Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liberty Insurance claim

Options
  • 10-07-2012 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys

I unfortunately have to make a claim on my home insurance policy with Liberty due to a break in.
    The items stolen are not to a huge value c.€2000.
    I was just wondering is there much hassle involved in getting paid out on the claim?

Thanks in advance
    Cuchulainn1.

Edit sorry for such a basic question I have never had to make a claim before.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

If all is in order, such as Policy cover and circumstances and a claim is admitted by Liberty, you will have cheque within 10 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Thank you ravima hopefully no drama so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Sidetracker

Hi, I am just about to submit a claim to Liberty myself following a break in. Like yourself a small Jewellery amount (€2,000) and damage (€1,800). I wondered if you encountered any problems. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Hi Sidetracker not at all they were brilliant to deal with.
    Everything was very easy with them and was all sorted over the phone and email.

In saying that you do need evidence of having owned the goods.
    Pictures of the items were good enough for them eg a handbag on my girlfriends arm in a picture as we had no receipt for it.

Feel free to pm me if you want any more info.

Hi, just come off the phone to Liberty Insurance. Whole issue of claim sorted in 3 days and 2 phone calls. No problems. A pleasure to deal with.

• Advertisement

I knew things were going too smoothly. I received an e-mail from Liberty Insurance saying that everything was passed and a cheque would issue if I signed and returned the attached form. I read the attached form and was amazed to see that my cheque would be made payable to me AND Kildare County Council. I know that Kildare County Council have an interest of approx. €3,500 in the buildings, from a small loan I took out when purchasing the house. No problem there.
    But this claim is for A. stolen goods and B. damaged internal doors and windows.
    The internal doors ( 11 of ) I replaced myself in the past ten years. The PVC windows I also replaced myself in the past 10 years. Why should Kildare County Council or ANY lender have any call on my personal claim ?. They didn't contribute to the purchase of these items. They didn't contribute to my €250 excess and they didn't contribute to my premiums. I think that it is an absolute disgrace that they should even be associated with my misfortune and loss. Perhaps this is not the correct form, if so maybe someone would be good enough to relocate it. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Liberty Insurance: Clare

Hi Sidetracker

I'm glad to hear you were happy with your initial claims experience. Whilst I can't comment on your individual claim here on Boards, I think I can give you some general information which should clarify this issue for you.

As members of the Irish Insurance Federation, most insurers have agreements in place, which mean they request information from policyholders in relation to any parties who may have a financial interest in their property, such as a mortgage lender, so that both parties are protected by the policy of insurance. In such cases we are obliged to name this interested party on the settlement cheque in the event of a claim for property damage only, once that claim is over €1,270 in value.

If requested and once written consent is received from the finance lender we can issue a cheque to the individual themselves, but each case would have to be reviewed individually.

I hope this helps, but let me know if you have any other queries or PM me your details if you'd like me to arrange for someone to call you back about your individual claim

Seems daft to generalize like that. I can understand the lenders interest in the buildings and the site, but the Doors and Windows ! . Like most home owners who have lived in their homes for a number of years, I replaced all of the original windows with PVC windows and I replaced all of the doors with new doors. This cost me a lot of money. How can you justify telling me that any lender has a financial interest in that !.

Hi Liberty Rep. I have just received two cheques from Liberty Insurance, one for our personal losses and one for door and window damage. The cheque for personal losses is made out to my own bank account, as I insisted that it was totally unacceptable to put the lenders name on a cheque for my personal losses. The other cheque is made payable to me and a financial lender. It is crossed A/C Payee Only. Now, as I don't have a Joint Account with this lender and they don't have a Joint Account with me , what am I supposed to do with this cheque !. As I have pointed out, it is for damaged doors and windows which I paid for and fitted my self. Anyone have this problem before ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Liberty Insurance: Philip

Hi Sidetracker,

I understand your frustrations on this, but windows and doors are considered part of the buildings, so a claim for damage to those would be covered under the buildings section of your policy. As you had notified us that a lender had an interest in your buildings then any payment over €1,270 on claims under the buildings section are paid in this way.

In cases such as yours, we're happy to accept a letter from the lender advising that they agree not to be named on the cheque and can then reissue the cheque in your name only. We would like to be of more help to you on this matter so we suggest you PM us your details and we will call you back so we can come to a swift resolution on this issue.

Thanks,

Philip

• Advertisement

Hi Philip, thanks for your reply. Yes, I did get a swift and successful outcome to my problem. I simply mentioned "The Financial Services Ombudsman " and it worked a treat. Works every time. More people of my age should do that, and not take any old excuse.

Advertisement