Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Hero" soldiers.

1235»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 806 ✭✭✭getzls

Border-Rat wrote: »
    No Afghan was involved in either of those. Even if they were, by this logic, an invasion force is needed for the UK, which invaded Iraq under false pretense leading to the deaths of hundreds of thousands. For a moralist (Assuming your not a Brit-fetishist here), you have your priorities in disorder.

The invasion of Afganistan was the result of an U.N. mandate. Don't Brit bash over it.:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭Heckler

I know nothing about army life but to all those claiming that anyone who signs up has mental problems, wants to kill people, blow stuff up etc...

From what I understand the number of combat troops in an army is vastly outnumbered by the amount of non-combat personnel. Doesn't every army have Doctors, dentists, mechanics, carpenters, administration and logistics staff by the truckload, armorours, transport pilots, truck drivers etc. etc.

An aircraft carrier alone might have 3000 sailors where only a hand full are combat pilots who might actually end up killing anyone.

Many many thousands of soldiers in the above jobs never handle a weapon outside of basic training. Or so i believe. Correct me if i'm wrong.

Obviously if you signup/volunteer for a front-line position (however it works idk) thats a different story but to class all servicemen/women as mental killers is a bit of a stretch imo.

Ok you can argue that they are there as a support to fighting troops and are guilty by association but c'mon........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 580 ✭✭✭shampon

kneemos wrote: »
    Why do soldiers suddenly become heros if they get thier legs blown off.Thier sacrifice should be aknowledged'but it seems you hav'nt done anything unless you've at least lost an arm.

Cock.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Never mind firemen, fishermen in ireland is far, far more dangerous. They risk their lives to make sure your cod and chips are available on the way home from the pub. They're true heros
    To be blunt

If it wasn't for overfishing they wouldn't have to spend as much time out at sea, especially in bad weather or as far from port.

Yes it is dangerous, but most of the danger isn't from the sea, it's from the amount of time spent at see chasing diminishing returns. It's very simple, fish are a finite resource. If fishermen become twice as efficient with new technology they you only need half as many of them. If fish stocks are falling then you need to reduce the take.

Look at whaling, 90% of the whales killed were taken after the second world war. Less people whaling, but they were vastly more efficient. No one is going to suggest resumption of whaling will create lots of jobs.

The amount of fish that can be sustainably taken from our waters would support about two Atlantic Dawns.

oh re cod yeah US stocks are going the way of Newfoundland
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/story/2012/07/01/nl-us-cod-falter-702.html

satellite picture of trawlers creating a dead zone
    https://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/15/science/15mud.html?_r=2&ref=science

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,464 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Your in the wrong forum my friend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Why do soldiers suddenly become heros if they get thier legs blown off.Thier sacrifice should be aknowledged'but it seems you hav'nt done anything unless you've at least lost an arm.

It's a con by the establishment.

"Oh look at poor Jack down the road. Lost a leg outside Kabul. Those evil b**tards."

A handy way of deflecting attention away from the murder and torture inflicted by Jack and his mates on the locals in the American quest to get a pipeline built.

When you brainwash the public into believing that those scumbags are "heroes", it makes it harder for others to stand up and spell out what the actions of those "heroes" are. Unadulturated murder.

We see far too many pictures of British and American "heroes" on our screens. We see very few pictures of those locals obliterated by their bombs and drones.

Because they don't count. Literally. There is nobody in the US or Briitsh forces counting the number of locals that die in those invasions and subsequent occupations.

They are known simply as collateral damage. The invading killers are known as heroes.

It is indeed a sick world we live in.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Your in the wrong forum my friend.
    One key point about soldiering is to make the other guy die for his country. Not taking unnecessary risks and all that.

Most armies use technology instead of canon fodder.

https://xkcd.com/652/

One key point about soldiering is to make the other guy die for his country. Not taking unnecessary risks and all that.

Most armies use technology instead of canon fodder.

https://xkcd.com/652/

A bit cryptic in fairness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

ScumLord wrote: »
    Because they took the job in the knowledge they may well lose a limb or their lifes. Risking your life for others sort of automatically makes you a hero.

let's be honest, how many people in military service do you reckon are ACTUALLY doing what they do "for others"?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Helix wrote: »
    let's be honest, how many people in military service do you reckon are ACTUALLY doing what they do "for others"?

Probably close on 100% of the people I serve with are proud of their service and bringing peace to other less fortunate people than ourselves.

If you have to ask this question, you've never served.

Probably close on 100% of the people I serve with are proud of their service and bringing peace to other less fortunate people than ourselves.

Proud of thier service and glad of the cash if your honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Proud of thier service and glad of the cash if your honest.

Absolutely glad of the cash, sure if you work for nothing you'd never be idle!.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,520 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

It's when people start referring to GAA heroes that the term is diminished. Not picking on the GAA in particular, but I hear the term being used for them more often than other sports personalities.

Mighty men.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

most ive met, which only includes a few in ireland, have been in the service because it was their only realistic option for employment

Advertisement