Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek 2 villain revealed?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

There's a lot in that trailer to suggest Khan. He has returned, wants vengeance, has superhuman strength, etc. But if it is Khan I don't understand why they are being so coy about it. Khan is the most iconic villain in the Star Trek mythos. It would have been like Nolan waiting until the last minute to reveal that the Joker was the villain in TDK.

I'm starting to think they've been screwing with us and he's actually an original character.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

The Enterprise crashing into an ocean & rising out of it? I suppose if you can graduate from the Academy & become a Captain overnight anythings possible...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

EnterNow wrote: »
    The Enterprise crashing into an ocean & rising out of it? I suppose if you can graduate from the Academy & become a Captain overnight anythings possible...

Who is to say that's the Enterprise? Could be another ship.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

EnterNow wrote: »

Here's the funny thing....
    different ship...the nascelles are a different configuration!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

There's a lot in that trailer to suggest Khan. He has returned, wants vengeance, has superhuman strength, etc. But if it is Khan I don't understand why they are being so coy about it. Khan is the most iconic villain in the Star Trek mythos. It would have been like Nolan waiting until the last minute to reveal that the Joker was the villain in TDK.

I'm starting to think they've been screwing with us and he's actually an original character.

Khan never wore a Starfleet uniform though?

Gary Mitchell was marooned too in TOS.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Anyone else get a Transformers vibe from the trailer? :(

It certainly seems to have scale, that's for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭MyBrokenKnees

I know this might be a complete stretch but could it be Dr. Arik Soong that Cumberbatch is playing. For some reason that's who crossed my mind when I say the trailer.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

FutureGuy wrote: »
    No a hope it's Gary Mitchell. Not in a million years. Two reasons...

Karl Urban is a massive fan. He knows the original series and he knows more than most on set the ramifications of leaking that name, especially in the fashion it was leaked.

Also, Gary Mitchell has already featured in the official comic, and has his story told.

It's a misdirection. Nothing more.

On a small note, aren't you a transformers fan? :)

Movie directors don't give a toss about continuity with comics. Never have, never will. Even when the actual source is comics. Even then, if they do, it's usually worse...

Who is to say that's the Enterprise? Could be another ship.
    FutureGuy wrote: »
    Here's the funny thing....
    different ship...the nascelles are a different configuration!

Nevertheless, its hardly very Trek to have starships crashing into oceans & rising again. I'll keep an open mind though, I'm sure its not just to have more 'splosions & stuff' on screen.

Trailer looks good, if a very generic modern day action film feel to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,134 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Watch the last few seconds of the japanese trailer which has a couple seconds more footage and give opinions

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

It looks like the roles are reversed. i.e. Kirk sacrifices himself, not Spock.

VinLieger wrote: »
    Watch the last few seconds of the japanese trailer which has a couple seconds more footage and give opinions

Seems to definitely hint at a sacrifice scene a la Wrath of Khan...

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭PauloConn

Trailer looks awesome. Can't wait but would love if it was a new villian or someone not as prevalent as Khan.
    But either way, looks awesome

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

http://www.sfx.co.uk/2012/07/09/star-trek-2-villain-revealed/

According to Karl Urban, Benedict Cumberbatch is playing Gary Mitchell. Which would certainly make more sense than Khan given that he's wearing a Starfleet uniform in set pics. I'll be pleased if this true as at least they won't be recycling WOK's story. Orci specifically denied Gary Mitchell a while ago though. I reckon that even if it isn't Gary Mitchell by name, it'll essentially be a re-imagining of the character.

Thoughts?

Gary Mitchell, isn't that a character in Eastenders?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'd say that's definitely Khan. Too much in there to suggest otherwise imo. Looks pretty great though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Good deduction by FutureGuy and IvySlayer, but I'm backing Khan on this one.

It's a name even non-trekkies know, biggest enemy trek has next to the borg, they can do interesting juxtaposition like Kirk sacrificing himself instead, etc. etc. It's the obvious choice.

stid-t1-08-tt.jpg

292px-Elizabeth_Dehner.jpg

Look at the hair. Surely Eve has to be playing Elizabeth Dehner? In which case it's Gary Mitchell.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,134 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

stid-t1-08-tt.jpg

292px-Elizabeth_Dehner.jpg

Look at the hair. Surely Eve has to be playing Elizabeth Dehner? In which case it's Gary Mitchell.

Yeah having read up on gary mitchell in the last while and the amount of screen time she gets in the trailer it sure looks like it, however im still on the fence as the final shot in the japanese trailer is either just messing with us or an awesome little wink to fans saying "yeah you know...."

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I think Gary Mitchell will be the villain, but it will set up the next storyline/movie for Khan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

When i first watched the trailer I was nearly sure the voice over was by Patrick Stuart, it sounds veryyy like him.

• Advertisement

Well, a new image has been released and according to Paramount, Cumberbatch is playing "John Harrison". This is either not his real name, or it's a reference to this guy:

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Harrison

Either way it suggests that Orci may have been f**king with us when he said the character was canon.

stid-img-001-t.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

If it's not Khan or Garth, than i hope it's someone completely new rather than a reference to a minor character.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭PauloConn

John Harrison, the terrorist..... interesting.

Advertisement