Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

British Open 2012

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

You sound like an ass, no matter what conspires Sunday afternoon.

I can't disagree with ya there. I just get very opinionated about the golf. Bring it on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,251 ✭✭✭Juwwi

You sound like an ass, no matter what conspires Sunday afternoon.

I taught he made a lot of sense to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭chickendinner

robbie1977 wrote: »
    I taught he made a lot of sense to be honest.

I am not judging his opinion, just his crass way of dismissing other peoples bets, as you can see from my statement.

Robert Karlsson has withdrawn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

Degag wrote: »
    Looking at a few different golfers trying to keep my 100% major run this year! Taking prices from PP.

Mickelson. Had a lot on him last year when he made a big run on the final day. He's 33/1 because he doesn't have a great record in the Open but i think it's a very good price and could see it drifting even further.

Schwartzel. Has a decent record at the Open over the last few years and I think 50/1 is a pretty good price here.

Fisher. Coming back to decent form recently. Think he has a shot here.

Daly. Playing well recently and of course no stranger to links courses. Worth a punt for the 150/1 price

Duval. 500/1. Not a really serious bet but he wasn't either a few years back when he nearly won the US Open at the same price. Won here before.

Will probably pick another one or two closer to the time.

Sigh, So much value to be had. I've picked too many golfers but gauranteed a very good return should any win as most are small stakes/long odds. My main bets are Mickelson and Schwatzel above along with:

Dufner. Whenever he's played recently, he seems to be in the mix. Won twice this year and unlucky not to win another one or two.

Laird. I think 100/1 is rather big here for a player who's playing pretty well this year and plenty of top pro's have spoken very highly of him. Poor record at the Open though.

Small bets on the following

Bradley. 125/1 is too good a price for a player who won a major less than a year ago even if i doubt he can really win here.

Lehman. Heard a tip on the radio during the week. Not much more to go on than that although i think he palyed well on the Senior US Open at the weekend.

Curtis. Former open winner and a generally good record, winner on tour this year, good putter. Has a shout.

Love. Just caught my eye.

Clark. Tim that is. A player i used to back pretty often before his injury. Seems to be coming back to decent form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I'm simply amazed to see so many of you picking Rickie Fowler. I can't see him winning this tournament...ever.

And then, to compound my amazement...nobody is picking Rory MclIroy, at 25-1.

25-1!!!!

That's simply a mad price. He's been a little off the boil recently but he's still been in pretty good form this year, better form than just about every player that has been mentioned on this thread. He's a great links player, won one of the practise rounds this week (has been playing the course a lot recently) and was probably about 7-1 to win this tournament a few weeks ago. I'm sorry to sound smug, or patronising...but 25-1 on Rory should be your bet, instead of fannying around with players like Branden Grace or Dustin Johnson.

Ok, I sound like an ass up there...but I don't think that's how I'll look come sunday afternoon.

lol. Oh look at you oh great one.

Keep it up though.

Ah it's just a bit of banter. I love someone being cock sure about selections.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Ah it's just a bit of banter. I love someone being cock sure about selections.

Fair enough. I wish you the best. Rory price is decent, but at end of day its about personal preference and sure I have had the odd big winner in major before, posted in here;)

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭breffni bogballer

e10 ew on f molinari@40s; e5 ew dufner,dyson and curtis. Best of luck all and happy punting

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 482 ✭✭Mont

250 e/w Rock 200-1 Coral

• Registered Users Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭Hoki

I've added Jacquelin to my mammoth list, has good Open form and has been playing really well the last few weeks, 125/1 is a very good price for him imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Ormus wrote: »
    Stricker - Steady player, great putter, due a major, played well in the John Deere this week - 66/1.

Singh - Coming off a win on links, streaky player who is on a streak - 150/1.

Potter - Would be a big surprise if he won it but stranger things have happened. Won the Greenbrier last week and played well this week so high on confidence - 400/1.

I chickened out on Potter and went for Zach Johnson instead at 66/1.

That means Potter is now a shoo in. You heard it here first.

Robert Karlsson has withdrawn.
    He's pulled out because of form apparently. I'm not sure if i've ever heard of a golfer do that. Especially in the (second) biggest tournament in golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭rehssu

Going with

Westwood @ 18/1
    Garcia @ 33/1
    Curtis @ 90/1
    Khan @ 500/1

All e/w and Khan e/w for R1 leader too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 446 ✭✭evillive

had a few interest bets e/w on Rose, Garcia and Molinari

bit JM Singh at 150/1 is a massive price imo and thats my main bet
    played well in the Irish Open, and winning last week, he's overpriced

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

-Ade- wrote: »
    Harrington @ 22/1 (B365) and Colsaerts @ 80/1 (Boyles)

I'll probably place my other two bets later on. Leaning towards Garcia as one of my two.
    -Ade- wrote: »
    Sergio Garcia @ 40/1 (Ladbrokes)

Added two more..

Simon Dyson @ 100/1 and Davis Love III @ 150/1 (Ladbrokes)

Couldn't leave Davis out, though I don't usually include him in my Open bets in the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

I've backed 4, all e/w with 6 places
    Louis Oosthuizen (my main pick). He's smart around the course, he doesn't shy from the majors. Took me a while to warm to him, even after his Open win, but I'm really confident that 45/1 is too good a price to turn down (regret pending).

Jason Dufner - 45/1. Alright, he doesn't have a great links record, but I just like how nothing seems to get under his skin. He just "waggles" around the course doing his own thing. He's featured prominently in a lot of tournaments this year already.

Nicholas Colsearts - 70/1. He might struggle at the accuracy end, being a bomber of the ball, but I've really enjoyed watching him play this season so threw him in.

Thorbjorn Olesen - 175/1. Another I've enjoyed watching this season. A long way to go before he's competing seriously in these tournaments, but when I saw 175 vs the 125/150's elsewhere I had to have a nibble. Plus, his golfing attire is top class - Rickie take note!

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Cartel Mike

P. Hanson €10 e/w 125/1 (only 6 places)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,185 ✭✭✭tinodz

Never bet on Golf in my life, but my friend just asked me to put €10 EW on Singh on my way into work today - apparently the local bookie opens at 8AM (I never knew this either :/)

Cannot bring myself to bet on golf myself though - seems like there are far too many variables.

Nice to see Singh mentioned in this thread a few times - thought my mate was crazy.

Never bet on Golf in my life, but my friend just asked me to put €10 EW on Singh on my way into work today - apparently the local bookie opens at 8AM (I never knew this either :/)

Cannot bring myself to bet on golf myself though - seems like there are far too many variables.

Nice to see Singh mentioned in this thread a few times - thought my mate was crazy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭fatherbuzcagney

(€) Avg. odds
    matched Date
    matched

Group B / The Open Championship 2012 / Winner
    Sergio Garcia Back 20996006025 18-Jul-12
    23:07 42 3.27 42 18-Jul-12 23:07

Andres Romero Back 20995981187 18-Jul-12
    23:05 240 2.00 240 18-Jul-12 23:05

Angel Cabrera Back 20995955656 18-Jul-12
    23:03 490 2.00 491.15 18-Jul-12 23:03

K.J. Choi Back 20995948356 18-Jul-12
    23:02 190 2.00 190 18-Jul-12 23:02

Louis Oosthuizen Back 20995942105 18-Jul-12
    23:01 50 2.50 50 18-Jul-12 23:01

Graeme McDowell Back 20995937047 18-Jul-12
    23:01 34 3.00 34 18-Jul-12 23:01

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 475 ✭✭potsy11

Does anyone have a link so I can watch it in work?

I learned this morning that they are two Singh's playing golf. :/

I bet on JM (let's hope I picked the right one)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭jjll

her comes the silly season prices on tiger now he is 2 under was 6s when 1 under if he finishes 3 or 4 under he will be 5/2 or lessend of round

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭BigFatGiant

jjll wrote: »
    her comes the silly season prices on tiger now he is 2 under was 6s when 1 under if he finishes 3 or 4 under he will be 5/2 or lessend of round

Tiger now 5/2 after just 7 holes! He is playing super stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Dr.Silly

don't think harrington backers will be happy with that amateur rubbish he's just pulled off. !! Ridiculous price IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

Dr.Silly wrote: »
    don't think harrington backers will be happy with that amateur rubbish he's just pulled off. !! Ridiculous price IMO

One shot?? Followed by a great bunker shot. Little bit early in the day...

Mont wrote: »
    250 e/w Rock 200-1 Coral
    Hope there's a decimal point in there somewhere!

SnowDrifts wrote: »
    One shot?? Followed by a great bunker shot. Little bit early in the day...

I don't think so

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭risteard7

Do you still get paid out on a winner if it goes to a play off?

or is it like soccer 90 mins only?

• Advertisement

risteard7 wrote: »

Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Oscars Well.

risteard7 wrote: »

Ye you'll get paid out on the winner of the playoff

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Jaysus, turned on the tv to see Colsaerts make a balls of it by triple bogeying the par 5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

I love you Sned! Great stuff from the ginger genius this morning. Keep it up buddy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

Whats the cut? +1?

The cut appears to be +3 (Which means we lose +4 and bigger)

Westwood, Keegan Bradley & Rickie Fowler are 3 of the bigger names to scrape through on +3.
    At the halfway stage I can see it ending in a battle between Scott & Woods- seeing as I've backed neither I'd like to see Scott win a major, don't think Snedeker will last the pace though he is playing super stuff. Looks like G-Mac is my best shot of making a few quid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭jjll

snedeker never made acut before this in open cos of wind he is brutal in wind expect him fall away scott will be ther near end as he member of royal melbourne which is links course and more severe than most these courses

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

Just put 20 ew bet on Olesen. PP have him at 28/1 and he finished up today -5.

Worth a punt I think and I have potential returns of €712...

Fingers crossed!

• Advertisement

I don't have any money invested but for some reason I can just see Mat "Smiles too fcuking much" Kuchar stealing this open from everyone's noses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

wprathead wrote: »
    Top 20:
    Thongchai 5/1
    Milkha Singh 5/1

I'm confident atleast one of them will finish Top20- both like links

Top European (Excluding GB&I)
    Bjorn @ 14/1

Good luck lads:)

Right half way stage- time to evaluate
    All 3 bets have a chance of coming good, particularly the two Top20 bets (Milka Singh gone from original price of 7/2 on Betfair to currently 8/5)

Bjorn gonna have to pull finger out and hopfully Olesen falls away for his to come in, but stranger things have happened

Good luck lads, hopfully we give these bookies a lashing:cool:

I've backed 4, all e/w with 6 places
    Louis Oosthuizen (my main pick). He's smart around the course, he doesn't shy from the majors. Took me a while to warm to him, even after his Open win, but I'm really confident that 45/1 is too good a price to turn down (regret pending).

Jason Dufner - 45/1. Alright, he doesn't have a great links record, but I just like how nothing seems to get under his skin. He just "waggles" around the course doing his own thing. He's featured prominently in a lot of tournaments this year already.

Nicholas Colsearts - 70/1. He might struggle at the accuracy end, being a bomber of the ball, but I've really enjoyed watching him play this season so threw him in.

Thorbjorn Olesen - 175/1. Another I've enjoyed watching this season. A long way to go before he's competing seriously in these tournaments, but when I saw 175 vs the 125/150's elsewhere I had to have a nibble. Plus, his golfing attire is top class - Rickie take note!

I've two left with Place Potential. Really impressed with Olesen, and can't wait to see how he performs in the most watched 2-ball today. It will be a totally new experience for him

I expect Dufner to card two more good scores. Had a topsy turvy Saturday but then on Friday when most golfers struggled (bar a few expections), he puts in 4under.

I was grinning ear to ear after Colsaerts first round, but geez did he have it bad yesterday.

I know Sned is a known bottler, but I'd hardly rule him out. As mentioned by someone else, Kuchar is playing pretty well, and I reckon he'll sneak up the leaderboard a bit more today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Pighead wrote: »
    I love you Sned! Great stuff from the ginger genius this morning. Keep it up buddy.
    Ginger gargoyle. You're dead to me now Brandt.

Ginger Gagroyle! Brilliant!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭madma

not a golfing fan but i had zach johnson backed to win. how much left to play is he still in with a shout or is it game over?

• Advertisement

A wise man once told me Sunday is the all important day in golf. The same man said that Snedeker has only ever won a tournament when he has been 4-7 shots off the lead. Brandt knows what he's doing. Christopher nolan directed this Open and the hero, is ginger.

bec4787e.jpg

4/6 worth lumping on for Scott? Playing flawlessly so far & cant see anyone catching him tbh.

Hoki wrote: »
    4/6 worth lumping on for Scott? Playing flawlessly so far & cant see anyone catching him tbh.

4/6 is an absolutely brilliant price. Jump on it IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭FANTAPANTS

Just had a sneeky bet on the "BIG MAN" Ernie Els at 22/1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Haven't had a bet this year on the Open and looking at the odds and leaderboard its hard to get excited about placing a bet. Might just throw a tenner on GMac

• Advertisement
Advertisement