Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacement Watch Battery

• 10-07-2012 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭

Right....yesterday afternoon walked into a Jewellers on Shelbourne Road Dublin 4 to get my watch battery changed. Can't get the back off the watch myself, so needed to be brought to a shop.:eek:
    I ask how much before he starts.
    Guy (without blinking) says €15....and he wouldn't budge on the price...thinking that was a bit over the top I said to forget about it and I walked out.:mad:
    This afternoon, walked into a Jewellers in Greystones, Co. Wicklow ( I get about a bit), where the guy changes the battery in front of me in less than 5 mins and charges me the princely sum of €5.:)
    No wonder this country's in the state it's in.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

No wonder this country's in the state it's in.
    Is the state of the country due to your not being willing to pay enough so that the jeweller can put food on his family's table?

Changing a watch battery is one of those things on which I have a clear price expectation: it's €5. I have never paid more, and I think I have never paid less.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭birdwatcher

Duly edited!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Ditto!

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

€5 is a good price. €15 less so, alright, but you did vote with your feet and find a cheaper option. Sometimes though, some guys do a thorough job (reseal the watchback, pressure test etc) which can increase the price, so it can depend on the amount of work they undertake. If the watch is expensive, sometimes its worth getting an 'expert' job done. I dont know, however, if thats what the €15 job would have been.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Galia

Well done !:) 15 euro rip off!!
    5 euro is the right price ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Depending on the back of your watch you can often change the battery yourself. I have a little lip on mine that you can slide something thin under and pop open the back.

I bought a sheet of watch batteries in a euro store years ago and change it whenever it stops (last time was about 3 years ago). I paid two euro for the sheet of batteries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,719 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Bit off topic but kudos to H Samuels from a few years ago. The strap on my watch became detached and the spring bit launched itself into space. Went into H Samuels Galway to try and get a new spring thingy. He hunted around, found the part and fitted the strap. Total cost ZERO! Used them for all my jewellery needs after.

Advertisement