Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mild Autism in a 3.5 yr old boy

Options
  • 10-07-2012 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭

Hi there
    wondering if anyone could help or has experience. our son has been flagged for autism and the likely outcome is either mild autism/asbergers I was wondering do people have any information/experiences of centres that would cater to that level of autism in the Wicklow area?

Thanks in advance for any help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Son of Jack

http://www.triplea.ie/

Triple A Alliance is a very helpful support group in Wicklow.
    It really helps to talk to people who are on the same journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Mr. Muddle

http://www.autismireland.ie/

Irish Autism Action will be able to put you in touch with parent groups etc. Also they will be able to give you advise on what your options are regarding early intervention and therapy and how to go about applying for the supports you need.

The earlier you get good help for you son the better, you may be able to get home support or get him into a suitable playschool that will help him. My nephew has autism he is older I know of many kids who are high functioning autism/asbergers who are doing really well now in main stream school many without an sna. I know of one who is now in college and also has a summer job.

Good luck with your journey, it is worth going to a parent group if there is one in your area, those parents have been through the same thing as you and will have the best advise on where to get help in your area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

Just wanted to let you know that I have two friends whose children were diagnosed with autism at an early age but now have prepubescent kids that, while are still challenging, fall in the 'normal' spectrum and are in fully integrated schooling, so there is hope

One thing that is really effective is Applied Behaviour Analysis (ABA), the basic principal being that you ignore the 'bad' behaviour and reward the good behaviour...there's a lot more to it than this but that's the main jist of it. They used to have a clinic/research centre at UCD but I don't know if its still in action.

Where the child is suspected aspergers/on the milder side of the spectrum I think it is really important to keep the child in contact with their peer group and to continually reinforce the 'norms' of social behaviour...its not something that will come naturally to your child but it is something that they can learn with your help and you are so fortunate that you have an awareness of this at such a young age that you can help them through it.
    Best of luck, op!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

Thanks all for your kind answers and helpful responses they are really appreciated

Advertisement