Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elder scrolls Oblivion

Options
  • 10-07-2012 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭

I got the GOTY edition last week, what a great game this was/is. I had this game years ago and I always said this was my favourite game EVER. When i started the game surprisingly to me, my save files were still there. I had played 122hrs and reached level 23.

I've decided to start a new game, first impressons (again) its a lot smaller than Skyrim the combat Isn't great but fck that still a great game.

Has anyone been playing this recently?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

picked it up myself mate
    cant really compare the two games skyrim and oblivion
    their both great in their own way
    *cough* oblivion is better*cough*

who said that?

no but seriously
    great game
    i remember when i had it years ago
    just after getting out of the cell i was locked in from the start
    i headed towards the mountains
    began walking around the mountains and came upon some stones, walked into the stones (or activated them cant remember) and bam i got some cool dark armour and a deadly sword

cant remember much about it but it was class ha

• Registered Users Posts: 27,335 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

It never really clicked with me. I played Morrowind and both the expansions to death (on the Xbox no less) and did the same with Skyrim but I never could stick Oblivion for more than a couple of trips through the Oblivion portals.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

It's one of the few games I've bought twice - bought it on PC orginially and then bought the GOTY edition for the PS3.

Take the Oblivion gates out of Oblivion and it was really good game... - but jesus they could have offered some originally in the gates... every single one was the exact same from what I can remember... maybe some slight variation here and there but they were so repetitive..

did love the rest of the game though, must take it out again and give it a go.. wonder how it'll hold up for me after playing Skyrim so much

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Browning2010

Aye whats the craic with these gates again, can you close the main gate straight away or do you have to close few of the others ones first?

I'm not sure what way to play the game, should I get the main quest out of the way first or do all the side quests first? Does it really matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

If you can stomach the now 11 year old graphics, Morrowind is a better game than either Oblivion or Skyrim!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Funglegunk wrote: »
    If you can stomach the now 11 year old graphics, Morrowind is a better game than either Oblivion or Skyrim!

I couldn't stomach the graphics at the time

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Grimebox wrote: »
    I couldn't stomach the graphics at the time

For real? I remember looking ut at the sea thinking water effects wont get better.
    Such a narrow minded fool i was.

I love oblivion, its the reason i got the xbox 360. so many hours just enveloped in this world. I even enjoyed the realm of oblivion.

Damn ima crack it open now i think :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Completionist

Plenty of overhauls out there now that will give it a more modern look.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,335 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Skyrim has a much better combat system as well as the visuals but I'd agree with you on everything else. God that soundtrack is amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

For real? I remember looking ut at the sea thinking water effects wont get better.

Really? Even then? Dunno man, the water in morrowind always seemed kind of oily and unnatural to me. I mean, Mario Sunshine came out the same year and had better water. The sea in that looked amazing. It still stands up by todays standards.

Even then, Morrowind was pretty poor graphically.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Just looking up some screenshots now. It actually doesn't look nearly as a bad as I remember. I just remember the colour brown. I only played it once for a few hours and never picked it up again. I might consider buying it for the PC, convince me :p

Why is Morrowind better than Skyrim? Does nostalgia come into the equation?

Grimebox wrote: »
    Just looking up some screenshots now. It actually doesn't look nearly as a bad as I remember. I just remember the colour brown. I only played it once for a few hours and never picked it up again. I might consider buying it for the PC, convince me :p

Why is Morrowind better than Skyrim?Does nostalgia come into the equation?

Morrowinds soundtrack. Edit: Here it is. [Video]

Also...

In Morrowind you can't fast travel(You can use silt striders to move to certain towns). This means you actually have to explore the harsh landscape.

You arn't given a compass marker for each tiny objective. You need a key to enter a room? You better start looking, There is no cheap compass marker telling you where the hidden key is.

You need to find someone/a building? Start looking! You are usually given some vague directions so half the fun is actually finding a place.

Something I love from Morrowind is the hidden loot, Finding a unique item that can be equipped right away hidden behind a chest, Or on a hidden ledge, Because of this I now search everywhere in Oblivion and Skyrim even thought I know I won't find anything. The closest I've come was a special Mithril armour set in Oblivion hidden all over a cave but It turned out it was for a quest:(

Also, Morrowinds modding scene has had years to develop some pretty amazing mods such as a completely new game(Although last I checked it was still being converted from German to English)

A quick search turned up this graphical overhaul which makes the graphics half decent. [Video]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

Morrowinds soundtrack. Edit: Here it is. [Video]

Also...
    1. In Morrowind you can't fast travel
    2. You arn't given a compass marker for each tiny objective
    3. You need to find someone/a building? Start looking! You are usually given some vague directions so half the fun is actually finding a place.

Half the reason why I hate Morrowind now :o - I know it's blasphemous to say but it's horrible having to run around testing evey single door in a town to find out where someone lives to continue a quest or spending ages looking around for something to find out 2 hours later on a youtube walkthrough video that you walked right past it 5 times

yeah it did feel good finding stuff eventually but as much fun as it was finding it, I hated every minute I spent running up to every single door on a street to find XXX's house after a while of playing...

I usually love exploring but sometime's I'm not in the mood so the fast travel is brilliant for that... and when I am in the mood for some exploring well nothings stopping me from avoiding the quick travel feature..

gonna get a torrent of abuse for suggesting such things but sur :pac:
    if it had a decent compass for helping finding stuff and fast travel I'd highly recommend Morrowind though but without them make sure your in for the long haul

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Also Morrowind had more skills, more weapons (Spears with Spear Skill, Throwing Weapons) and better customising when it came to Armour (able to equip individual shoulder pauldrons, seperate chest armour to Arm Armour etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

Morrowind was a lot more...dense. More quests, more customisation, more skills, more schools of magic, more spells, more types of weapons etc.

Because they have to straddle the console and PC markets, post-Morrowind games are much more streamlined. This has caused the games to suffer in a number of ways (Skyrim's vanilla UI, for example, is practically unusable on PC).

Also Morrowind had more skills, more weapons (Spears with Spear Skill, Throwing Weapons) and better customising when it came to Armour (able to equip individual shoulder pauldrons, seperate chest armour to Arm Armour etc)

Forgot about that, You could equip normal clothes, Then put loads of armour on top and then cover them all up with a robe... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

I've played about 130 hours of Skyrim and about 150-ish of Oblivion.

I have far fonder memories of Oblivion.

I know Skyrim is technically better. Better graphics, improved on the levelling system, dialogue is improved, better quests. But there's something about the world I prefer in Oblivion. Forget the Oblivion Gates, I just ignore them.

One aspect of Skyrim that doesn't help it is the load times. Speaking specifically about the 360 version I've just got sick of the constant, long load times. Immersion is really broken when I spend most of my time waiting for areas to load.

Oblivion > Skyrim for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭mhairt

If you are loading up Oblivion this mod is well worth a look.
    http://www.nehrim.de/startEV.html

Its in German but with English subs and actually is a big improvement on Oblivion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

We have an elderscrolls forum:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=648

I suggest that anyone playing oblivion tries the Deadly Reflex Mod. I think it takes its inspirations from Dark Messiah: Might and Magic and has some really cool moves in it to make the combat more interesting, a bit like some of the finishing moves in Skyrim but adds a bit more to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 jate3d9u1qxmwc

Yeah recently started playing this myself forgot I had purchased it on the marketplace but never played it and in all honesty I am really enjoying it just as much as skyrim, Graphics for some reason are annoying me though but really good game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Browning2010

Loving this game now playing about 4 hours a day, haven't touched the main quest yet, I'm just going through all the guilds, some really great missions in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Looked immensely pretty, gameplay utterly boring.

Walky walky walky walky walky walky walky walky walky walky walky walky walky walky walky walky enter cave, kill stuff but not sure why.

Walky walky walky walky walky walky walky walky walky walky walky walky walky walky walky walky walky walky walky walky walky walky walky walky walky walky walky walky walky walky walky find ruins kill stuff.

Walky walky walky walky walky walky walky walky walky walky walky walky walky walky walky walky walky walky walky walky walky walky walky walky walky walky walky walky walky walky walky walky walky walky walky walky walky walky walky...

Stop...

Escape, Quit (are your sure? hit yes frantically)

:P

Oh and enemies that level with you.... What's the point of a levelling RPG with that system....

I'm currently replaying Baldurs Gate 2 for the nth time. Now that's how an RPG should be made :P

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Oh and enemies that level with you.... What's the point of a levelling RPG with that system....

No replay of Oblivion should happen without modding the leveling system. There is a great game in there if you use mods to fix the silly bits.

Advertisement