Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Hero" soldiers.

• 10-07-2012 4:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,464 ✭✭✭✭

Why do soldiers suddenly become heros if they get thier legs blown off.Thier sacrifice should be aknowledged'but it seems you hav'nt done anything unless you've at least lost an arm.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

kneemos wrote: »
    Thier sacrifice should be aknowledged

So should their stupidity for joining the army in the first place!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Keyboard warriors are the only true heroes.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Why do soldiers suddenly become heros if they get thier legs blown off.Thier sacrifice should be aknowledged'but it seems you hav'nt done anything unless you've at least lost an arm.
    Because they took the job in the knowledge they may well lose a limb or their lifes. Risking your life for others sort of automatically makes you a hero.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

You should start blowing off pieces of yourself until you feel heroic. Post back (by blinking I presume) to let us know how you got on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Kev_2012

First Pat Tillman lies about how he died and now this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,159 ✭✭✭frag420

my friend lost a thumb after he picked up and unexploded banger one halloween.

he was and still is a hero to us all.

Cant hitch a lift for **** though!!

frag420 wrote: »

What about his other thumb?

Or was he born with only one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

You have to lose an arm to be a hero? This thread doesn't have a leg to stand on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Tell him the next time he wants to hitch a lift to get himself aroused and then grip his erection so it looks like the tip of his penis is his thumb sticking up, bound to work tho not sure how many people will let him in the car once they realise he is standing at their door with a 'stalker' in his hand :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭akura

This is going to be some thread me thinks:pac:

• Advertisement

akura wrote: »
    This is going to be somme thread me thinks:pac:

fyp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,159 ✭✭✭frag420

rarnes1 wrote: »

It was his left thumb. If you hitch with your right thumb it signals to truck drivers that you are ghey. its trucker code. You ever hear a trucker refering to a thumb in the bum??

He still puts his left hand out but they think he is just waving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭davetherave

smash wrote: »
    So should their stupidity for joining the army in the first place!

What a ridiculous generalisation.
    So only stupid people join the military? When are you enlisting then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,464 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

ScumLord wrote: »
    Because they took the job in the knowledge they may well lose a limb or their lifes. Risking your life for others sort of automatically makes you a hero.

Thier all heros in that case.Diminishes the term.?

So only stupid people join the military?
    In my opinion, yes. You have to be a few sandwiches short of a picnic to do it.
    When are you enlisting then?
    Very mature.

It was his left thumb. If you hitch with your right thumb it signals to truck drivers that you are ghey. its trucker code. You ever here a trucker refering to a thumb in the bum??

He still puts his left hand out but they think he is just waving.

Just for the record, I'm not a trucker :o :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

ScumLord wrote: »
    Risking your life for others sort of automatically makes you a hero.

This is very true.

Unfortunately, todays soldiers do no such thing. They are not risking their lives for others. They risk it on the whim of corporations. There hasn't been a just war since world war II and people know what they sign up for when they join the modern army.

Fire fighters, rescue crews, etc. These people risk their lives for others voluntarily. Soldiers do what they are told, regardless of what that may be. It's not the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I grew up in a town riddled with soldiers, and I don't think I've got any words to express my deep contempt.

feeney92 wrote: »
    "A man who won't die for something is a man not fit to live." Martin Luther King Jr.

I'm dying for a shite right now, I must be a hero! :pac:

• Advertisement

Falls Road?

Where?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Pedant

"I accidentally killed 5 innocent civilians in a firefight today and then I got my legs blown off for no apparent reason by those terrorists ... poor me, I deserve a medal."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

In my opinion all soldiers are heroes.

Er even guys in the Waffen SS/Black & Tans/Soviet grunts looking for a bit of fluff in Berlin/Japanese POW camp guards? Top bunch of lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

Shenshen wrote: »
    I grew up in a town riddled with soldiers, and I don't think I've got any words to express my deep contempt.

I'm sure this child knows just what you mean.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

rarnes1 wrote: »

thats only good for the opposite direction. :D

You think every soldier of the British army agreed with the war in Iraq or Afghanistan? A government made a decision to invade 2 countries. regardless of what their public thought on the matter, these soldiers signed up to have a meaning, better way of life(in their own opinions) a cause and maybe just plain excitement. Sorry soldiers who do not want an ordinary boring life stuck behind a desk all day doing paperwork or worry about bailling out banks. The job has risks and it comes with great safety in a career.

Good for them. That doesn't make them "heroes", though.

I realise that soldiers have to exist, but I do urge the people in charge of them to do their utmost to keep them away from innocent civilians everywhere.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

So only stupid people join the military? When are you enlisting then?

There is a classic Ali G clip that somehow is not on youtube, where he poses this exact question to some retired uppity army major :pac:

Ali "Innit true dat to get in to the army you has to be a bit thick"
    Major "No! If you're a bit thick you wont get in!"

Considering some rather dodgy people have served in its ranks down the years the Daily Mail is awful proud of the army- 10% of the British prison population has served at some point. If 10% of the prison population were granted asylum during the Blair era they would have a field day :pac:

You think every soldier of the British army agreed with the war in Iraq or Afghanistan? A government made a decision to invade 2 countries. regardless of what their public thought on the matter, these soldiers signed up to have a meaning, better way of life(in their own opinions) a cause and maybe just plain excitement. Sorry soldiers who do not want an ordinary boring life stuck behind a desk all day doing paperwork or worry about bailling out banks. The job has risks and it comes with great safety in a career.

I'd happily take a safe desk job over a job where you'd have a greater risk of getting limbs amputated or getting killed. I imagine most people would.

In the sense of where they live or where they battle?

Both, I thought that was self-explanatory?

Yes I agree that most people would, which brings me back to my old point that it takes a better type of character, one with bravery and strength, to put their lives on the line for something and others wont because they are too afraid to die

I don't mind dieing, we all have to sooner or later.
    But a person who will take up a job that will require killing people? That does say a lot about character indeed.

• Advertisement

Yes I agree that most people would, which brings me back to my old point that it takes a better type of character, one with bravery and strength, to put their lives on the line for something and others wont because they are too afraid to die

I'd put my life on the line for something when there's actually a need to. Right now, I don't see a need to do that. We live probably in one of the safest corners of the world. If there's soldiers signing up for the BA with full knowledge that they'll be sent to Afghanistan and think their doing something to protect their homeland then they're quite stupid, in all honestly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭curlzy

I think common sense, obviously in your case this didn't prevail, knows I didn't mean those type of soldiers. you must be a politician cos your great at twisting words?

Every soldier is one of those "type of soldiers" to the opposite side. I see them all as murderers or wannabe murderers myself.

Better character and bravery? Is that your way of saying "a complete disregard for human life"?

I know 3 guys my age who were soldiers, 2 have served in Iraq and Afghanistan. 1 is still serving. But all 3 of them have mental issues now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

I read the title of this thread in the voice of Kim Jong Il from Team America saying "Hello Soldiers"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

I think common sense, obviously in your case this didn't prevail, knows I didn't mean those type of soldiers. you must be a politician cos your great at twisting words?

Meow, saucer of milk for table 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,464 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Ireland or somewhere else.?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Somebody has to stand on the wall.

But i suppose a lot of people can't handle the truth.

Ireland or somewhere else.?

Somewhere else. And 3 different nationalities of soldiers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Somewhere else. And 3 different nationalities of soldiers.

Sounds like a bad joke.

Paddy English soldier, Paddy Irish soldier and Paddy Scots Soldier, all meet on the battle field..............:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

marcsignal wrote: »
    I'm sure this child knows just what you mean.....

On a slightly unrelated note, I love how RT have their logo flying around the place so you can't easily obscure it. Not at all distracting...

Soldiers dont sign up to kill, they sign up to defend teir countrys and to kill IF NECCESSARY, I know if it was between me and my mates or some scumbag who uses children as suicide bombers who Id choose

Does Ireland need defending right now? Is there an impending military invasion by a foreign power at hand?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

The media loves to paint a victim of war as a hero.

I remember watching a doc about British soldiers returning from Afghanistan with the most horrific injuries and could help but wonder why the hell they weren't angry about being sent to that hell-hole for obtuse reasons.

Soldiers dont sign up to kill, they sign up to defend teir countrys and to kill IF NECCESSARY, I know if it was between me and my mates or some scumbag who uses children as suicide bombers who Id choose

Not so much "if necessary", more like "if told to".

As I said, their choice, just make sure the general population is protected from them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

On a slightly unrelated note, I love how RT have their logo flying around the place so you can't easily obscure it. Not at all distracting...

Fixed that for you Monty, It was annoying alright ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement