

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭sral1

Irishchick wrote: »
    Eh, no not really. Do you not know anything of the plethora of diseases and conditions both those breeds are predisposed too?

Of all the breeds anyone could decide to cross those are probably one of the worst. Maybe second behind Cavalier X westie
    Eh, not all Cavaliers or Bichons have a plethora of diseases or conditions in their background. Otherwise there would be no healthy Cavaliers or Bichons:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Eh, not all Cavaliers or Bichons have a plethora of diseases or conditions in their background. Otherwise there would be no healthy Cavaliers or Bichons:rolleyes:

I think the fact is there are very few healthy cavaliers! By the age of 5 it is basically a given that they will have a heart murmur/problem of some description!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ferretone

But breeding 2 pure-breds together gives absolutely no guarantee of which traits from each you're going to get, as many on here have pointed out. And the breeders with the healthiest stock do not go around crossing with other breeds to see what they'll get, as they are very serious about improving their own breeds. Which is why buying such crosses is like subjecting you're poor little pup to a double Russian roulette. Some may get very lucky. But sadly many more do come away with a pup who has a combination of all the problems of both breeds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭Rommie

I don't know about that. i'm willing to bet the pug X cavalier is pretty high up there. Yes let's mix two breeds with breathing and heart problems together, give it a stupid name and sell it for hundreds!! Brilliant idea!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ferretone

Rommie wrote: »
    I don't know about that. i'm willing to bet the pug X cavalier is pretty high up there. Yes let's mix two breeds with breathing and heart problems together, give it a stupid name and sell it for hundreds!! Brilliant idea!

Another great example I saw get very popular a couple years ago was the "puggle". Great potential to produce dogs with the breathing and heart problems of the pug, alongside the high energy and prey drive of the beagle! Nice one :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Don't forget, let's not bother to microchip pups or vaccinate them properly. And if someone comes back to us and tells is their pup has problems, let's bred from the parents all over again and get more money! Lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

To be perfectly honest I have never heard of a person who crosses these two breeds and does any of the necessary screening. If you know otherwise then perhaps you would be kind enough to PM me those details and I will happily pass them on to any and all posters making this enquiry in future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭Rommie

Millem wrote: »
    Don't forget, let's not bother to microchip pups or vaccinate them properly. And if someone comes back to us and tells is their pup has problems, let's bred from the parents all over again and get more money! Lol

But, sure, how will they come back to us if there's a problem? We'll already have changed phone numbers and sure we met them halfway so they've no idea where the dogs actually came from. Now then, how about throwing an inheat st bernard into the yard with a shih tzu, I want to breed some St ****nards.

Crossbreeding isn't a problem when it's done for a real reason, such as the crossing in of a pointer into dalmatian lines to eliminate a certain blood disorder (i think, not sure of that). Now, pointers and dalmatians look pretty similar, same size-ish, same hair type, same colours, so you take the best, healthiest (with genetic health tests) specimens and before long you've bred a few generations of healthier dallies. This is NOT the same as throwing two random small fluffies together without health testing only to breed them, give them a stupid name and make some money.
    A guy told me last year that he used to breed purebred yorkies and poodles, now he breeds the two to each other and charges 400quid because people thought they were hypoallergenic because of the poodle in them. Of course they weren't and he really did not care that he was conning people. Why would he, he was making 400quid a pup!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Now then, how about throwing an inheat st bernard into the yard with a shih tzu, I want to breed some St ****nards.
    !

I kid you not, on placement last year I saw the victim of an experiment to create a labra-russle. The jacker was the mother. I nearly got sick. One gigantic dead puppy had to be taken out by section. The mother looked like she was pregnant with at least 6, and she very nearly died in the process.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

I kid you not, on placement last year I saw the victim of an experiment to create a labra-russle. The jacker was the mother. I nearly got sick. One gigantic dead puppy had to be taken out by section. The mother looked like she was pregnant with at least 6, and she very nearly died in the process.

This gave me the chills, that is absolutely disgusting! I could never imagine my lab & jack russel mating even if the lab did have all the bits still! I work in a pet store that doesn't stock animals so people take their dogs in daily, I have seen two separate families with "Pugadors" , I can only hope the mother was the labrador. That's the kind of crossbreeding that sickens me. I am not opposed to cross breeding to be honest as the majority of terriers/larger dogs ARE crossbred, our last terrier a cairn terrier x (i think) lived to 19 years with no health problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

Can we please tone down the aggression in this thread as the tone being used here is completely defeating the purpose. Not everyone is aware of the dangers associated with puppy buying, so please use the opportunity to offer constructive advise rather the current style of posting that isn't going to do anything other than turn people away from the forum.
    **Vai** wrote: »
    Yeah complaining about cavachons and then advising someone to go IKC only seems a bit rich.

Do yourself a favour OP and get yourself a little mongrel from a rescue, it'll save you a boatload in both upfront costs and medical costs down the line.

Cavachon me hole.
    Hellrazer wrote: »

Vai-theres already been a Mod waring given on thread.Now calm it down or I will be infracting and or issuing bans.

Sorry but thats ridiculous, there was no aggression in my post. I was perfectly calm when typing it, as I am now. There was also some constructive advise so I fail to see where I disobeyed the original mod post.

Feel free to infract or ban me if you think its warranted but dont warn me when I have done nothing wrong.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

**Vai** wrote: »
    Sorry but thats ridiculous, there was no aggression in my post.

Well other users that reported it thought otherwise.

There was also some constructive advise so I fail to see where I disobeyed the original mod post.

Agreed there was but when you said
    Cavachon me hole
    Thats when it was reported.

Feel free to infract or ban me if you think its warranted but dont warn me when I have done nothing wrong.

Im not infracting you for your post as I could have done that before I posted and decided an on thread warning was enough.

However I am issuing a yellow card you for arguing with a mod on thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Justask

This thread is just typical of this part of boards hence why I dont come here anymore.

One member gets a warning for giving good advice but another poster is let say what she wants. <snip> I have seen it over and over again in A&P.... Its such a shame for people who want geniune advice and is replied with things like "words fail me you havent a clue" and <snip>. just a couple of examples. I just dont understand :confused:

Not very fair IMO. No problen with getting a ban here cos I dont come here anymore because of this very reason.

Would be nice if there was fair warnings given to posters

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Justask wrote: »
    This thread is just typical of this part of boards hence why I dont come here anymore.

One member gets a warning for giving good advice but another poster is let say what she wants. <snip> I have seen it over and over again in A&P.... Its such a shame for people who want geniune advice and is replied with things like "words fail me you havent a clue" and <snip>. just a couple of examples. I just dont understand :confused:

Why have you taken it upon yourself to link to and refer to posts by another user as some form of back-seat moderating? You have only ever bothered to report one post in this forum by that user which was in this thread and was dealt with accordingly. The warning post is not directed to one specific user because it's content refers to everyone who might feel like continuing that trend. Nor have you ever brought your feelings on the matter to the attention of any of the forum mods at any stage, so what exactly do you think gets done about perceived issues that no-one knows exists?
    Justask wrote: »

Not very fair IMO. No problen with getting a ban here cos I dont come here anymore because of this very reason.

Would be nice if there was fair warnings given to posters

smile.gif

Fair warning was given to every single person, go back and re-read my post - it gives fair warning to everyone who is considering posting beyond that point. Why would you get a ban? you'll get a yellow card the same as everyone else.

If anyone else wants to make comment on this beyond this point however they can have a month off form the forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I remembered this thread today. Trading at a Sunday market in a village where there was festival , including a dog show. A family came to the stall, the girl carrying a dog; as usual I asked what breed.... cavachon...

She spoke as if it were a valid breed, and she paid E200 for the puppy... Eyes heavenward when she said that.

Pretty dog... But the price...

This is Cork, by the way.

Advertisement