Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving out

Options
  • 10-07-2012 7:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭

Il be moving out of a shared house in a few weeks. We all have bills in our name. In my case its ESB.

What do others do in house shares when moving cancelling bills.

When I moved in, the ESB was cancelled two weeks before I moved in. Their bill was dated two weeks before I moved in, so it must have been cancelled at the same time.

The esb is due again soon enough. Do I cancell it and make it my last bill like the person who moved out?

I rang esb and asked them. And I just take a meter reading on my last day and they'll send me the bill. But how do I get payment from the others on the last day. Was thinking about doing it a few days before and get payment from each housemate. But how do I take a reading? Its the white box at the side of the house. But you need some kind of key to open it which I dont have.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

The keys can be bought in any hardware store.

As for the bill if you are getting a final bill - what happens the account for the house?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

The keys can be bought in any hardware store.

As for the bill if you are getting a final bill - what happens the account for the house?

Thanks for letting me know about the keys. I didn't know you can buy them.

Someone else takes it over. Thats what esb said anyway, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Talk to your housemates to see if any of them are going to take over the account, then ring back the ESB and ask them do you need to get a final bill in your name, or can you could just transfer the account over to another housemate.
    Either way, regardless of whether you get the final bill or they get the next one as it falls due - organise to get in touch with them about it. I'm sure there will be other bills to be sorted if they are distributed between the housemates and they will be anxious to get your share.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

Thanks for letting me know about the keys. I didn't know you can buy them.

Someone else takes it over. Thats what esb said anyway, I think.

Might be too late now but I think the utility companies will send you a meter key FoC.

SSE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭EI: Una

Hi HardLuckWoman,

We do indeed send out a meter key if requested.

Regards,
    Una

• Advertisement
Advertisement