Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent relief credit - moving to non-registered landlord

Options
  • 10-07-2012 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

Hi,
    Had a look at pervious posts but unfortunately can't find answer to my burning question...

Myself and the boyfriend have been renting for a number of years and both signed up a number of years ago for the rent relief tax credit (€1200 * 20% p.a as under 55).

Situation is that we are now moving apartment and the new landlord is not registered with the PRTB. When we raised this with him he dropped the rent down - assuming he doesn't want to declare his rental income so it's the much cheaper option for him to drop our rent and not register. Apart for that bit of illegal behaviour everything else seems to be above board, detail lease, inventory list etc.

We are registered with PRTB with our current landlady. I fear that we may loose our rent relief credit as result of the move to non registered landlord. What is the process followed when we move out of current address - does the landlady communicate the names & PPS numbers of those moving out to PRTB and replace with the new leasee(s)? In that case, does the PRTB then communicate to revenue that we are no longer entitled to rent relief at the old address following which our credit will be removed??

Would be interested to hear if anyone who has had a similar experience to us with no effect on the rent relief credit. Would be great if could get best of both worlds – cheaper rent + rent relief credit :P

I know we can fill out the rent relief form again and supply new landlords details but I don’t want to follow that route and result in aggravated landlord.

Cheers
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

You are renting. You are entitled to the rental tax credit regardless if your Landlord is registered with PRTB or is tax compliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,504 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

i thought the tax credit was gone if you sign up somewhere new?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

You just full out a new form Rent1.

It's a moral issue I suppose. You know the landlord is not tax compliant, and with a wink and a nudge got reduced rent because of it.

You can still claim the tax credit, just omitting the Landlord's PPSN. Revenue will then be alerted he is not compliant.

The other option is simply not to claim the tax credit, and go along with the tax evasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭FlexBrowne

Lainey_b01 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Had a look at pervious posts but unfortunately can't find answer to my burning question...

Myself and the boyfriend have been renting for a number of years and both signed up a number of years ago for the rent relief tax credit (€1200 * 20% p.a as under 55).

Situation is that we are now moving apartment and the new landlord is not registered with the PRTB. When we raised this with him he dropped the rent down - assuming he doesn't want to declare his rental income so it's the much cheaper option for him to drop our rent and not register. Apart for that bit of illegal behaviour everything else seems to be above board, detail lease, inventory list etc.

We are registered with PRTB with our current landlady. I fear that we may loose our rent relief credit as result of the move to non registered landlord. What is the process followed when we move out of current address - does the landlady communicate the names & PPS numbers of those moving out to PRTB and replace with the new leasee(s)? In that case, does the PRTB then communicate to revenue that we are no longer entitled to rent relief at the old address following which our credit will be removed??

Would be interested to hear if anyone who has had a similar experience to us with no effect on the rent relief credit. Would be great if could get best of both worlds – cheaper rent + rent relief credit :P

I know we can fill out the rent relief form again and supply new landlords details but I don’t want to follow that route and result in aggravated landlord.

Cheers

Roughly what's the rent tax relief worth in the pocket weekly? Haven't been claiming and should...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭relax carry on

FlexBrowne wrote: »
    Lainey_b01 wrote: »
    Hi,

Cheers

Roughly what's the rent tax relief worth in the pocket weekly? Haven't been claiming and should...

Unless you were renting before December 2010 you will be unable to claim the rent tax credit as its being phased out. Currently its worth 240 Euro added to your yearly tax credits.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/credits/rent-credit.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement