Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jobsworths

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Only thing I can think of is that his point of sale doesn't allow refunds/exchanges without the receipt reference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

FFS, OP - if you want rid of the effing boxes so badly, I'll take them off your hands for free. Problem solved.

*is sound*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

Ficheall wrote: »
    FFS, OP - if you want rid of the effing boxes so badly, I'll take them off your hands for free. Problem solved.

*is sound*

Nah, I've got something very, very special planned for those large boxes; I'm going to put my medium-sized boxes inside them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

wilkie2006 wrote: »
    But why did I really need a receipt? In normal returns circumstances it proves what was bought, where, when and its value. The things I wanted to exchange (I wasn't looking for my money back) had the company's logo all over them - that was only local place I could've bought them!!!! The were also in perfect, re-saleable condition. This incident required the guy to use his initiative, which he didn't do.

Take that up with the company, whatever the guy behind the counter does its logged and he needs paperwork for everything. It sounds like its easy to just take something back and log it in but anywhere I worked you just couldnt do it. The manager would personally amend the stock from the returns every so often. If I put through a return without a receipt then I had hassle for it. So I refused to do it, not because I'm a dick, not because I wanted to be unhelpful but because I didnt see any reason for me personally to take on someone else hassle.
    I don't know for certain that he had the authority to swap them but come on, they were worth £8. It's hardly a bit thing, is it? If I had been working there I wouldn't have asked my boss, I would've just swapped them over because, you know, it's hardly a big deal. I would've been looking to help someone out.

Doesnt matter a shít whether its 8 or 80 if he hadnt the authority to exchange them. You may well have done that but would ya do it again after getting an earful and talked to like your a child who cant follow simple company policy ? You think this is the first time that guy ever encountered someone without a receipt ? Its a regular occurrence which that guy was probably well used to and knew what his job was in that regard. Refuse to accept it back. Job done, sorry pal cant help ya.
    That's exactly what I'm pi$$ed off about. I made a mistake (that I assumed was very minor) and met with an absolute lack of cooperation when I tried to remedy it. I fully agree that legally he didn't have to help me but I think it was a bit mean of him not to.

Nothing to do with being mean he was just doing his job. Why should he break company policy, take on extra hassle and do something he shouldnt be doing for some guy he doesnt know ?

"Hey, I bought these boxes a couple of days ago but they're too big. I haven't used them - they're still wrapped in their plastic - can I swap them for two of those smaller ones?"
    Nah, I've got something very, very special planned for those large boxes; I'm going to put my medium-sized boxes inside them.

Whop of dishonesty off your story, OP.

Ficheall wrote: »
    Whop of dishonesty off your story, OP.

That was a joke. Yea, I'm gonna fill two medium sized boxes and then put them into two marginally larger boxes? Not sure of the benefit of that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Pantsface

OP you should go back and start crying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,338 ✭✭✭Archeron

Dress up as a scary horror film clown and climb inside one of the big boxes. Have someone gift wrap it and put his name on it. When, all wide and excited, he opens his gift, jump out screaming. As he lies on the floor terrified, take off your mask, remind him that you wouldnt have fit in a medium box, and run for the door.

LordSmeg wrote: »
    Take that up with the company, whatever the guy behind the counter does its logged and he needs paperwork for everything. It sounds like its easy to just take something back and log it in but anywhere I worked you just couldnt do it. The manager would personally amend the stock from the returns every so often. If I put through a return without a receipt then I had hassle for it. So I refused to do it, not because I'm a dick, not because I wanted to be unhelpful but because I didnt see any reason for me personally to take on someone else hassle.

Doesnt matter a shít whether its 8 or 80 if he hadnt the authority to exchange them. You may well have done that but would ya do it again after getting an earful and talked to like your a child who cant follow simple company policy ? You think this is the first time that guy ever encountered someone without a receipt ? Its a regular occurrence which that guy was probably well used to and knew what his job was in that regard. Refuse to accept it back. Job done, sorry pal cant help ya.

Nothing to do with being mean he was just doing his job. Why should he break company policy, take on extra hassle and do something he shouldnt be doing for some guy he doesnt know ?

INDIGNANT INTERNET HIGH HORSE RANT ALERT

• Advertisement

Archeron wrote: »
    Dress up as a scary horror film clown and climb inside one of the big boxes. Have someone gift wrap it and put his name on it. When, all wide and excited, he opens his gift, jump out screaming. As he lies on the floor terrified, take off your mask, remind him that you wouldnt have fit in a medium box, and run for the door.

Haha. You made tea come out of my nose there. Very good :D

Pantsface wrote: »
    INDIGNANT INTERNET HIGH HORSE RANT ALERT

Or common sense and rational thought. Suppose you'd have to be capable of both though to see that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

You didn't buy a toilet seat off lidl recently did you op?

Or common sense and rational thought. Suppose you'd have to be capable of both though to see that.

meh, you'd wanna find a more worthy cause to get all giddy-upped about mate

meh, you'd wanna find a more worthy cause to get all giddy-upped about mate

I'm not giddy-upped about nottin. Perhaps you could try making some kind of a relevant contribution.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

Aldi or Lidl have a 39 bit mini multi function tool this Thursday for a cent under 40 euro. Get on your high horse and buy one of those and grind the sh#*it out of your 2 large boxes. If your skilled enough you might end up with 2 medium boxes and a free small box. Bring your multi tool back to Aldi or Lidl and explain that it don't work and get a refund.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭yizorselves

Bet you felt like boxing the head off the employee

You did didnt you?! You old sailor you! You big box buying son of a bitch!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Console yourself OP, that the Box b0llox has to go work in the box shop as a box-wallah again tomorrow, and the next day, and the next. Have a little grin. He is King of the boxes, and as such has power - the power to be in charge of boxes. Pity the poor petty cnut and move on. :) Oh and "box":D The fun you could have - "your box is too big and loose for me, do you have a smaller box I can jam my goods into?", etc etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

I'm not giddy-upped about nottin. Perhaps you could try making some kind of a relevant contribution.

You're pontificating to the OP about cardboard boxes and stock control systems. God knows what else you get up to but I'll be sure to keep my kids away from you you potential child rapist.

Mod edit: User banned.

You're pontificating to the OP about cardboard boxes and stock control systems. God knows what else you get up to but I'll be sure to keep my kids away from you you potential child rapist.

I'm not pontificating just telling it like it is. You throw away your receipt and you have no grounds to whinge when you cant exchange your items. Simple stuff really.

I was gonna say so simple an idiot could understand it. But it seems there's a few here who are struggling with the concept.

Tallyho!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Tallyho!
    I used to live there. It's quite nice.

Pottler wrote: »
    I used to live there. It's quite nice.

Is it near anally retentive reciept clenching town?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

Yep. I needed the boxes.

Snake, is that you? SNAKE??!!! SNAAAAAAAAKKKEEEEE!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,439 ✭✭✭weemcd

To the OP.

You are fúcking wrong. You made not one, but two mistakes. Deal with it. This is no fault of anyone but your own, no point in taking it out on someone who works in a place that has a procedure he has to follow. It wasn't his fault you bought the wrong boxes, or threw the receipt away.

This is typical of the way people (****) behave today, you made a mistake but for some inexplicable fúcking reason it's someone else's fault.

Also, harden the fúck up.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭yizorselves

I'm gonna go get the boxes get the boxes

weemcd wrote: »
    To the OP.

You are fúcking wrong. You made not one, but two mistakes. Deal with it. This is no fault of anyone but your own, no point in taking it out on someone who works in a place that has a procedure he has to follow. It wasn't his fault you bought the wrong boxes, or threw the receipt away.

I did deal with it - I bought new boxes. I didn't take it out on anyone - I was very polite to the guy.

It's not someone else's fault that I bought the wrong boxes. It was easy to remedy, however, and I found the chap to be thoroughly unreasonable.

This is typical of the way people (****) behave today, you made a mistake but for some inexplicable fúcking reason it's someone else's fault.

Is that your way of calling me a wanker without getting yourself an infraction. Very clever.

Also, harden the fúck up.

What does that even refer to?!! Harden the **** up?! What? How?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

28064212 wrote: »
    :rolleyes: Two large boxes: €10. Two medium boxes: €8. I don't have a calculator to hand, but I feel fairly confident in my maths skills

And if you're going to try to correct someone's maths, I'd try and make sure your post doesn't have its own errors

It'd be 16 quid, not 18.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Just back from a self storage unit, where I tried to exchange two unused large boxes for two medium boxes. Fairly straightforward, right? No.

"Hey, I bought these boxes a couple of days ago but they're too big. I haven't used them - they're still wrapped in their plastic - can I swap them for two of those smaller ones?"
    "Do you have a receipt?"
    "No, but clearly they're your company's - your logo's printed all over their sides. Anyway, I bought them from your colleague (standing in the corner) a few days ago."
    "Sorry, mate. Can't do it. Need to put them back on the system, you know?"

No, I don't fcuking know, you cretin. My large boxes cost a tenner, the medium ones cost eight quid - they'd actually make money on them (however negligible an amount). Yea, big fcuking deal swapping them around :rolleyes:

Any proud jobsworths around AH? Tell me, what do you enjoy so much about invoking the letter of your company's policy? Do you get a kick out of saying "rules are rules" or do you just like acting the bo11ocks?

Yeah he should put his job at risk/cause himself an unnecessary headache just to help you. Get your receipt or f*ck off. Simple as.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/consumer_protection/consumer_rights/consumers_and_the_law_in_ireland.html
    You have no grounds for redress if

You were told about the defect before you bought the item (for example, if the goods were marked 'shopsoiled')
    You examined the item before you bought it and should have seen the defect
    You bought the item knowing that it wasn’t fit for what you wanted it to do
    You broke or damaged the product
    You made a mistake when buying the item (for example, if you bought an item of clothing thinking it was black when it is actually navy)
    You change your mind

Retailers are not obliged to give refunds or credit notes under the above circumstances even if you show proof of purchase.

so even if you find that receipt you are still relying on their goodwill unless they have some sort of "30 day moneyback*" thingy

*Christmas trees excepted

OP, I can't believe you've worked in retail and don't see how unreasonable you're being. It's hit a nerve personally.

My job is in a particular type of retail where transactions tend to be personal for people, as in, the customers tend to feel like their purchases are special, even though for the shop, we're getting hundreds every day. So about 50% of customers expect special treatment, and it's exhausting.

I actually had to pay out of my own pocket the other day to try to help a customer who had bought the wrong thing, used it, and came back to complain. And I'm not talking a few cent here. Most businesses are restricted by computer systems these days, but customers just can't understand why we can't, as they always say "just" do this or do that for them. You try to be as accommodating as possible, but a lot of the times their requests are so ridiculous there's just no way to get it through the shop system. You can't tell a computer "oh but please". And then they think you're a bitch, and they tell you as much. Some days my job is honestly soul destroying, and it's because of customers like you who point blank refuse to understand when I try to explain why I can't perform their request. That's why I ended up paying for someone's purchase the other day, because I get so much anger all day that I become so desperate to have a happy customer I end up being out of pocket the cost of their mistake.

Is it possible the staff member you dealt with was being mean? Well sure, it's possible. But it's far more likely that you were refusing to listen when he tried to explain why he couldn't take the boxes back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,828 ✭✭✭✭28064212

ottostreet wrote: »
    It'd be 16 quid, not 18.
    What is up with people attempting to "fix" basic maths? The company received €18 - Two large boxes: €10. Two medium boxes: €8. That is the only thing I said

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

I usually employ this type of line:

Are you telling me it's absolutely impossible for you to exchange a box?

1.) He won't be able to admit it's impossible, because nothing of this nature is.
    2.) He'll feel stupid, backed into a corner and he'll have to exchange your box.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

If I was the worker I would have swapped them out for you no probs.

If I was you I would have walked in regardless of what that a$$$hole said, put down the big boxes and walked out with the smaller ones.

If he had of said anything just say : "**ck ya, call the gards"

you'd be long gone, not that there's anythng wrong with the above anyway ^^

remember - the customers is always right - this will stand up in court

Stiffler2 wrote: »
    remember - the customers is always right - this will stand up in court
    A nonsense post about something you clearly know nothing about, but spoken with a vague air of authority in the hope it will be accepted as such

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

That's why I ended up paying for someone's purchase the other day, because I get so much anger all day that I become so desperate to have a happy customer I end up being out of pocket the cost of their mistake.

Where do you work, i'll start shopping there if you're gonna buy my stuff for me!

A nonsense post about something you clearly know nothing about, but spoken with a vague air of authority in the hope it will be accepted as such

I don't think Stiffler was being entirely serious...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

That's why I ended up paying for someone's purchase the other day, because I get so much anger all day that I become so desperate to have a happy customer I end up being out of pocket the cost of their mistake.

Not worth the hassle. Find a new job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Just back from a self storage unit, where I tried to exchange two unused large boxes for two medium boxes. Fairly straightforward, right? No.

"Do you have a receipt?"
    "No, but clearly they're your company's - your logo's printed all over their sides. Anyway, I bought them from your colleague (standing in the corner) a few days ago."
    "Sorry, mate. Can't do it. Need to put them back on the system, you know?"

No, I don't fcuking know, you cretin. My large boxes cost a tenner, the medium ones cost eight quid - they'd actually make money on them (however negligible an amount). Yea, big fcuking deal swapping them around :rolleyes:

Any proud jobsworths around AH? Tell me, what do you enjoy so much about invoking the letter of your company's policy? Do you get a kick out of saying "rules are rules" or do you just like acting the bo11ocks?

Receipt or GTFO.

It's that simple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

Could the OP say where he got the boxes, I might drop in there, I'm stuck on level 72 of boxworld and the boxman might be able to help me out

• Advertisement

Oh My, * drops monicle *

I didn't realise you had a degree in boxes :rolleyes:

looks like someone had their thesaurus out

dot dot dot

You can't tell a computer "oh but please". And then they think you're a bitch, and they tell you as much. Some days my job is honestly soul destroying, and it's because of customers like you who point blank refuse to understand when I try to explain why I can't perform their request.

Okay, there seems to be a perception that I argued with the chap I was dealing with. That's absolutely not the case. I - very politely - asked if he'd swap the boxes and he said no. I said okay, I'd like to buy some boxes then, please. There was no extended argument where I swore at him, invoked my human rights or made a scene. The reasons for this are two-fold:

1) I'm actually pretty polite and good natured. I have no desire to upset or harass people, particularly when they work in retail or have public-facing roles. I appreciate they get a lot of $hit from people and have no interest in contributing to that.
    2) I had better things to do than negotiate over a tenner's worth of cardboard with someone who was apparently very resolute in his convictions. While not pleased about it, I instantly accepted that it was a cost I was going to have to absorb.

I actually had to pay out of my own pocket the other day to try to help a customer who had bought the wrong thing, used it, and came back to complain. And I'm not talking a few cent here.

While very laudable, I think you probably went way beyond what's expected of you there. Any customer who accepted your gesture is probably a bit of a pr1ck. If I'd been presented with that offer I would have turned it down but thanked the gentleman sincerely.

Most businesses are restricted by computer systems these days, but customers just can't understand why we can't, as they always say "just" do this or do that for them.

Yes, I have no doubt that many companies are indeed restricted by computer systems. What I couldn't understand was why the guy I dealt with was so keen on re-entering two cheap boxes. So what if two boxes weren't on the system? The difference it would have made to his company was infinitesimal.

I understand consumer rights and agree that, in many cases, company policies are there for a very good reason and need to be observed. I realise that retailers encounter charlatans on a daily basis and they need recourse to clear and emphatic laws. However, what I object to are jobsworths like the gentleman I met. That is, those people who have someone found their way into a position of minor authority and who either a) enjoy enforcing the rules to the letter because it gives them a kick, or b) don't have the cop on to realise when a rule can be broken because the customer isn't trying to pull a fast one on them.
    You try to be as accommodating as possible, but a lot of the times their requests are so ridiculous there's just no way to get it through the shop system.

From the very onset, it was quite apparent that the guy I dealt with had a bit of an attitude and that he wasn't the sort to be "as accommodating as possible". Initially, I referred my question to a younger lady, who deferred to him, who was sitting right beside her. General manners would have dictated that he addressed the situation promptly but I estimate I waited about 40 seconds for him to finish reading his article about John Terry's ongoing court case and then to take an affectedly long slurp of his tea.
    Is it possible the staff member you dealt with was being mean? Well sure, it's possible. But it's far more likely that you were refusing to listen when he tried to explain why he couldn't take the boxes back.

I think I've addressed this but - to reiterate - I did listen to him, assessed his response and decided that there was no point in petitioning him further.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Roadend wrote: »
    Could the OP say where he got the boxes, I might drop in there, I'm stuck on level 72 of boxworld and the boxman might be able to help me out

Try spinning the middle side topwise.

Roadend wrote: »

The Boxland Bazaar

Stiffler2 wrote: »
    Oh My, * drops monicle *

I didn't realise you had a degree in boxes :rolleyes:

looks like someone had their thesaurus out

dot dot dot
    Oh I'm sorry, too many syllables?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Thatnastyboy

God ted,

I had a dream last night that all these people had a 7 page thread talking about feckin boxes

AHHH its real :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Yes, I have no doubt that many companies are indeed restricted by computer systems. What I couldn't understand was why the guy I dealt with was so keen on re-entering two cheap boxes. So what if two boxes weren't on the system? The difference it would have made to his company was infinitesimal.

You are talking like the guy working there and the company are the same thing. They're not. the guy has to answer to the company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

God ted,

I had a dream last night that all these people had a 7 page thread talking about feckin boxes

AHHH its real :eek:

How strange, I had a dream about a box too.

Oh I'm sorry, too many syllables?

too many letters

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

I think this thread has potential to make 100 pages. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

You are talking like the guy working there and the company are the same thing. They're not. the guy has to answer to the company.

Are you saying the company refuse outright to help a customer is such manner?

I don't know any companies like that...

'Yer man' is a representative of the company and therefore has a say in such matters. I'm leading with this because there's no way they've no returns policy.

'Do you have the receipt?' - No.

'Can't put it back in the system so!'

Doesn't make any sense, does it?

• Advertisement
Advertisement