Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Deleting messages on iPhone 4

• 10-07-2012 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hey there guys, hope you can help! I deleted a contact from my iphone 4 without first deleting their messages, now my phone won't allow me to delete these messages! When I go in to edit, the messages don't appear to be there, there's just a list of contacts and the conversations I've had with them via text but when I go into search at the top of this page and type any letter it brings up all the texts containing this letter, several of which are to and from deleted contact! When I touch on these to edit and therefore delete, it highlights them but won't go in to that conversation as it would with a regular contact and it won't let me delete them. I have tried re-entering contact but the phone didn't reassign texts to contact so no good! Anyone able to help?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

have you tried swiping left to right on the message and tapping delete, this wont work if you go into the message

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Skybecky

Tried that but messages only appear when you type a letter in search at the top of that page and the swiping to delete doesn't work there even without going into the message itself

You should be able to scroll and find the message without scrolling but I don't know why it won't delete. Maybe have a look on support.apple.com

• Registered Users Posts: 5 nighthawk12

Hi becky maybe you should not have deleted this contact as you will find out what goes around comes around as im sure you will find out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭2qk4u

Can you re enter the contact you deleted and then delete the messages and then delete the contact again ?

• Advertisement

Tried re entering contact but phone wouldn't reassign texts to that person

Hi becky maybe you should not have deleted this contact as you will find out what goes around comes around as im sure you will find out.
    I love that you're standing up for someone you don't know or the reason I deleted them, I don't have to worry about anything coming back around to me !

Was it iMessages by any chance and you had an email address as a contact for the person. That's they only thing I can think that would cause the messages not to fall under whatever contact

No guil, just regular SMS ! If you add yourself as a contact in your iPhone send yourself a message and then delete yourself as a contact you'll see what I mean, remember the first couple of letters of the message tho because you'll need these when searching for the message afterwards. I'm waiting on a call back from apple support tomorrow so hopefully it'll get sorted one way or another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,592 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Skybecky wrote: »
    If you add yourself as a contact in your iPhone send yourself a message and then delete yourself as a contact you'll see what I mean, remember the first couple of letters of the message tho because you'll need these when searching for the message afterwards.

I've done this, and also with an old contact that didn't need.
    I didn't have any issues like you describe.

When I deleted the contact. The message conversations now appear under the phone number and not the contact name. i can see them on the list and I can search for them, I open the conversation and delete it. When I exit, that text is still shown under the search box as the results are cached. But clearing, or closing and opening the app wips this.
    The number still appears as an empty conversation in the list, so i swipe to clear that.

Try close the app in the background, or try rebooting.

• Advertisement

I tried it aswell and it works as Mellor said. Try turning the phone off and back on and go back to messages. Look through the list of messages rather than searching and see if it's still there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭brophs

Is this the stupidest thing ever posted on the internet?

Hey guys, just an update for ye, thanks for all the help, was on to apple support and the problem was new to them, went through a lot of resetting etc but had to return phone to factory settings in the end ! Was on to a nice guy called Eamon, who literally went through everything to try sort it, I guess it'll give apple a new bug to sort out !

Advertisement