Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jobsworths

• 10-07-2012 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

Just back from a self storage unit, where I tried to exchange two unused large boxes for two medium boxes. Fairly straightforward, right? No.

"Hey, I bought these boxes a couple of days ago but they're too big. I haven't used them - they're still wrapped in their plastic - can I swap them for two of those smaller ones?"
    "Do you have a receipt?"
    "No, but clearly they're your company's - your logo's printed all over their sides. Anyway, I bought them from your colleague (standing in the corner) a few days ago."
    "Sorry, mate. Can't do it. Need to put them back on the system, you know?"

No, I don't fcuking know, you cretin. My large boxes cost a tenner, the medium ones cost eight quid - they'd actually make money on them (however negligible an amount). Yea, big fcuking deal swapping them around :rolleyes:

Any proud jobsworths around AH? Tell me, what do you enjoy so much about invoking the letter of your company's policy? Do you get a kick out of saying "rules are rules" or do you just like acting the bo11ocks?

EDIT: Just added a lovely poll! Oooh, how exciting!

Should yer man have swapped my boxes? 37 votes

Yes, definitely. What a flippin' box-tard.
    0% 0 votes
    No way, Jose. He should've shoved them all up your box.
    100% 37 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Go over and post this in the 'cries of retail thread' in ranting+raving. I dare ya! :D

By the way, places like this don't refuse to exchange/refund an item which is obviously theirs without receipt just to inconvenience you :rolleyes: They do it because in a lot of cases, scummy fcuckers will come in and steal an item before coming back in later and trying to exchange or get a refund on said item.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Did you buy the two medium boxes in the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

your lucky you even have a job box

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭lifelongnoob

FatherLen wrote: »
    your lucky you even have a job box

but unlucky not to have a measuring tape that he could have used to check to see if the boxes where too big to fit.

always know the size of the hole your dealing with :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

kfallon wrote: »
    Did you buy the two medium boxes in the end?

Yep. I needed the boxes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 After Hours Hobo

Boy I'd love me a large box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

wilkie2006 wrote: »
    Yep. I needed the boxes.

So he managed to screw you out of the cost of 2 large boxes, looks like he got the 'Employee of the Week' all wrapped up! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,828 ✭✭✭✭28064212

No, I don't fcuking know, you cretin. My large boxes cost a tenner, the medium ones cost eight quid - they'd actually make money on them (however negligible an amount)
    Instead they just made 18 quid because you bought them anyway.

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Box

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

I should really lock this and redirect the OP to Ranting & Raving, shouldn't I?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

28064212 wrote: »

They were thinking outside the box

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

You should have left a message in their suggestion box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

You should have left a message in their suggestion box.

Must agree with this poster. Would go one step further and put the message in the box. Put the box into the car. Drive the car around the world. Until you get heard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

No, I don't fcuking know, you cretin. My large boxes cost a tenner, the medium ones cost eight quid - they'd actually make money on them (however negligible an amount). Yea, big fcuking deal swapping them around :rolleyes:

Any proud jobsworths around AH? Tell me, what do you enjoy so much about invoking the letter of your company's policy? Do you get a kick out of saying "rules are rules" or do you just like acting the bo11ocks?

Your problem then. Next time keep your receipt so those you are inconveniencing can do their job and help you. Nobody gets a kick out of it because all it does is leads to agro from some clown who doesnt have the brainpower to hold onto a receipt.

So he managed to screw you out of the cost of 2 large boxes, looks like he got the 'Employee of the Week' all wrapped up! :p

You know what, I wouldn't be surprised if he dines out on this story for a few days...

"Yea, so this fcuking pr1ck comes wandering in yesterday. 'Bought some boxes', he says, 'but I want to swap them for a different size'. 'Oh you do, do you? Who's the indecisive fcuker then? Mr-fcuking-Boxy Man over here!', I thought. So I fcuking looked him up and down, 'Have a receipt? No?'. Not such a fcuking big guy now, are you? So he tries the whole fcuking, 'No, but the logos are printed on them' spiel - I must've heard that excuse... at least twice before. So I says to him - slowly like -'can't do that for ya, mate.' If we got audited by the rainforest people, ****ing hell, I'd be out of a job. It's serious $hit. You know, it's a fcuking jungle out there. You start taking fcuking boxes off people and next off all they're trying to rape your wife or something. Jesus, you've gotta have your wits about ya. I didn't get to assistant box sales manager by being taken from behind. Anyway, he'll remember me next time he starts throwing his money around on unmeasured office or home moving containers. He learned something from the fcuking university of life today.'"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Wrapped up in a nice big box

LordSmeg wrote: »
    Your problem then. Next time keep your receipt so those you are inconveniencing can do their job and help you. Nobody gets a kick out of it because all it does is leads to agro from some clown who doesnt have the brainpower to hold onto a receipt.

Fcuking hell. It's a fcuking box, man. Jesus, the world would be a sad place if everyone's as rigid and organised as people who keep their receipts for stationary.

And actually, I think I'll take the opposite of your advice to hang on to my receipts for boxes and other sundry bull$hit items. I'd rather be normal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

You sound like a bit of a self righteous tit OP. I doubt this is the first time you've had ''jobsworths'' refuse to help you.

Pro tip: be nice to people and they might help you out when in situatons like this.

You sound like a bit of a self righteous tit OP. I doubt this is the first time you've had ''jobsworths'' refuse to help you.

Pro tip: be nice to people and they might help you out when in situatons like this.

I was very pleasant to him, actually. I thought he was a cnut but I didn't say that to him. And no, it's not the first time I've encountered a jobsworth but it's the most recent occasion.

Fcuking hell. It's a fcuking box, man. Jesus, the world would be a sad place if everyone's as rigid and organised as people who keep their receipts for stationary.

And actually, I think I'll take the opposite of your advice to hang on to my receipts for boxes and other sundry bull$hit items. I'd rather be normal.

Its a box to you its stock to the person behind the counter. He likely cant just add and delete stock whenever the hell he wants. It all has to be accounted for.

So all your doing is trying to offload your problem back onto the shop. If you buy something and immediately throw the receipt in the bin then its your own fault. Just buy the new boxes, dont try create hassle for someone else because your incapable of buying a fcukin box without turning it into a fcukin drama.

• Advertisement

You probably should keep your receipts stationary, that way you avoid this problem :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Don't blame the staff, blame stupid inflexible stock control computer programs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Shane-KornSpace

for all he knows, you could have picked the boxes off the shelf and chanced your arm getting two free boxes.
    got it alot in my old job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭rgmmg

I understand your annoyance OP. Common sense goes out the window again. He should have taken the boxes back imo. Customer disservice strikes again. The pr1ck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

I tried to exchange two unused large boxes for two medium boxes
    the medium ones cost eight quid
    28064212 wrote: »

I take it maths isn't you're strongest subject then

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭CavanCrew

who buys boxes? Lidllllllllll op

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Ted Mosby

Be obedient.
    Be happy to be obedient.
    You will never be annoyed then when a company makes extra profit from you.
    Their jobs will be protected.
    The economy will thrive.

You want the economy to thrive, don't you?
    Why do you want the economy to tank?

:P

Its a box to you its stock to the person behind the counter. He likely cant just add and delete stock whenever the hell he wants. It all has to be accounted for.

So all your doing is trying to offload your problem back onto the shop. If you buy something and immediately throw the receipt in the bin then its your own fault. Just buy the new boxes, dont try create hassle for someone else because your incapable of buying a fcukin box without turning it into a fcukin drama.

I absolutely agree that it's stock to him. However, I'm not convinced that two boxes that have fallen out of their database will really bring the company down. Indeed, for a shop that primarily deals in boxes - stocking perhaps thousands at a time - two of them are but a deckchair on the Titantic.
    dont try create hassle for someone else because your incapable of buying a fcukin box without turning it into a fcukin drama.

I think it might be hassle for a civil servant but not to most people.
    He likely cant just add and delete stock whenever the hell he wants.

Yes, because that would be lunacy, more suited to the likes of Keith Moon (or maybe Daniel O'Donnell?)

bluewolf wrote: »
    You probably should keep your receipts stationary, that way you avoid this problem :pac:

I do keep my receipts stationary - I leave them in my house. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42 rollout

You should have put the receipt in a storage container of some description.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭lifelongnoob

OP should donate the two unwanted boxes to a homeless person

for all he knows, you could have picked the boxes off the shelf and chanced your arm getting two free boxes.
    got it alot in my old job.

Nope. They have to buzz you in to the shop. Their cash desk thing is right beside the door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

"Yea, so this fcuking pr1ck comes wandering in yesterday. 'Bought some boxes', he says, 'but I want to swap them for a different size. 'Oh you do, do you? Who's the indecisive fcuker then? Mr-fcuking-Boxy Man over here!', I thought. So I fcuking looked him up and down, 'Have a receipt? No?'. Not such a fcuking big guy now, are you? So he tries the whole fcuking, "No but the logos are printed on them" spiel - I must've heard that excuse... at least twice before. So I says to him - slowly like -'can't do that for ya, mate.' If we got audited by the rainforest people, ****ing hell, I'd be out of a job. It's serious $hit. You know, it's a fcuking jungle out there. You start taking fcuking boxes off people and next off all they're trying to rape your wife or something. Jesus, you've gotta have your wits about ya. I didn't get to assistant box sales manager by being taken from behind. Anyway, he'll remember me next time he starts throwing his money around on unmeasured office or home moving containers. He learned something from the fcuking university of life today.'

Excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,828 ✭✭✭✭28064212

I take it maths isn't you're strongest subject then
    :rolleyes: Two large boxes: €10. Two medium boxes: €8. I don't have a calculator to hand, but I feel fairly confident in my maths skills

And if you're going to try to correct someone's maths, I'd try and make sure your post doesn't have its own errors

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

I absolutely agree that it's stock to him. However, I'm not convinced that two boxes that have fallen out of their database will really bring the company down. Indeed, for a shop that primarily deals in boxes - stocking perhaps thousands at a time - two of them are but a deckchair on the Titantic.

It doesnt matter, it changes nothing for the guy behind the counter. If he cant amend the stock he cant amend the stock and to do it or to accept them back all he is doing is taking your hassle off your hands. Its your problem you deal with it, dont expect someone else to do it for ya.
    I think it might be hassle for a civil servant but not to most people.

Sure it is, if he cant do it he has to find someone who can. More than likely a manager/supervisor and then explain why he accepted it back when he shouldnt have. That or accept it back and leave the stock and till out of whack.
    Yes, because that would be lunacy, more suited to the likes of Keith Moon (or maybe Daniel O'Donnell?)

Its changing stock, these things are noticed and controlled. Seriously just keep your fcukin receipt if there is any chance you may need to return it. If you bin the receipt you bin your ability to return it. So stop creating hassle for people and moaning about someone doing their job because you inconvenienced yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

You're a disgrace OP.

You're a disgrace OP.

I'm a disgrace?!! Hit me with some elucidation,please.

*shrugs*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

You're a disgrace OP.

I concur.

It doesnt matter, it changes nothing for the guy behind the counter. If he cant amend the stock he cant amend the stock and to do it or to accept them back all he is doing is taking your hassle off your hands. Its your problem you deal with it, dont expect someone else to do it for ya.

It's an issue of customer service. If a client comes to me and says, "Hey, remember that report we agreed you'd deliver next week? Actually, I want it at the end of this week" I don't shrug my shoulders and tell them they should've thought of that before. I try to accommodate them because I'm not a jobsworth. Yes, customers can be a pain the ar$e - I've worked in loads of customer facing roles in my time - but that's the nature of being a retailer.
    Sure it is, if he cant do it he has to find someone who can. More than likely a manager/supervisor and then explain why he accepted it back when he shouldnt have. That or accept it back and leave the stock and till out of whack.

He was senior enough that he could have just swapped the two without making a fuss. If it was 50 or 100 boxes I'd appreciate his position but two - even if it was noticed - makes almost no difference to anyone's life. In any case - relative to other boxes they sell - the two sets of boxes in question were virtually the same price and size.

[/QUOTE]Its changing stock, these things are noticed and controlled. Seriously just keep your fcukin receipt if there is any chance you may need to return it. If you bin the receipt you bin your ability to return it. So stop creating hassle for people and moaning about someone doing their job because you inconvenienced yourself.[/QUOTE]

I didn't create hassle for him because he refused to cooperate.

And yes, I fully accept that I had no consumer rights on my side but just because a rule says something it doesn't mean people have to abide by it really. Sometimes being a bit sound and helping someone out is nice too.

• Advertisement

*shrugs*
    Shryke wrote: »
    I concur.

What??! I'm a disgrace because I went into a shop and politely asked to exchange something without a receipt and was pi$$ed off when they refused?

Are you taking the pi$$?

No receipt, no leg to stand on. It's very simple. Your rage at something that everyone knows is only childish. You're not special.

What??! I'm a disgrace because I went into a shop and politely asked to exchange something without a receipt and was pi$$ed off when they refused?

Are you taking the pi$$?

:D

It's an issue of customer service. If a client comes to me and says, "Hey, remember that report we agreed you'd deliver next week? Actually, I want it at the end of this week" I don't shrug my shoulders and tell them they should've thought of that before. I try to accommodate them because I'm not a jobsworth. Yes, customers can be a pain the ar$e - I've worked in loads of customer facing roles in my time - but that's the nature of being a retailer.

So then you should understand that you are working for the company and dealing with people how they want you to deal with people. If they are told not to accept returns without a receipt then its not a customer service issue its a policy issue.
    He was senior enough that he could have just swapped the two without making a fuss. If it was 50 or 100 boxes I'd appreciate his position but two - even if it was noticed - makes almost no difference to anyone's life. In any case - relative to other boxes they sell - the two sets of boxes in question were virtually the same price and size.

How do you know he could have swapped them ? And regardless of whether or not he could he wasnt obliged to do so whether by law or by the policy of the company he was working for. Your still upset because they did their job and wouldnt rectify YOUR mistake. The guy did nothing wrong.
    I didn't create hassle for him because he refused to cooperate.

And yes, I fully accept that I had no consumer rights on my side but just because a rule says something it doesn't mean people have to abide by it really. Sometimes being a bit sound and helping someone out is nice too.

So your pissed off because he did his job and didnt bend the rules to accommodate you and your mistakes ? He does have to abid by the rules of his employer, he is contracted to do just that. Its all well and good to say he should have helped you but you removed his ability to help you by throwing away the receipt. He doesnt have to do jack shít for you, it would have been great if he could have but he's not a cnut if he doesnt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

I got at least 3 lolls out of this thread.

No receipt, no leg to stand on. It's very simple. Your rage at something that everyone knows is only childish. You're not special.

And that makes me a disgrace? :rolleyes:

Do you never question rules and company policies? This wasn't an expensive piece of equipment, this was a cheap bit of cardboard (still in its wrapping). What exactly do you think the problem with swapping one box with another is? Regulations? Yea, yea, yea. I think a bit of independent thought goes a long way.

I understand that legally I don't have any "leg to stand on" but was a very reasonable favour to ask that was very unreasonably denied.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Do you have a receipt, or any proof that you didn't rob them?
    "No, but clearly they're your company's - your logo's printed all over their sides. Anyway, I bought them from your colleague (standing in the corner) a few days ago."
    Ah. Well then, go away.
    And no, it's not the first time I've encountered a jobsworth but it's the most recent occasion.
    I'm taking this isn't the first time you've gotten the wrong item in the shop, and come to get it exchanged a few days later?

So then you should understand that you are working for the company and dealing with people how they want you to deal with people. If they are told not to accept returns without a receipt then its not a customer service issue its a policy issue.

But why did I really need a receipt? In normal returns circumstances it proves what was bought, where, when and its value. The things I wanted to exchange (I wasn't looking for my money back) had the company's logo all over them - that was only local place I could've bought them!!!! The were also in perfect, re-saleable condition. This incident required the guy to use his initiative, which he didn't do.
    How do you know he could have swapped them ? And regardless of whether or not he could he wasnt obliged to do so whether by law or by the policy of the company he was working for. Your still upset because they did their job and wouldnt rectify YOUR mistake. The guy did nothing wrong.

I don't know for certain that he had the authority to swap them but come on, they were worth £8. It's hardly a bit thing, is it? If I had been working there I wouldn't have asked my boss, I would've just swapped them over because, you know, it's hardly a big deal. I would've been looking to help someone out.

So your pissed off because he did his job and didnt bend the rules to accommodate you and your mistakes ? He does have to abid by the rules of his employer, he is contracted to do just that. Its all well and good to say he should have helped you but you removed his ability to help you by throwing away the receipt. He doesnt have to do jack shít for you, it would have been great if he could have but he's not a cnut if he doesnt.

That's exactly what I'm pi$$ed off about. I made a mistake (that I assumed was very minor) and met with an absolute lack of cooperation when I tried to remedy it. I fully agree that legally he didn't have to help me but I think it was a bit mean of him not to.

the_syco wrote: »
    Do you have a receipt, or any proof that you didn't rob them?

Addressed this earlier. You get buzzed into the shop and the cash desk is right beside the door. They watched me walk the ten feet from the door to their desk holding two big bits of cardboard.

And that makes me a disgrace? :rolleyes:

Do you never question rules and company policies? This wasn't an expensive piece of equipment, this was a cheap bit of cardboard (still in its wrapping). What exactly do you think the problem with swapping one box with another is? Regulations? Yea, yea, yea. I think a bit of independent thought goes a long way.

I understand that legally I don't have any "leg to stand on" but was a very reasonable favour to ask that was very unreasonably denied.

Which is what everyone would say. Like I said, you're not special. The next guy like you will expect the same, and the guy after him.
    The rules are simple to understand and not unfair. Get on with your life ffs.

• Advertisement
Advertisement