Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom capping NGB Broadband

• 10-07-2012 6:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭

so im with UTV currently on NGB option 3 speeds upto 24mb, i was previously on Clicksilver 8mb, i upgraded to NGB mainly as it was cheaper and thought hey great ill get a few extra mb, im 1km from exchange and on clicksilver had exactly 8016mb sync at the router, i now have 7616, i work for a telecomms company so put my tester on the line and seen that my router had synced at 23016 occasionaly but dropped 1 minute later, rang UTV and basically eircom have set the profile for NGB at 8mb and adsl at 12mb, why are they capping the NGB if i was with eircom would i get the 23mb, im in monaghan town if it makes any difference

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17 snr3

Well i need to say with 1km from exchange ur sayn ur getting 23k? I hardly believe in that, im only 300m of it and getting like 20 out of 24 in sync.
    I would say they capped it on purpose so u get more stable connection, they always do capping i had same situation they capped me on 14 cos what they say they feel thats all i can get on it without any connection drops etc, I asked to remove a cap and they did, just warning me i might have problems. I need to admit connection do drop like once per 2-3 days but to be honest i dont mind. Call those fagots...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭deaglan169

they said eircom has set the profiles and the max they can offer is 8mb and cant change the profile, so they cant even try me on say 15mb, but its not NGB its still ADSL not ADSL2, i was with them on the old package was rock solid wanted to save a few quid and its been very poor as i speak im on 756kb in an hour it may rise to 4mb its all over the place, the old package was rock solid day or night, the tester i have see's right to the DSLAM but not much i can do unfortunately and im on a new 12 month contract

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17 snr3

Well im not an expert but since u were advertised as this option was "up to" 24mb and they are sayn thay are not able to provide anything above 8mb and your line is capable of 20mb for me it seems like a false advert and a good point to break a contract without any fines... Am i wrong?
    Its like a change in a contract they wanna made - was up to 24 - is up to 8.
    So u should have 30 days to opt out if ur not happy with it.
    Its like u should not be concern about their problems, meybe its not their fault they are not able to provide it but stll they shouldnt have advertise it as up to 24.

Advertisement