Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tom Caxtons Dark Ale..... whats happening?

Options
  • 10-07-2012 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭

Hi All
    Juat started brewing again after a long absence.
    Popped into the guys at HomeBrewWest who were as always super helpful.
    Was recommended a Tom Caxtons Dark Ale.
    So followed the steps, everything by the book cept for spraymalt instead of sugar.
    I'll let this table explain the problem

Date 28th June 2012

Starting SG 1.042
    2nd July 1.022
    4th July 1.02
    6th July 1.02
    10th July 1.02

It's still bubbling but there seems to be no reduction in the SG.
    As it is the alc % would only be 2.9%
    Is there something wrong.
    The fermenter is kept in a room where it's a static 18deg
    The instructions for the kit recommended a max of 6 days in but its been in twice than now.
    Kinda confused
    Any help would be greatly appriciated guys

Cheers

HB

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

First thing: don't worry.

Looks like a stuck fermentation. Your best bet at this stage is to sanitise a paddle and gently stir up the yeast from the bottom of the bucket without splashing the wort.

And then leave it four or five days before taking the next reading.

Pitching more yeast is the next option, but I'd give it a couple of weeks to sort itself out before resorting to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭hamsterboy

Cheers, will give it a go.......

HB

BeerNut wrote: »
    First thing: don't worry.

Looks like a stuck fermentation. Your best bet at this stage is to sanitise a paddle and gently stir up the yeast from the bottom of the bucket without splashing the wort.

And then leave it four or five days before taking the next reading.

Pitching more yeast is the next option, but I'd give it a couple of weeks to sort itself out before resorting to that.

Well gave it a stir on the 10th and checked it today, still the same S.G.
    More yeast?

HB

I'd give it another week.

Will Do

Cheers

HB

• Advertisement

Ok so I think this is officially stuck
    Checked it today (25/07)...... still hasn't moved

More yeast then?

HB

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭TOOYOUNGTODIE

Try some yeast, what temp is it at.

I have tried to ferment ales at too low a temp and they become very inactive.

It should do no harm to add more yeast.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

Your best bet at this stage is to sanitise a paddle and gently stir up the yeast from the bottom of the bucket without splashing the wort.
    If this is a good idea for stuck fermentations is it not a good idea to do it as a matter of course mid way through primary fermentation? To maximise the effectiveness of the yeast (or something like that)?

Nope. The best thing to do if everything's OK is to leave it all alone. There's nothing to gain to set against the splash risk and infection risk.

Ok so left it so and went to Prague for a weeks beer hunting
    Came back and tested it yesterday... 1.018
    Slight improvement but not much
    Leave it a while longer?

HB

• Advertisement

I think I'd cut my losses and just bottle at this stage.

Am tempted to bottle but yesterday I gave it another stir with a sanitised spoon and its bubbling away here. I'll give it another week and will bottle if hydrometer readings show no change
    Lucky I'm a patient man, Trappist Monks brew faster than this :)

Cheers

HB

did you try more yeast in the end?

Gonna pitch some in later on today..... refusing to give up on this batch!

HB

p.s. If it works out I shall name the brew Tom Caxtons Extra Extra Mature Dark Ale.....

This thread is so dramatic, the highs and lows of homebrewing. Will he be able to keep faith in his brew or will he just pull the plug. I'm just so excited to see how it ends up!

Join us for our next exciting episode later tonight when HB pitches more yeast in a last ditch attempt to save his beloved brew.

BTW pitching more yeast, sprinkle on top and leave or sprinkle and stir gently....?????

HB

Well I haven't pitched the yeast yet (forget to get some) but this morning I checked the batch again, and it's at 1.012 so now.....

Starting SG 1.042
    2nd July 1.022
    4th July 1.02
    6th July 1.02
    13th Aug 1.018
    16th Aug 1.012

As it stands its looking at Actual ABV% of 3.94

Tempted to bottle the damn thing the weekend....thoughts???

HB

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

hamsterboy wrote: »
    BTW pitching more yeast, sprinkle on top and leave or sprinkle and stir gently....?????

I think you're just supposed to leave it on top. Hope it all works out for you. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Well I haven't pitched the yeast yet (forget to get some) but this morning I checked the batch again, and it's at 1.012 so now.....

Starting SG 1.042
    2nd July 1.022
    4th July 1.02
    6th July 1.02
    13th Aug 1.018
    16th Aug 1.012

As it stands its looking at Actual ABV% of 3.94

Tempted to bottle the damn thing the weekend....thoughts???

HB
    Well, if it's fermenting again, best to try again in a couple of days and make sure you're getting the same reading. You don't want to bottle while it's still fermenting. Sounds like it has resurrected itself from the dead. Can't wait for the sequel!

Well pitched some more yeast into the batch
    Will check again in a few days and hopefully I'll be able to finally bottle this fcuker.
    Quick question. Got a load of Coopers OxBar bottles on adverts.ie. Never used em before. Anyone know the handiest way to wash/sterilize em?

Cheers

HB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭lang

Well pitched some more yeast into the batch
    Will check again in a few days and hopefully I'll be able to finally bottle this fcuker.
    Quick question. Got a load of Coopers OxBar bottles on adverts.ie. Never used em before. Anyone know the handiest way to wash/sterilize em?

Cheers

HB

If you have a spare fermenter you could always make up a batch of bleach/vinegar no-rinse sanitiser. I give them a quick rinse or wash with a baby's bottle washer and then soak them in the fermenter for about 2-3 mins. I have one of those drainers so I just left them drain overnight. I make sure to sanitise the lids also.

If the box the Bottles came is still sealed in original way then there is no need to sanitise them, unless you want to be ultra safe.

lang wrote: »
    If the box the Bottles came is still sealed in original way then there is no need to sanitise them
    I'd still sanitise them. And new ones often have bits of cardboard in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭lang

I'd still sanitise them. And new ones often have bits of cardboard in them.

Yeah, I can see why people would sanitise them if they have been in the boxes. I had no trouble with my first brew at all when I bottled it using OxBar bottles straight from the box. Think it's a matter of prefernece really. If you are wanting to be extra, extra safe then by all means sanitise away. I'm just a lil lazy!! :D

Advertisement