Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Weird experience with a clairvoyant

• 10-07-2012 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭

Went to see a clairvoyant on Saturday and had the usual experience of them knowing a few bits and pieces that surprised me, but being a cynic I'm sure they have their methods. As I was leaving I said something a bit cheeky that suggested I thought it was a bit of a con but worth the few quid for the experience.

She then stood up and said that someone I loved as a teenager would be dead within a year but that I would not be overly upset by their death. Not only that but that I would dream about this person within a few days.

Now this sent cold fear through me. However I decided that I would not even try and think of all the people that would fit this description as I would have them in my mind and only end up dreaming about them.

I woke up at four this morning in a cold sweat awoken from a nightmare that I can remember little about except that it involved Joey Potter from Dawson's Creek!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

Ever had anything come true from theses watery old tarts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

She saw you parting with 50 quid quick enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

You should give TV3 a call the next time

I know someone that was told a close family member would be dead within a year.

Not only that, they were told it would be by suicide. Thankfully it didn't happen as these chancers cannot tell the future.

Stay away from these people would be sound advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭forfuxsake

Lumbo wrote: »

I don't have a TV so don't get the reference. Do they have a clairvoyant programme?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

If you dont warn Joey Potter then your technically a murderer if he/she dies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Pedant

"I'm getting an M, no, maybe an F..."

"Yes, yes! I got a cousin named Fergal. Wow, you're amazing."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

hmmmm.... i wonder what sort of price Paddy Powers would give on Joey Potter from Dawsons Creek croaking it before the year is out, worth a flutter me thinks :cool:

Mary loves Dick!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Tbh, Katie Holmes "dying" in the next 12 months probably stands a relatively decent chance of happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

forfuxsake wrote: »
    Lumbo wrote: »

I don't have a TV so don't get the reference. Do they have a clairvoyant programme?
    How do you watch dawson's creek?

• Advertisement

I don't have a TV so don't get the reference.

hold up! i'm takin this thread else where... no tv??? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

She then stood up and said that someone I loved as a teenager would be dead within a year
    Sounds like a death threat to me, report her to the guards!

seamus wrote: »
    Tbh, Katie Holmes "dying" in the next 12 months probably stands a relatively decent chance of happening.

:pac:

ye never beat the bookies i guess :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,134 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I must be psychic, I clicked on the thread knowing that Forfuxsake was going to tell us about a weird experience with a clairvoyant :eek:

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I must be psychic, I clicked on the thread knowing that Forfuxsake was going to tell us about a weird experience with a clairvoyant :eek:

give me tonights lotto numbers then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

davet82 wrote: »
    hmmmm.... i wonder what sort of price Paddy Powers would give on Joey Potter from Dawsons Creek croaking it before the year is out, worth a flutter me thinks :cool:

http://www.cash4cadavers.com/index.php

Ficheall wrote: »

i've got this urge to go kill katie holmes now :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

davet82 wrote: »
    give me tonights lotto numbers then

17 26 4 9 12 41

17 26 4 9 12 41

ffs pm me!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

Did you watch Dawson's creek as a teenager? Katie's in the news lately, with extra bodyguards...eerie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

17 26 4 9 12 41

I just did these numbers for tonight. If they dont come up, I'll find you :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Did you watch Dawson's creek as a teenager? Katie's in the news lately, with extra bodyguards...eerie

Yeah, the clairvoyant is probably aware of that too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

It's cold reading, simple as that.

These charlatans annoy the hell out of me.

Oh you're hearing a name beginning with the letter P are you? Just tell us the name and stop with the riddles you lying cunt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

I always thought a clairvoyant was a "lady of the night".
    So that means my Grandad wasn't getting hookers every time he mentioned visiting a clairvoyant:eek:
    You're telling me he was actually a whack job:eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Hallo, I am a very rich and famous.. let's see... what the cards hold and if you will too.

Sindri wrote: »
    Yeah, the clairvoyant is probably aware of that too.

She didnt say it though, she said it would be somebody they would dream about who they loved as a teenager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

She didnt say it though, she said it would be somebody they would dream about who they loved as a teenager

There are potentially hundreds of people that a teenager loved. The 6 years of a teenager is a long time, think of all the TV shows, sports shows, people in your class, friends, family that are about...it isn't eerie.

Red Hand wrote: »
    There are potentially hundreds of people that a teenager loved. The 6 years of a teenager is a long time, think of all the TV shows, sports shows, people in your class, friends, family that are about...it isn't eerie.

She shouldn't have said it to him anyway, I believe in all that stuff, that you can get a sense of what is going to happen, but nothing is set in stone.

But from my limited understanding of it, I'm sure you're not meant to give bad news to people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

It's cold reading, simple as that.

These charlatans annoy the hell out of me.

Oh you're hearing a name beginning with the letter P are you? Just tell us the name and stop with the riddles you lying cunt.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

You will all pass water before the evening is out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Where To wrote: »

I've just passed more than that :(

Anyone got any savlon? :o

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

She shouldn't have said it to him anyway, I believe in all that stuff, that you can get a sense of what is going to happen, but nothing is set in stone.

But from my limited understanding of it, I'm sure you're not meant to give bad news to people.

You're limited understanding of what? There's nothing going on with these people except that they can get gullible people to believe what they say and part with their hard earned money.

Psychics/Clairvoyants/Conmen/Tricksters............ are you seeing a pattern here.

Parlour tricks is all they have going on. They can read your emotions, facial expressions, eye movements etc and tell you stuff that seems relevant to you. That's if they are good.

Other times they just pure make sh1t up.

Just another point about your post, "If" they can see the future, why aren't they supposed to tell you bad stuff?

It's a load of bollix if you ask me.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    You're limited understanding of what? There's nothing going on with these people except that they can get gullible people to believe what they say and part with their hard earned money.

Psychics/Clairvoyants/Conmen/Tricksters............ are you seeing a pattern here.

Parlour tricks is all they have going on. They can read your emotions, facial expressions, eye movements etc and tell you stuff that seems relevant to you. That's if they are good.

Other times they just pure make sh1t up.

Just another point about your post, "If" they can see the future, why aren't they supposed to tell you bad stuff?

It's a load of bollix if you ask me.

I think people who have studied spirituality can sense the future, and more exactly what are a few likely scenarios, as there is no set outcome, more a likeliness of what will happen. AS I said this is something I would have interest in, but I completely that there are people who just use it to make money and exploit other people.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭u_c_thesecond

LordSmeg wrote: »
    If you dont warn Joey Potter then your technically a murderer if he/she dies.

joey potter was played by katie holmes

katie holmes left tom cruise

he gets his scientoligy nuts after her

she dead!

cracked the case:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

She then stood up and said that someone I loved as a teenager would be dead within a year but that I would not be overly upset by their death. Not only that but that I would dream about this person within a few days.
    How many people were you involved with as a teenager ?
    As teenager you would have to include everyone you fantasied about , ie. everyone of the opposite sex you met , hundreds

People you know die all the time - not necessarily people you are close to , but people you know of

Odds are good that there will be a coincidence / collision since humans are very good at pattern recognition.

Also depends on your age too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

I woke up at four this morning in a cold sweat awoken from a nightmare that I can remember little about except that it involved Joey Potter from Dawson's Creek!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:
    I don't want to wait for this thread to be over ♫

Yes it really sours the con if you start throwing out bad news to the mark. It's good for a big score and flee but in the long run you want to be giving the mark good news so the seasons become sort of therapeutic and comes back for the feel good factor.

The fact you think they shouldn't give bad news kind of highlights the fact we all know it's going to be a form of entertainment. You wouldn't come out of a mechanics saying "he really shouldn't have told me my tyre was so bad it was going to explode".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭lifelongnoob

she put the idea of dreaming about her in your head.... obviously now your thinking about her alot more and so its very likely you will have a dream about her.

question is would you still have had that dream if the clairvoent had not said anything about the girl or you having a dream about her.... i seriously doubt it.

its all cobblers if u ask me

i'm not clairvouent but your going to dream about football sometime this week.... keep me updated ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Where To wrote: »

Well, i do go home by the canal.
    You're scarily accurate!

• Advertisement

I think people who have studied spirituality can sense the future, and more exactly what are a few likely scenarios, as there is no set outcome, more a likeliness of what will happen. AS I said this is something I would have interest in, but I completely that there are people who just use it to make money and exploit other people.

Study spirituality?
    Missus, you trippin!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,844 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

How do you go about studying spirituality?

Likely scenarios is exactly what they do, oh your in your 40's 50's a family member will die.

20's 30's someone in your family\friends will get married or you will meet your love. bla bla bla bla.

Stupid crap :mad:

Exactly, the majority of peoples lives follow a very similar pattern. It's extremely easy to make vague predictions about everyone and anyone, and be right a good lot of the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Ms.M

According to "The Secret", we all decide our own future. We attract things to us; so if you believe you'll win a million euro, and imagine you've already won it, it will inevitably happen. If you constantly worry about money and expect to be on a crap wage for eternity.... you will be!

Oh yes, and regarding any famine / holocaust / catastrophe that has ever happened... those people "attracted" those events to themselves because of their own internal misery.

Seriously.

That's why some people are rich and happy y'all! It's... duh, duh, duh....
    "The Secret."

Be positive guys mkaaaay!

(I did not purchase this book, it was on a dresser)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I once went to one and was told that someone i knew or someone that i knew that knew someone or someone that i knew that knew someone that knew someone else would come into money within the next 10 years and that that same person would have someone close to them die within 3 yrs from that date.

Well...just as prophescised my friends friends friend won a tenner on the lotto 4 years after that and then 2 yrs later his granny died. I nearly died when i heard it, it was bone chilling the accuracy of the whole thing!

I'm going to see her again sometime in the future to see what other uncanny foretellings she can come up with.

Ms.M wrote: »
    (I did not purchase this book, it was on a dresser)
    You mean to say the book found you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭lifelongnoob

ScumLord wrote: »
    You mean to say the book found you?

sssshhhhh it's meant to be The Secret ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Went to see a clairvoyant on Saturday and had the usual experience of them knowing a few bits and pieces that surprised me, but being a cynic I'm sure they have their methods. As I was leaving I said something a bit cheeky that suggested I thought it was a bit of a con but worth the few quid for the experience.

Now this sent cold fear through me. However I decided that I would not even try and think of all the people that would fit this description as I would have them in my mind and only end up dreaming about them.

Ever had anything come true from theses watery old tarts?

That's a fairly broad statement. That could be ANYONE! Think of the countless celebrities, be it actors, bands, etc,etc that you 'loved' as a teenager. She's taken you for a mug.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Exactly, the majority of peoples lives follow a very similar pattern. It's extremely easy to make vague predictions about everyone and anyone, and be right a good lot of the time.

It relies partially on the fact that we tend to think of ourselves as exceptionally unique, that we follow unique patterns and the things we do, think and feel are things that other never do, or very rarely do.

Simple things like getting your jacket pocket or a belt loop caught in a door handle. An event that seems really unlikely and something that would "only happen to me". Yes, it happens to everyone.

In reality we are extraordinarily similar in how we think and feel and this is what "psychics" use to make "readings" of us.

Derren Browne did a great bit on cold reading;
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ovc9lmmPVw

Summary: He did the same thing in a number of different countries. He took five or six random people into a room and asked them to pick a numbered envelope at random. They were to put some personal effects into the envelope while he wasn't looking, so he wouldn't know who put what in which envelope.
    He then took the envelopes and went away for an hour. When he arrived back, he had written a description of each person, based on what they'd put in the envelope, and slotted it into the envelope.
    The people then took their envelopes and went away to read their "profile" privately.
    Everyone agreed that he'd been fairly accurate, ranging from about 80% right to "absolutely spot on".

He then asked them to fold it up and to mix them up randomly so that everyone would end up with someone else's profile and he wouldn't know who. If they got their own profile back, they just swapped again.
    The groups continually kept opening the piece of paper and then immediately passing it back around, taking a few goes to realise what was going on - the exact same thing was written on every sheet of paper, it was a stock description he had written days beforehand, printed five times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

^Seen very similar experiments with horoscopes. Everyone gets the same one regardless of "starsign" and everyone agrees that it's pretty spot on regarding what's going on in their lives at the moment and then are asked to pass it to the person next to them.....

"Your starsign means you are a thoughtful person, however, that doesn't rule out acting on impulse when confronted with an important decision. People in your family circle will rely on you for advice in a crisis but you shouldn't be afraid to ask for advice yourself as you will face decision time shortly that will affect your professional life. Be good to yourself, your starsign means you are at risk of being a workaholic so now might be a good time for a break. A special someone is close at hand - or may have already made an appearance in your life."

What do you think? Could I be an astrologer?

• Advertisement
Advertisement