Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What will Liberty insure me on?

• 10-07-2012 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hello all.
    I've been riding my Yamaha Dt125r for nearly 2 years now ( insurance is due in October). This year my insurance came down from €1270 to €570 with only a year of no claims, which I was pretty chuffed with. I've purposely put off doing my test until I get a bigger bike, so I can get an full A licence, rather than a full A1.
    Problem now is every time I've my eye on a new bike and ring up Liberty to see about changing my policy, they say I can't get insured on it until I'm 21, not giving a particular reason why (I'm 18 atm). So far I've seen about a 400 bros, a fzr250 and a cb-1 400.
    Does anyone know what bikes Liberty will insure people under 21 on or do they simply blacklist every bike over a 125? Right now it looks like I'll have to take out a new policy with Carole Nash which'll probably cost over a grand..
    Cheers for any help!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Duffah wrote: »
    Hello all.
    I've been riding my Yamaha Dt125r for nearly 2 years now ( insurance is due in October). This year my insurance came down from €1270 to €570 with only a year of no claims, which I was pretty chuffed with. I've purposely put off doing my test until I get a bigger bike, so I can get an full A licence, rather than a full A1.
    Problem now is every time I've my eye on a new bike and ring up Liberty to see about changing my policy, they say I can't get insured on it until I'm 21, not giving a particular reason why (I'm 18 atm). So far I've seen about a 400 bros, a fzr250 and a cb-1 400.
    Does anyone know what bikes Liberty will insure people under 21 on or do they simply blacklist every bike over a 125? Right now it looks like I'll have to take out a new policy with Carole Nash which'll probably cost over a grand..
    Cheers for any help!

They've an on-line system, keep plugging in bikes you like till they quote you.

As for the A test, get a couple of lessons and use the school bike for the test. Your coming into a new world of stepping stone licences if you don't get an A soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Duffah

Del2005 wrote: »

As for the A test, get a couple of lessons and use the school bike for the test. Your coming into a new world of stepping stone licences if you don't get an A soon.

Ah I had thoughts about doing this, I suppose I'll give it a proper go now, thanks. I was lucky enough to dodge all the stuff that came in just after I did my theory, but I haven't heard anything about them changing the licences?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Del2005 wrote: »

I second that. Get your A test asap!

Duffah wrote: »
    Ah I had thoughts about doing this, I suppose I'll give it a proper go now, thanks. I was lucky enough to dodge all the stuff that came in just after I did my theory, but I haven't heard anything about them changing the licences?

Read from page 7

http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Consultations/Consultation%20Changes%20to%20DL%20System.pdf

Faith+1 wrote: »

That is one of the darkest things I've ever seen, cheers for that, hadn't a clue. Looks like even darker days ahead for motorcyclists... :/

Edit: Does anyone know if there's an age restriction on Carole Nash's classic insurance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭thomashood10

A training programme instead of a driving test? Why would someone riding a 250 for probably 3 years at that stage need another training programme?

A training programme instead of a driving test? Why would someone riding a 250 for probably 3 years at that stage need another training programme?

It's down to the heads in Brussels. It will be a nightmare for new guys/gals to get their licence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Anything up to about 350 as long as its not a sports bike should be grand with Liberty. If you have your heart set on something in particular just keep ringing til you get a quote. Calling into their offices may be of benefit.

I didn't think Carole Nash covered young bikers at all..

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Anything up to about 350 as long as its not a sports bike should be grand with Liberty. If you have your heart set on something in particular just keep ringing til you get a quote. Calling into their offices may be of benefit.

I didn't think Carole Nash covered young bikers at all..

Sounds like a plan. No they do, I think you have to have been riding for a year. they just insured my brother on a 400 Bros and he's only 19.

Just a bit of an update. Rang up Carole Nash, they won't insure me on an fzr250... Tried to get quoted for an old cb250n and they wouldn't even quote me on that.. Should I persist? Adelaide obviously won't insure me and I've heard Aon quote in the thousands..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭war_child

Just finished reading the RSA documentation i wasnt aware of these changes ...why does our government have to take things that are simple in design and that work and exchange the process for something that drags out making it more confusing the ultimatly more time consuming ....Frustrated

war_child wrote: »
    Just finished reading the RSA documentation i wasnt aware of these changes ...why does our government have to take things that are simple in design and that work and exchange the process for something that drags out making it more confusing the ultimatly more time consuming ....Frustrated

It seems to make out that a 24 year-old who has never held a bike licence is more capable of riding a larger bike than someone younger who has been riding for years... It's ridiculous..
    Does anyone know of a bike school that lets you use their bike to do your practical test? Any info. would be much appreciated!

Were are u based duffah , i know of alot of schools that use tester bikes most of which are in the 6-650 range tho ...i just bought a bike from a lad whos in Kildare and he has 3 different tester bikes 2 400s and a marauder 250 ..best bet is to googleit and then call altho most will have the bikes they loan on their websites but you are looking at an extra charge for the days testing

Were are u based duffah , i know of alot of schools that use tester bikes most of which are in the 6-650 range tho ...i just bought a bike from a lad whos in Kildare and he has 3 different tester bikes 2 400s and a marauder 250 ..best bet is to googleit and then call altho most will have the bikes they loan on their websites but you are looking at an extra charge for the days testing

I'm based in Howth, so I'll be doing my test in Raheny. I'm having a look atm, but if you know any in particular, drop the link and I'll check it out, cheers.

Dont know any personally in that area sorry lad but did come across this online hope it helps ya

http://www.motorbiketraining.net/pretest.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

Dont know any personally in that area sorry lad but did come across this online hope it helps ya

http://www.motorbiketraining.net/pretest.html

+1 for David Lyons, have used him before and he is brilliant

+1 for David Lyons, have used him before and he is brilliant

Looks great! I'll definitely look into it. I'll have to go to a different test centre but it looks like it'll be worth it. Cheers lads

Advertisement