Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Money card for China

Options
  • 10-07-2012 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

Hi, I'm going to China next month for a year to teach. I'm considering getting an O2 money card as I don't have a credit card and so need to have some way of having access to my cash.

Does anyone have any advice on what the best type of cards are to get or if this is even the best way to access your money whilst in China. It's really only so I have access to my money in my account at the moment just for when I get there. Rather than carrying it all in cash

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

FCUM wrote: »
    Hi, I'm going to China next month for a year to teach. I'm considering getting an O2 money card as I don't have a credit card and so need to have some way of having access to my cash.

Does anyone have any advice on what the best type of cards are to get or if this is even the best way to access your money whilst in China. It's really only so I have access to my money in my account at the moment just for when I get there. Rather than carrying it all in cash

If you are teaching for a year you will most likely have to open a Chinese bank account so that they can pay you. The school should help you out with this. You can transfer cash internationally for a fairly small fee to your Chinese bank account, but to tide you over you may want to bring enough cash for the first month or thereabouts in case there are any hiccups (I've had some bad experiences with the customer service in Chinese banks).

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭FCUM

Thanks for the response Funglegunk. Apparently we will be getting paid in cash according to the senior teacher we talked to. Still think I'll want a bank account though. And yeah its the first month I'm worried about really. Don't really want to be carrying all the cash I need for that month over with me. Would rather have it on one of those cards. Was just wondering if anyone had any experience with such cards. Especially in China. Apparently they work anywhere with a visa symbol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

I was there a few times, and just used the standard aib atm card.

yeah mate just worried about fees is all. good to know they work though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

I forget what the fees where, but taking out a decent amount in one go will help anyway, and that worked out grand.

As you said, at least you wont be stuck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭simonsez

FCUM wrote: »
    Thanks for the response Funglegunk. Apparently we will be getting paid in cash according to the senior teacher we talked to. Still think I'll want a bank account though. And yeah its the first month I'm worried about really. Don't really want to be carrying all the cash I need for that month over with me. Would rather have it on one of those cards. Was just wondering if anyone had any experience with such cards. Especially in China. Apparently they work anywhere with a visa symbol.

Have lived and worked there for a number of years. The schools usually pay cash or they set up a bank account and transfer it directly. I am curious to know are you getting a z visa before you go?

SS:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Brokentime

simonsez wrote: »
    Have lived and worked there for a number of years. The schools usually pay cash or they set up a bank account and transfer it directly. I am curious to know are you getting a z visa before you go?

Just a word on this 'paying cash salary' thing. It's only the dodgy schools that pay FULL-TIME workers in cash; it's usually some tax avoidance scheme, or, worse still, they might not be legally permitted to hire foreigners. Avoid these places.

Part-time work, though, usually will pay in cash.

Very, very easy to set up a bank account here, FCUM. Bring your passport along to almost any bank and they'll do it for you. You'll usually get your ATM card straight away. Be aware, though; the PIN numbers here are 6 digits, not 4 like in Ireland, so have one prepared beforehand.

You can also use Irish ATM cards with the Cirrus symbol on them on a lot of the bank machines here. Another warning (sorry for sounding so dramatic) is that the ATM machines won't give you back your card when you withdraw cash, like the Irish machines do. You'll need to finish the transaction and request the card back from the machine (menus almost always have an English option). I've left my card behind one time in a machine, DOHHHHHHHH :-(

FCUM - what part of China are you going to?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

Yep it's cash first, then card in China, not card first, then cash like in Ireland. Remember that!

As said above, most Irish ATM cards work fine in China although some banks have a fairly stringent daily limit on what you can take out with a foreign card, so you'll need to experiment to find an ATM where you can withdraw a decent chunk of cash when needed.

Bit of a warning here, as this happened me TWICE: If you lose your Chinese ATM card, you will have no access to your account at all, even if you go into the branch yourself with ID (I still shake my head at this situation). Waiting period for a new card is about 5 working days, so you should really try not to lose your ATM card!

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭simonsez

Brokentime wrote: »
    Just a word on this 'paying cash salary' thing. It's only the dodgy schools that pay FULL-TIME workers in cash; it's usually some tax avoidance scheme, or, worse still, they might not be legally permitted to hire foreigners. Avoid these places.

Very, very easy to set up a bank account here, FCUM. Bring your passport along to almost any bank and they'll do it for you. You'll usually get your ATM card straight away. Be aware, though; the PIN numbers here are 6 digits, not 4 like in Ireland, so have one prepared beforehand.

You can also use Irish ATM cards with the Cirrus symbol on them on a lot of the bank machines here. Another warning (sorry for sounding so dramatic) is that the ATM machines won't give you back your card when you withdraw cash, like the Irish machines do. You'll need to finish the transaction and request the card back from the machine (menus almost always have an English option). I've left my card behind one time in a machine, DOHHHHHHHH :-(

yeah, remember that atm cards in china stay in machine until after cash is given and make sure to take your card out. 'Brokentime' where did you get visa? Is it a z one did you go through the Chinese embassy in Ireland or through an agent? If you wnet through an agent which one? Thanks in advance.

yep mate I am. Soon hopefully, just waiting for my invitation letter

• Advertisement

Brokentime wrote: »

thanks for the advice! to be honest i was a bit surprised at the cash thing! but we have talked to three teachers who work there and it seems like there have been no problems.

i fear i will be forgetting my atm card at some stage ha.

i'm going to Suzhou btw
    Funglegunk wrote: »
    Yep it's cash first, then card in China, not card first, then cash like in Ireland. Remember that!

As said above, most Irish ATM cards work fine in China although some banks have a fairly stringent daily limit on what you can take out with a foreign card, so you'll need to experiment to find an ATM where you can withdraw a decent chunk of cash when needed.

Bit of a warning here, as this happened me TWICE: If you lose your Chinese ATM card, you will have no access to your account at all, even if you go into the branch yourself with ID (I still shake my head at this situation). Waiting period for a new card is about 5 working days, so you should really try not to lose your ATM card!
    cheers for the info!

simonsez didn't see your question before. i'm gonna go to the embassy to sort my visa anyway i actually hold a british passport but am allowed to apply here since i've been a resident since i was seven). feel like a visa agent is a bit pointless but it is a pain having to go to dublin twice. so i suppose depending on how much an agent was it may be worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Brokentime

yeah, remember that atm cards in china stay in machine until after cash is given and make sure to take your card out. 'Brokentime' where did you get visa? Is it a z one did you go through the Chinese embassy in Ireland or through an agent? If you wnet through an agent which one? Thanks in advance.

Got my new one in Hong Kong, and then flew back to mainland China. Employer did the rest (as they usually do) of the process.

Advertisement