Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

keeping baba cool

Options
  • 10-07-2012 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭

hey Girls,

do any of you girls in hotter climates have anymore ideas to keep baba cool in the heat? It hit 38 degrees here yesterday:eek: poor thing was so warm she was just in a diaper all day. I've been going to the mall during the day for the air con but at night we have a fan and a cold mist humidifier going and it still doesnt even drop below 30 in her room. :mad:

any more ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

I have been experiencing the same problem, and my little one is having a hard time sleeping and has a bit of a rash from sweating.
    I wipe her down with a damp cloth now and then, it seems to help a bit but obviously I can't do that all through the night.
    I place a bowl of ice in the room at night and that tends to bring the temperature down by a degree or 2....while it melts anyway.
    I have asked Spanish mothers what they do, and they all say the 1st summer is the worst but they get used to it....not much help!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Apparently once the baby is putting on a normal amount of weight, you can give him water in a bottle or sippy cup between feeds to keep him hydrated.

To try and keep the room cool, keep windows closed during the day, and at night if the temperature is higher outside than inside. Especially if the sun is shining on that side of the house, keep the curtains (or shutters if you have them) closed til the sun moves away. Open windows at night once it's a bit cooler (wait til the light is off if you don't want to be dealing with mosquitoes as well!) but be sure to close them as soon as it get warm. I find to have more than one window open gives a current of air that cools the house quicker.

Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

Apparently once the baby is putting on a normal amount of weight, you can give him water in a bottle or sippy cup between feeds to keep him hydrated.

If you're breastfeeding, I don't think this applies - baby will get enough hydration by feeding on demand.

NextSteps wrote: »
    If you're breastfeeding, I don't think this applies - baby will get enough hydration by feeding on demand.
    Well I'm breastfeeding and that's what the pediatrician told me...

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

NextSteps wrote: »
    Well I'm breastfeeding and that's what the pediatrician told me...

I don't breastfeed, but the pedatricians here recommend water for hydration too even for breastfed babies

• Advertisement

Xdancer wrote: »
    I don't breastfeed, but the pedatricians here recommend water for hydration too even for breastfed babies
    Anyway I can't get my little fella on the breast if he;s not hungry. Also, he sweats when he feeds because of the body contact! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

We stuck a fan in his room.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭bstar

my pediatrician said just last week no water yet but if it gets warm to try giving her smaller bottles every 2 hours instead to keep her hydrated.

it doesnt drop below 30 here at night either at the minute. the morning is the coolest time of day so have the doors open to the bug screen to let some air in. my blinds havent been open all week, so think we're just going tohave to ride the heat wave out. supposed to drop back to normal high 20s next week and i cant wait

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

If you're breastfeeding on cue there's no need to give water. Mother nature thought about hot weather too and the consistency of breastmilk changes to suit the climate. So it becomes lighter in hotter weather.

We were in the south of France last August and my son was 6 months old and he was fine on breastmilk.

Give water if you want but you don't need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭aviendha

If you're breastfeeding on cue there's no need to give water. Mother nature thought about hot weather too and the consistency of breastmilk changes to suit the climate. So it becomes lighter in hotter weather.

We were in the south of France last August and my son was 6 months old and he was fine on breastmilk.

Give water if you want but you don't need to.

+1
    I was BF in Spain, and was all ready with my cooled boiled water for hydration as I thought, but have to agree, the consistency of milk changes to much more watery in the heat (I expressed to confirm this, nerd that I am!), so didn't need to top up at all, mother nature is amazing!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement