Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

AirPlay like Setup

• 10-07-2012 5:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 410 ✭✭

Hi All, first, mods move if you think necessary

So, my question

I have two old stereos in my house, i have a TV with a WD TV Live (version 2). I have my samsung galaxy s2, my wife has an iphone 4.

I have a 300N wireless network with my house completely covered

I am running windows 7 with various network shares on it, and happily watch stuff from my pc on the tv, and listen to music on it too.

I am going to get a Synology DS212j and move all my music, movies and TV Shows over to it.

What i want to be able to is hook up some devices to my stereos through their aux ports that will wirelessly connect to the Synology box and stream music to them. I want to be able to control these from either phone.

If someone can tell me "Airport Express is the only route for you", grand, but if there is an alternative please enlighten me!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Drazhar wrote: »
    Hi All, first, mods move if you think necessary

So, my question

I have two old stereos in my house, i have a TV with a WD TV Live (version 2). I have my samsung galaxy s2, my wife has an iphone 4.

I have a 300N wireless network with my house completely covered

I am running windows 7 with various network shares on it, and happily watch stuff from my pc on the tv, and listen to music on it too.

I am going to get a Synology DS212j and move all my music, movies and TV Shows over to it.

What i want to be able to is hook up some devices to my stereos through their aux ports that will wirelessly connect to the Synology box and stream music to them. I want to be able to control these from either phone.

If someone can tell me "Airport Express is the only route for you", grand, but if there is an alternative please enlighten me!!

It does seem like Airplay is the cheapest option to go for. The only think I would do is make sure you can control it with an Android phone since Apple are notorious for locking down their systems like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭akaSol

http://www.doubletwist.com/
    http://www.twonky.com/products/twonkymobile/

Works as a streamer from Android to DNLA clients ( XBOX , WDTV LIVE , Apple TV etc )
    Twonky is dual developed , it can also "beam" videos to a video device but more temperamental than double twist.

>Sol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 410 ✭✭Drazhar

very close. Im not trying to stream from my android. What im trying to find is a device that will stream from my NAS through my stereo connected to the stereo's AUX or RCA or whatever and i can control it through my phone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭akaSol

akaSol wrote: »
    DNLA clients ( XBOX , WDTV LIVE , Apple TV etc )
    very close. Im not trying to stream from my android. What im trying to find is a device that will stream from my NAS through my stereo connected to the stereo's AUX or RCA or whatever and i can control it through my phone

Does not a WTV2 have an 3.5mm ~ analogue out?
    There is a also an "app" in both markets for control so need to have a screen in use.

>Sol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I use a netbook, Winamp and this Winamp Android app

• Advertisement

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    I use a netbook, Winamp and this Winamp Android app

A netbook costs more than an Airport Express though. Also, WD Live and Apple TV both need screens to function properly afaik. OP wants to get the music off his network drive not off his Android phone (which can't hold nearly as much music).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

C14N wrote: »
    A netbook costs more than an Airport Express though. Also, WD Live and Apple TV both need screens to function properly afaik. OP wants to get the music off his network drive not off his Android phone (which can't hold nearly as much music).

Eh, Who said anything about streaming from the Android phone? Winamp on the netbook will connect to network drives, the Android app just gives an interface to control it. The netbook could be any old POS laptop lying around, as long as it runs, it doesn't need a modern OS and doesn't need to be visible. You could even set it not to go to standby when the lid is closed and hide it away and just use the interface on the Android app.

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Eh, Who said anything about streaming from the Android phone? Winamp on the netbook will connect to network drives, the Android app just gives an interface to control it. The netbook could be any old POS laptop lying around, as long as it runs, it doesn't need a modern OS and doesn't need to be visible. You could even set it not to go to standby when the lid is closed and hide it away and just use the interface on the Android app.

I was referring to the previous poster about the Android phone, sorry for bundling that all in together.

Hey guys, cheers for the varied replies

The netbook idea is what i have done in the past, but ive seen someone with the old airport-express and i wants it. Its so neat and tidy. Literally all i would need is a 3.5mm to AUX input, and a power socket. Id then be subjected to using an iphone!

Its crazy, i have the same thread going on a few boards and while it seems to be something simple in my head, no one seems to have a simple answer but Apple! And i feckin hate Apple!! :)

All i want is NAS -> $device -> Stereo with control from Android and iPhone app

:)

Im giving serious thought to just getting a wifi stereo! :)

• Advertisement

Hey guys, cheers for the varied replies

The netbook idea is what i have done in the past, but ive seen someone with the old airport-express and i wants it. Its so neat and tidy. Literally all i would need is a 3.5mm to AUX input, and a power socket. Id then be subjected to using an iphone!

Its crazy, i have the same thread going on a few boards and while it seems to be something simple in my head, no one seems to have a simple answer but Apple! And i feckin hate Apple!! :)

All i want is NAS -> $device -> Stereo with control from Android and iPhone app

:)

Im giving serious thought to just getting a wifi stereo! :)

There are other solutions such as Sonos which are just as simple but Sonos is a good bit more expensive. The Revo will have the advantage of streaming internet radio (not sure Airport does this) but you might not get to control it with an app, instead relying on the little monochrome screen.

Advertisement