Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drilling porcelain tiles

• 10-07-2012 5:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

They're hard as a rock, please advise what bit to use and any other tips. Tiles cost a small fortune, can't afford any slip ups.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Hannibal

Get plenty of drill bits preferably tungsten or diamond and keep them cool because they will overheat, keep even a cup of water or wavin lubricant close by and keep dipping the bit in and be patient becuase they're a lot more difficult to drill through than ceramic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Aldi are selling a 5 pack of till drill bits for 6 euro at the moment.

I used them recently to drill through bathroom tiles to mount some sanitry fixings.

A small dab of water or lube on the bit and steady pressure on the drill,and the drill bit did the job perfectly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Mark the spot first then put 2 strips of masking tape over it making sure that the spot to be drilled is visible through the tape. (Mark the tape if necessary)
    Then, as above, use diamond tip or Glass drill bits and dip in water regularly. Use the highest speed that your drill has.
    The Aldi ones are quite good actually and very reasonable. Used them recently for the exact same job.

BTW, The masking tape is to assist with getting the first 'purchase' into the tile so that the bit doesn't slide all over the place. Any tape will do but masking tape is the best by a long shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭United road

Yes, the masking tape is a must i think.
    Was not aware that Aldi are selling bits at €6 for 5 bits. Paddy you seem pretty experienced, are they really ok for tiles if you are a true DIY kind of guy with no experience!!?
    I have a lot of holes to drill soon and was going to get a diamond tip bit but they are expensive and was told they burn out after about two holes are drilled!! Would you agree?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭meercat

to help the drill bit stay cool and last longer

get an old window spray bottle(or similar) and fill with water

have someone else spray above where you are drilling while holding a sponge below to catch any excess

• Advertisement

Yes, the masking tape is a must i think.
    Was not aware that Aldi are selling bits at €6 for 5 bits. Paddy you seem pretty experienced, are they really ok for tiles if you are a true DIY kind of guy with no experience!!?
    I have a lot of holes to drill soon and was going to get a diamond tip bit but they are expensive and was told they burn out after about two holes are drilled!! Would you agree?

They worked fine for me.:D

Small bit of spray lube on the tips as you drill,and you will be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭meercat

paddy147 wrote: »
    They worked fine for me.:D

Small bit of spray lube on the tips as you drill,and you will be fine.

great price for them

meercat wrote: »
    great price for them

Bought them while I was geting the fish wire kit,600mm and 1000mm long drill bits in Aldi.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 mc gripen

Makes it a bit handier if You mark the spot with a steel nail first. stops the bit sliding all over the plece.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Diamond core drill are the bomb for drilling porcelain tiles. The carbide arrow head shaped ones are a waste of time,even when properly cooled they don't drill as neat and as easily as a diamond core type.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Diamond core drill are the bomb for drilling porcelain tiles. The carbide arrow head shaped ones are a waste of time,even when properly cooled they don't drill as neat and as easily as a diamond core type.

+100........other bits are next to useless compared to the core bits.....drill slowly and keep the bit cool...you'll get 4-6 holes out of a bit if youre careful..dont lean too heavy on the drill or the bit will twist and break..start at an angle to let the bit bite...get a wet cloth/small sponge and hold against the bit as you go..stop a few times and clean/cool the bit...

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭cram1971

Probably going to get slated for this but if the tile is well bedded in adhesive (knock on it and check there is know hollow sound) and the hole isn't within 50mm of the edge I use and and SDS drill going very slowly and it goes through like butter I have drilled 1000's of holes over the years and only broken 1 tile but it does take a lot of practice.

If you are to nervous doing it the diamond core is the best alternative by far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,044 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

cram1971 wrote: »
    Probably going to get slated for this but if the tile is well bedded in adhesive (knock on it and check there is know hollow sound) and the hole isn't within 50mm of the edge I use and and SDS drill going very slowly and it goes through like butter I have drilled 1000's of holes over the years and only broken 1 tile but it does take a lot of practice.

If you are to nervous doing it the diamond core is the best alternative by far.
    SDS......on tiles:eek::eek::eek: WTF !

dodzy wrote: »
    SDS......on tiles:eek::eek::eek: WTF !

Know need to WTF have you ever tried it ...

Here is a project I did a couple of months ago at me own house.

I wanted to teach myself to TIG weld so I installed a Glass and stainless steel handrail.

Each post is fixed using 4 stainless steel treaded bars chemicaly bonded. I drilled 3 out of the 4 holes using a 10mm SDS bit and the hole closest to the edge with a diamond core bit.
    picture.php?albumid=2184&pictureid=13404

Well I certainly wouldnt use an SDS drill bit on a porcelin tile.

PS-Those outdoor slate looking tiles that you drilled with an SDS bit look at least 40mm thick,which is alot different to a porcelin tile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,044 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

cram1971 wrote: »
    Know need to WTF have you ever tried it ...

Here is a project I did a couple of months ago at me own house.

I wanted to teach myself to TIG weld so I installed a Glass and stainless steel handrail.

Each post is fixed using 4 stainless steel treaded bars chemicaly bonded. I drilled 3 out of the 4 holes using a 10mm SDS bit and the hole closest to the edge with a diamond core bit.
    picture.php?albumid=2184&pictureid=13404

Fair play to ya. Its a lovely job, but as Paddy has pointed out, they're a far cry from porcelain ;)

I know my tiles I was actually in this factory in Spain. Its a porceline tile made to look like slate. That is why I used it less maintenance.

Here is a close up where I knocked off one one of the bullnoses and nothing seems to hold it on!

picture.php?albumid=2184&pictureid=13406

Thanks for the compliment needs a bit of tiding up still tho!

Advertisement