Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Changing Jamma Harness Question

• 10-07-2012 2:26pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Possible stupid question here..

I bought a new Jamma harness and want to stick it into a cab i have here. currently the crt in it displays no picture.

Can i change the Jamma harness in the cab without discharging the monitor??

I just dont want to electrocute myself, if the cab is switched off am i ok to change this?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Howdy!,

It's all just molex connectors for the monitor so no. The Jamma harness will connect to the video output of the monitor and speakers and you will need to wire it up for power, player buttons and coin door /credit button.

Take a look here for information on which wires go where.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

so i cant change it without discharging?

You don't have to. Repairs that involve removing the chassis from the tube you discharge the montor.

If you want complete peace of mind just discharge it otherwise just plug it out and disconnect the molex connectors connected to the jamma harness and avoid touching the flyback obviously!

http://www.arcaderepairtips.com has some good info and videos you should check out.

ah cheers, ill give that a read thanks a lot! if you dont hear from me again... things went wrong. haha..

keithgeo wrote: »
    ah cheers, ill give that a read thanks a lot! if you dont hear from me again... things went wrong. haha..

I've been shocked before, two hours after the cabinet had been powered down. I lived to tell the tale and was more concerned I'd broken the machine!

You'll be fine once you've invested in some rubber 'croc' shoes and don't have a pacemaker. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Yes its fine, your only plugging a molex r,g,b,gr,sync into the chassis, noting live.
    its perfectly safe, just don't go pulling the anode cap off the tube

and if your marque light bulb needs a test, give this a try.

haha i think ill pass on doing that, that lads crazy!

So I removed the old Jamma harness from the cab i bought a couple of weeks ago. I bought a new one off ebay to replace it. The power and Video on the old Jamma harness was connected via molex connecters.

Video connected to a cable hanging from the back of the monitor

Power connected into the power supply.

My new Jamma harness is just wire for video and power.

How do i connect these in? How can i connect the power to powersupply with no connecter on it? Do i have to add one myself?

Here is an image of the new power wires and the old with the connecter on the end... Help! :confused:

IMG_2341.jpg

You can either buy pins for that molex connector in radionics or don't use it,
    For the 5going into the back of the monitor either get new pins or cut and join the wires, I'd the heat shrink each wire

So i need to get 2 molex connecters (or use the old ones), one for video and one for the power?

Also do the wires have to go into the right sections in the molex connecter or can i put them anywhere? im guessing i have to find out what each one is from the jamma harness and put it in a certain hole in the molex connecter?

is there a special tool i need for putting these wires in?

Ive never done this before. thanks!

• Advertisement

keithgeo wrote: »
    So i need to get 2 molex connecters (or use the old ones), one for video and one for the power?

Also do the wires have to go into the right sections in the molex connecter or can i put them anywhere? im guessing i have to find out what each one is from the jamma harness and put it in a certain hole in the molex connecter?

is there a special tool i need for putting these wires in?

Ive never done this before. thanks!
    I think there is a special tool but its handy enough to just push them in by hand or the more stubborn ones with a small flat head screwdriver, its taking the old ones out that's difficult.
    When I changed my harness I just wired everything directly without using molex connectors, I got a new molex plug for the monitor alright. But
    I ran all my wires directly to the control panel/speaker.
    If I ever want to put the molex connector back in I can just cut the loom and pop it in:eek:

Bob roberts has an excellent guide here

Its just so confusing, normally id have no problem installing this. the power supply has a connecter on it so it looks like i need to add a connecter onto the jamma harness. i dont think i can just wire it up. photo below.

IMG_2334.jpg

The one on the right is the old jamma harness plugged into the power supply. so i need to take that, find out which wires are in which holes on that molex, and put the correct wires from the new jamma harness into the same holes?

Ah, I see I've never seen a PSU like that before. That looks like it was originally specific to a game.
    All my cabs have had something similar to this in them, best look up the manual for that PSU or dust off the multimeter and draw up a pinout diagram
    jammapowersupplysuper.jpg

yeh there is one of them in the other cab i have, they seem straight forward, unfortunatly this one is different..

Mitchmagic will have arcade power supplies which will make it a lot easier.

Advertisement