Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2012 Entrants

• 10-07-2012 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭

Looking to start a thread for anyone considering/intending on starting college in DCU in Sept 2012. This includes mature students as well as leaving certers.

Let's get the discussion going. What's everyone most excited about? I can't wait to join societies and stuff seems like a great laugh! :p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Xqzciara

starting a masters in October, very excited but also a little nervous. I know I shouldnt be, Iv already done an undergrad, and its a very interesting area..but DCU is bigger than Maynooth and lil ol me cant help but have a few nerves. Hoping to join a few societies. Any other post-grads out there??

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭echo.lima

I'm starting International Relations soon. Just waiting on the registration info. I'm really excited about joining some of the clubs and socs mainly unicef and the business society and am hoping to compete for the college in weightlifting so fingers crossed. And of course I'm looking forward to the new people i'm going to meet. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭KeithTS

Xqzciara wrote: »
    starting a masters in October, very excited but also a little nervous. I know I shouldnt be, Iv already done an undergrad, and its a very interesting area..but DCU is bigger than Maynooth and lil ol me cant help but have a few nerves. Hoping to join a few societies. Any other post-grads out there??

Don't be nervous because DCU seems big, once you spend a few days here you'll realise how small it actually is.

The staff and students are all chilled out and very easy to get along with too in my experience so you won't have any trouble in that regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Triangular

Provided I have Grant appeal success, I hope to be attending too. I was talking to a lady in the registrations office on Wednesday and they are posting out orientation and registration documentation in the next 'week or two'.

I'm looking forward to mature student life ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭ChristinaIndigo

Starting Communication Studies :) Really glad I've already received my offer, I was one of the LC students last year still sitting around waiting on the CAO offers to come through. Nerve-wracking stuff for them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

Starting MA Journalism this year, hello everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Mogwaiii

Starting Multimedia as a mature student this year, terrified!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Starting an M.Sc. in a few weeks. Can't wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Coming back to do a masters... just can't get enough of the place!!

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭AllWasWell

Mogwaiii wrote: »
    Starting Multimedia as a mature student this year, terrified!
    is it the BA or the MSc? I'm starting the MSc in Sept

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 daisyaikou

I'm taking up my place on the Journalism course which I deferred last year. Kinda nervous and not sure whether I want to move back to Ireland now or stay where I am and try make it on my own. Also a bit dubious about being on a course with a lot of post LC'ers as I did mine a couple of years ago. Harsh??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 imjayr

I got offered Health and Society, can anyone tell me if this course is any good? I really wanted a nursing course(integrated nursing) I don't think ill enjoy this course as much as nursing, ugh :(!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 gregdead

Hoping to study Chemical and Pharmaceutical Science.. hit me up if you're in my course :pac:

Has anyone gotten registration information yet? have sent the registration office an email and have had no response.

echo.lima wrote: »
    Has anyone gotten registration information yet? have sent the registration office an email and have had no response.
    The registration office never answer emails..I haven't gotten anything yet but i'd say in the next week or two

Cheers for that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Yer_Wan

daisyaikou wrote: »
    Also a bit dubious about being on a course with a lot of post LC'ers as I did mine a couple of years ago. Harsh??

I'm going into second year of the course (any questions ask away) but I think it is a little harsh. The course won't be completely compiled of those who have just left school. Of the 40-odd people in the course, there are ten mature students, some people who, like yourself, took a year out and came in as 20 or 21 year olds. I don;t think you shuld worry too much about the LC people, they'll be in the same position as you (just starting college, won't know anyone) so you will make good friendships with them. One of my good friends in the course is 26, and I'm only 20.

Age shouldn't be one of the barriers to your enjoyment of it.

What's the story with postgrad orientation? Is it worth going to? I'm planning a holiday so may have to miss it..I saw on the website that its on Friday 21st sept

• Registered Users Posts: 39 daisyaikou

Yer_Wan wrote: »
    I'm going into second year of the course (any questions ask away) but I think it is a little harsh. The course won't be completely compiled of those who have just left school. Of the 40-odd people in the course, there are ten mature students, some people who, like yourself, took a year out and came in as 20 or 21 year olds. I don;t think you shuld worry too much about the LC people, they'll be in the same position as you (just starting college, won't know anyone) so you will make good friendships with them. One of my good friends in the course is 26, and I'm only 20.

Age shouldn't be one of the barriers to your enjoyment of it.

Thanks for that... your insight has helped a lot. I was actually meant to start last September so potentially being with 10 other mature students sounds good.
    Glad you're enjoying it! I really feel like it's the course for me. Regards questions...I guess I'd like to know what your timetable is like? How many days of the week are there lectures and what times of the day are you usually in? Also, do you have sit down exams like at Christmas and Summer or is it continuous assessment?

Thanks for the feedback :) I'm quite excited about it all!

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭o1aa

i am gonna study Euroean business- Spanish :) caan't wait

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Anorexemon

I shall be studying Contemporary Culture and Society! Have only seen one other person say they're doing this course! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7 yummynom

will be joining ye for Psychiatric Nursing :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭many

Going into Common Entry Science, sooooo excited about starting, I can't wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭duuuaaaane

Going back to college got into Multimedia as a mature... anyone else doing the course?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Blue Crystal

Hi all going to DCU to do the Postgrad in Accounting :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

AllWasWell wrote: »
    What's the story with postgrad orientation? Is it worth going to? I'm planning a holiday so may have to miss it..I saw on the website that its on Friday 21st sept

Friend of mine just finished her masters and recommended that I go to it. Though I can see it just being the same old crap... I don't know DCU at all, so I'm planning on going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Blue Crystal

Whats the postgrad orientation like anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 EmmaDoc

Studying Athletic therapy and training this year, can not wait to meet new people and have the craic :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 sscul10

yummynom wrote: »
    will be joining ye for Psychiatric Nursing :D:D

So am I!! Can't wait :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 EmmaDoc

Does anyone know what the story is with registeration fees? Is the freshers week on the 17th? :)

Advertisement