Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dromahair

Options
  • 10-07-2012 7:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

is Dromahair a good place to live? whats there to do in Leitrim? thanks for any input. im coming from Canada, thinking of settling down with a local lass. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Guys, you will not believe this.

I was just watching the Dave Matthews Band dvd live in Brixton Academy, and the bass player Stefan Lessard is wearing a Dromahair tshirt.

It's like a shot of the road sign

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpp6UPFiAZg&feature=related

You see it at 2:41 but some other shots too.

I am intrigued. Anyone got any clues? Could be something to look into as Dave Matthews band are huge in the states. I'm from Limerick btw......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭i_am_joey

nice link to start my day! thanks!

yeah, really curious as to why he is wearing it.

i tried searching for it and all i got was a comment from youtube about his dromahair shirt :D maybe thats you!

he's american and i guess so is his wife.
    maybe he got it from a fan :d

yup, that was me commenting.... :/

• Advertisement

thought so...well we got to ask the bass player directly now... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Dromahair is an absolutely lovely place to live. I moved here about 6 years ago and I absolutely love it. There is a really good community spirit and lots of interesting people.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 da mo

eskimocat wrote: »
    Dromahair is an absolutely lovely place to live. I moved here about 6 years ago and I absolutely love it. There is a really good community spirit and lots of interesting people.
    I can second that with 5 years behind me here. As someone pointed out in another thread, there should be more children's facilities. And it's a village, so no luck of staying incognito, would you want to. But if you'd want to get active in a lively community, it's a wonderful place!
    Lovely scenery too. A 25 minute drive could take you to many lakes, forest areas, hills, the beach, archeological sites, waterfalls, etc

thanks for the feedback, they seem all positive. planning to visit soon and see for myself.

by the way, how is the weather throughout the year?
    what are the coldest and the warmest tempertures?

Hmmmm, we avoid talking about the weather here, haha
    no in truth it's the start of many a conversation.
    Rain at the moment, typical
    4 seasons in one day is also quite typical here, both rain and blue patches never far off. Plenty of rainbows and lovely cloud formations so (check TICAS: the irish cloud appreciation society, if you're a sky watcher)
    But mostly: damp! it's a sea climate to the max, very little extremes (mostly 0-20 degrees celcius over the year, don't ask me fahrenheit). But I found the winters colder than in Holland, where it might get -10C, just because of the damp here. After about 2 years I got used to it. Sort of...

• Advertisement

da mo wrote: »
    Hmmmm, we avoid talking about the weather here, haha
    no in truth it's the start of many a conversation.
    Rain at the moment, typical
    4 seasons in one day is also quite typical here, both rain and blue patches never far off. Plenty of rainbows and lovely cloud formations so (check TICAS: the irish cloud appreciation society, if you're a sky watcher)
    But mostly: damp! it's a sea climate to the max, very little extremes (mostly 0-20 degrees celcius over the year, don't ask me fahrenheit). But I found the winters colder than in Holland, where it might get -10C, just because of the damp here. After about 2 years I got used to it. Sort of...

thanks for the insight, it really gave me an idea on how it is.
    i knew about the rain and being damp and cloudy at times, which i guess im okay with.
    the winters of minus 10C? i actually wear a tshirt here for that temp and shorts to wash the car on the driveway :D
    i wont be having problems with that compared to the winters here in toronto where a bad snowstorm can leave you with more than a foot of snow and extreme cold of -20C and colder. i wont mind missing my snowblower if i live in dromahair :D

ive been looking at google maps in the area and see some houses with big lots. but ive heard that a lot have been vacant.

-10 was for Holland, where I used to live. Here in Ireland -10 is extreme. 2 weeks of frost is considered extreme. Pipes bursting, not enough spraying salt for the roads, mayhem at the airports, etc ;) You'll be laughing here.

Houses, yeah, there's a funny bit of recent history here. Too many houses built, and never occupied. And people unwilling to drop the price, as they're stuck to a mortgage themselves. Seems like prices are dropping now though. Are you planning on buying? (Go on, say yes, you'll make someone here very happy!)
    A lot of houses have been built too quick though, make sure you get a good inspection, energy rating and all that.

-10 was for Holland, where I used to live. Here in Ireland -10 is extreme. 2 weeks of frost is considered extreme. Pipes bursting, not enough spraying salt for the roads, mayhem at the airports, etc ;) You'll be laughing here.

Houses, yeah, there's a funny bit of recent history here. Too many houses built, and never occupied. And people unwilling to drop the price, as they're stuck to a mortgage themselves. Seems like prices are dropping now though. Are you planning on buying? (Go on, say yes, you'll make someone here very happy!)
    A lot of houses have been built too quick though, make sure you get a good inspection, energy rating and all that.

heard the same bit when it snowed in vancouver where the white stuff is not common. they suspended all flights for less than 5 cm of snow on the runway :D
    its too bad about the houses though. i would want to live there though since im from a small town as well.
    by the way, is it a diverse community?
    how is the crime rate though?

i_am_joey wrote: »
    by the way, is it a diverse community?
    how is the crime rate though?

As to crime rate, in my opinion here things are relaxed as anything, but I do not follow the news on these things. I just hear of the odd case of joyriding, and of things that basically happen everywhere. I find crime rates low here, that's my perception. But then, population is low compared to Holland as well.

Diversity. Let's say there's people of all walks of life here. The combined expertise, interests and input of the people of this community is fantastic.
    As for the most of rural Ireland, there's a very thin population in 'twentiers'. After finishing school/studies, many leave for the city or abroad for better opportunities. But a good few are also coming back here to settle once they've started a family. So all in all young families up to elderly, a bit of a gap for 20ers and perhaps 30ers.
    As for nationalities, not a huge diversity here (again measured to dutch standards!) Beside the Irish there's Polish, Lithuanian, a few Germans and Dutch, quickly getting into the small percentages. And probably a LOT of Irish that have lived abroad for any period of time and came back, perhaps bringing someone with them like yourself :) I'd say it would only take a visit to the 3 or 4 pubs we have in Dromahair to find out if there's any Canadians in the greater area here. There must be.

seems like an exciting adventure for myself to settle there.
    the girlfriend would be the one to decide in the end anyway :D

i asked for diversity because im a product of mixed backgrounds (brit, american/spanish/filipino) and from where i am now, its not really a big deal.

I think there's a good few filipino's in Sligo here (the town where we do most of our shopping etc., 25 minute drive). I've seen a few spanish around but not too many. Americans and brits, yes.
    My motto is the more the merrier when it comes to diversity. For the locals here you'll always be a 'blow-in', whether you've been here 7 weeks or 70 years.
    Dromahair is very abundant in 'blow-ins' ;)

I think there's a good few filipino's in Sligo here (the town where we do most of our shopping etc., 25 minute drive). I've seen a few spanish around but not too many. Americans and brits, yes.
    My motto is the more the merrier when it comes to diversity. For the locals here you'll always be a 'blow-in', whether you've been here 7 weeks or 70 years.
    Dromahair is very abundant in 'blow-ins' ;)

i like that, blow-ins :D
    i dont really mind being one, might be one of those who stays there for 70 years!
    i heard about Sligo and the shopping :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

If you check out the signature at the bottom of my post, (you might need to activate signatures in your account) you will find info about the weather in Dromahair in real time... well in my back garden at any rate.

its also on this link...

http://www.dromahair.galwaycityweather.com/

Occasionally the info goes on and off, but that is due to computer problems more than weather problems :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Travy1991

As a native of Dromahair, I'd recommend the place. It's a quiet little village with a population of only about 748. But it's nice and scenic...it has a rich history with old abbeys and castles and some beautiful scenery such as Lough Gill where you can take boat rides out to islands within the lake.

In terms of diversity, it is rural Ireland so don't expect too much there. But we do seem to have quite a few British, German and Eastern European settlers so that's nice.

And if you get bored of quiet living, then you're only a 25 minute drive from Sligo, which is one of Ireland's larger towns and will have people of all different ethnicities living there.

The county of Leitrim gets a bit of a bad rep and some snobbery from other people in Ireland because it's sometimes seen as backwards and completely boring. In some ways that is true but overall, it's greatly exaggerated by people who have never stepped foot in the place. Dromahair is a good place to be anyway as it's a quiet and peaceful rural retreat but isn't too far away from something a little more urban.

the place sounds awesome!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Frisian

Here's a link to our new diary of the village.
    http://dromahairdiary.blogspot.ie/
    For the locals here you'll always be a 'blow-in', whether you've been here 7 weeks or 70 years.
    I'm a blow-in for the last 16 years, and am happy with it. Never experienced any exclusion. On the contrary, it's very easy to live within an active and friendly community.

Btw. Been to Ontario on several occasions, weatherwise I'd always choose the northwest of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 geraintj

Been here for five years as a blow in from Wales. Love the village and the people. It really is a great place to live. You've probably had a look around the internet at Dromahair in general, but in case you missed anything . . . . .

- Have a look at daft.ie if you want to get an idea about places to rent or buy.
    - We have a yearly village festival which you can see lots about here - http://www.dromahairdemonsfestival.ie/
    - There's a Dromahair Diary online that details everything going on in and around the village - http://dromahairdiary.blogspot.ie/ (just saw someone else mentioned that already :)
    - We should hopefully be getting a massive upgrade to the local playing fields soon, adding a playground, outdoor gym equipment, etc. Details here - http://dromahairdiary.blogspot.ie/2012/06/dromahair-arts-recreation-centre-is.html

Hope to see you in one of the Dromahair pubs at some point in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 geraintj

As for things to do in Leitrim, you might be better off looking at Sligo for things to do. Leitrim is a long and narrow county, with most of the (small) population living around Carrick on Shannon which is about 45 minutes south of us.

You can be in Sligo in around 15 minutes, and it has a lot of things going on. Surfing in Strandhill, Tag Rugby during the summer, three golf courses, yearly food and drink festival, cinema, horse riding on the beach, etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭rolo454

I was born in Dromahair, my parents were blow-ins from Dublin and Louth.
    It's a nice village with nice people, a few grocery shops, a few pubs.
    There are many "blow-ins".

It's a very quiet place, with a few small things going on in the village from time to time.
    I myself spend most my time in Sligo as it's only a 15/20 minute drive away.

I love living in the countryside with only the sounds of the animals and the wind around, and also having a big town (Sligo) nearby.

Great spot!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 caitlinoruairc

Hi, if anyone is still able to see this thread/answer, please help me out. I am investigating the possibility of buying a small house with some land near dromahair. I have visited in the past and have made a couple of contacts. Just wondering whether couples without children would be well received in the area? my boyfriend and I are in late thirties/early forties and have not yet been blessed with kids but heres hoping. I have lots of siblings nieces and nephews who would want to visit but wondering if a couple with no kids would find they were at all socially excluded?

thanks for any info about living in dromahair, caitlin

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Travy1991

You wouldn't be excluded for not having children. We live in modern times and people aren't looked down on for not having children. Well the odd narrow-minded person might, same as anywhere else, but you should fit in just fine. :)

Travy1991 wrote: »
    You wouldn't be excluded for not having children. We live in modern times and people aren't looked down on for not having children. Well the odd narrow-minded person might, same as anywhere else, but you should fit in just fine. :)

Thank you so much for replying to my question. Strange to think that in modern times that one might be somewhat excluded (not totally of course!!) for not having children. We did have a strange experience in the English countryside recently (we live in London most of the time but have the use of a holiday home on the welsh/shropshire border). We were told by some folk we thought were nice people that we were not invited to an outside buffet/bbq because it was a 'family event'. Naturally we have steered clear of them since but I found that weird!! Glad to hear that the community in NW Ireland might be more inclusive. :):)

Anyone got any ideas on why property around Dromahair is so amazingly cheap? I cant believe what you can apparently get for under euro 100,000 - just unheard of in the UK, and apparently you have no council tax? Combined with a no-nuclear policy, low population and amazing countryside on a par with Lord of The Rings territory, why isn't everyone moving there? Oh and I understand there's a creative community? I am a wannabe writer...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭mjv2ydratu679c

Anyone got any ideas on why property around Dromahair is so amazingly cheap? I cant believe what you can apparently get for under euro 100,000 - just unheard of in the UK, and apparently you have no council tax? Combined with a no-nuclear policy, low population and amazing countryside on a par with Lord of The Rings territory, why isn't everyone moving there?

Eh fook all jobs might be why

• Advertisement

Eh fook all jobs might be why

Right, got it. I suppose if I am serious about relocating I will have to get an internet based business off the ground..where there's a will there's a way.

Advertisement