Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OUYA: A New Kind of Video Game Console

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

Otacon wrote: »
    3 - I could be wrong but aren't all Ouya games going to be free-to-play?

When they say "free-to-play", it means that at the very least there has to be a trial version of the game available. You'd still have to pay for the full version.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,709 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Goro wrote: »
    Why would anyone want a new console to play a sh!tty old game that can be emulated on any pc for free?
    FF III hasn't been on a home console outside Japan since its Famicom debut.
    Plus, this is the 3D remake, on your TV.

Also, I question your use of "sh!tty".
    Have you even played it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

I don't like the way someone thinks that ****ty= old.... I was playing a great game the other day. Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2, not the ****ty HD version. :P

I have mixed opinions if I want to order this though.My PC can emulate everything that I want and I play with controllers on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭Goro

Corkfeen wrote: »
    I don't like the way someone thinks that ****ty= old.... I was playing a great game the other day. Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2, not the ****ty HD version. :P

I have mixed opinions if I want to order this though.My PC can emulate everything that I want and I play with controllers on it.

Played it. I never said s***ty = old.

my fav games were the old secret of mana, fallout 1 + 2 etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Goro wrote: »
    my fav games were the old secret of mana, fallout 1 + 2 etc.

Your favourite games are all old? You're a timecist!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭McG

xbmc support has sold me on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Peebro

Wow, alot of hate here! But I personally think it's a decent idea, Affordable and entertaining. And you could bring it anywhere pretty damn handy. And it's a great chance for indy game makers to get their games to the bigger screens. And lastly, Who says it'll be completely dependent on the hardware inside? it could easily be prepped for cloud based gaming which completely opens it up to more. I think it should definitely be given a chance. I look forward to it's release and initial reactions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,709 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Peebro wrote: »
    Wow, alot of hate here! But I personally think it's a decent idea, Affordable and entertaining. And you could bring it anywhere pretty damn handy. And it's a great chance for indy game makers to get their games to the bigger screens. And lastly, Who says it'll be completely dependent on the hardware inside? it could easily be prepped for cloud based gaming which completely opens it up to more. I think it should definitely be given a chance. I look forward to it's release and initial reactions.
    It actually IS being prepped for cloud gaming; OnLive have announced they'll be in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

McG wrote: »
    xbmc support has sold me on it.

Yeah, even if its a sh#t console if it does xbmc well id be happy :)

Its available for pre order now..

$119 delivered with one controller

http://www.ouya.tv/buyouya/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Steve O

Just seen this on the Game.co.uk site available for pre-order. I love the look of the arcade games, reminds me of the dreamcast and megadrive games of old.

Anyone pre-ordered?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,446 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Steve O wrote: »
    Just seen this on the Game.co.uk site available for pre-order. I love the look of the arcade games, reminds me of the dreamcast and megadrive games of old.

Anyone pre-ordered?

I was a backer alright but no sign of anything yet. Not hugely surprised. I assumed the Americans would get sorted first. Looking forward to it alright though! It'll probably be my "emulator machine" :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Arthur Gies of Polygon was talking on Rebel FM two weeks ago about a hands on he had with the console. Apparently there's some serious input lag issues with it, so I'm crossing my fingers that these will be fixed before I get mine in a few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,521 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I read today that backers should have their consoles by the end of May.

Mr E wrote: »
    I read today that backers should have their consoles by the end of May.

They sent this graph to backers:

TheChart.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

I'm a backer too. That's a pretty useless graph.
    It's mostly going to be an emulator and XBMC machine for me, and it'll be nice to see any homebrew stuff that floats to the surface. May even have a gander at the SDK and try to get back into game development.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Not the best review

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,095 ✭✭✭✭briany

TPD wrote: »
    I'm a backer too. That's a pretty useless graph.
    It's mostly going to be an emulator and XBMC machine for me, and it'll be nice to see any homebrew stuff that floats to the surface. May even have a gander at the SDK and try to get back into game development.

I already have a PC with XBox controllers hooked up to the TV. Also have the XBMC. OUYA seems to be making a play for people dissatisfied with current console scene with it's open platform but quite a few of those, like myself, already have some sort of HTPC solution for their entertainment needs. It could be a struggle for the OUYA to woo that market but a breakthrough that would be the making of the console if it did.

briany wrote: »
    I already have a PC with XBox controllers hooked up to the TV. Also have the XBMC. OUYA seems to be making a play for people dissatisfied with current console scene with it's open platform but quite a few of those, like myself, already have some sort of HTPC solution for their entertainment needs. It could be a struggle for the OUYA to woo that market but a breakthrough that would be the making of the console if it did.

I have the pc hooked up too, but I'd rather leave an ouya on all day instead of the full desktop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Have a HTPC too but I can see where the OUYA could be handy for those not wanting to fork out on a setup / save space when they just want to run XBMC and some basic emulated stuff, nothing hectic.

Have no interest in buying one but I'm certainly interested to see how people take to it upon release and how it'll be opened up down the line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,095 ✭✭✭✭briany

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Have a HTPC too but I can see where the OUYA could be handy for those not wanting to fork out on a setup / save space when they just want to run XBMC and some basic emulated stuff, nothing hectic.

Have no interest in buying one but I'm certainly interested to see how people take to it upon release and how it'll be opened up down the line.

Yeah I can certainly see that this console will have it's own subset to whom it'll appeal. Whether that'll be big enough to keep it viable remains to be seen. FWIW I think that something like the OUYA is the way forward. I'm a big believer in open platforms and I think the big console makers have been really dragging their heels in this regard like they're they're trying to create complete home entertainment solutions while keeping everything proprietary. It's part of the whole personality crisis that consoles are going through where they don't seem to know where to take it other than add graphical power and a gimmick or two to give the illusion of forward progression.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

anyone got theirs yet?

anyone got theirs yet?

Still waiting for shipping confirmation. :(

Getting the limited edition one so I guess I'll be waiting a while. Although they said in the most recent update that they were ramping up international and limited edition shipping this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,166 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Still waiting for shipping confirmation. :(

Getting the limited edition one so I guess I'll be waiting a while. Although they said in the most recent update that they were ramping up international and limited edition shipping this week.

I'm a backer, no sign of mine.

I was looking at a thread on reddit last week and it didn't seem like any regular ol backer had theirs.

No sign of mine either. If they hope to have all orders shipped by the end of the month, we should be getting our two-weeks-notice emails by the end of next week.

The way they've dealt with it leaves a somewhat sour taste in my mouth. If they had a webpage showing backer number and shipping status, so we could see exactly how many have shipped, it would be much better than the vague figure-less line graph.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,521 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Mr E wrote: »

Is that just the retail launch or does that affect backers as well I wonder?

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Is that just the retail launch or does that affect backers as well I wonder?

I'm hoping they're just giving themselves extra time to get all post-kickstarter preorders out before retail. And it sounds as if the sticky buttons issue is fixed already, so I'd imagine any shipping from today onwards would have this resolved.

TPD wrote: »
    If they hope to have all orders shipped by the end of the month, we should be getting our two-weeks-notice emails by the end of next week.

They didn't leave much time to spare! Got my shipping email this morning, should be here in two weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

No email for me yet :(

• Advertisement

Taltos wrote: »
    No email for me yet :(

Same. :(

Advertisement