Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OUYA: A New Kind of Video Game Console

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

My order number was in the 22000s, but I'm not sure if it's going by that at all any more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,166 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I got a mail this morning at 10:49.

Order 85XX

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

How do you find out your order number? I remember seeing it in a project update at one point, but can't remember which one...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,490 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

can I ask what the appeal of this is
    would it not be the same as setting up a controller via sixaxis controller to your android phone and playing on a screen?

The order number was on the verify user account email, which is a different format to the project update emails so is awkward to search for. Mine landed on around 14th December I think.

The appeal of this thing, to me anyway, is having a low powered 1080p media device plugged into the tv and turned on at all times. It doubles as an emulator for a pretty hefty back catalog, and may see some unique indie games which otherwise wouldn't make it to xbox/ps3, and might not garner much attention on the google play store.

• Advertisement

TPD wrote: »
    The order number was on the verify user account email, which is a different format to the project update emails so is awkward to search for. Mine landed on around 14th December I think.

The appeal of this thing, to me anyway, is having a low powered 1080p media device plugged into the tv and turned on at all times. It doubles as an emulator for a pretty hefty back catalog, and may see some unique indie games which otherwise wouldn't make it to xbox/ps3, and might not garner much attention on the google play store.

Ah, cheers man, found mine. I was backer number 63XX, but I went for the limited edition so I guess that's why witnessmenow got shipping already and I haven't. :)

The appeal of the thing for me is to have a console that I can develop games for. Also it'll just be something cool to mess around with. The argument that you could just hook a controller to your phone doesn't work for me tbh, but each to their own. I think what you get for the $99 is pretty good value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,446 ✭✭✭RedXIV

No email for me either, but I ordered a second controller so I'm expecting that to be the delay. Ah well!

Got my tracking email today. It says estimated arrival on the 23rd May, which I find a bit unlikely as the tracking says it's in Hong Kong..

I also got a tracking mail (tracking not active yet)

Looks like we will be paying import duty on this bad boy

EDIT: Actually, if its shipping from HK, why did we have to pay extra for international shipping?

No idea why the shipping is higher for non-US. Differing costs for the plugs surely wouldn't be that much.

Does your estimated arrival seem too soon to be realistic? Most people online were saying 9-10 days after tracking email.

• Advertisement

Do i think it will be here tomorrow? No :)

I'd expect it to be here Monday maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I was thinking of pre-ordering one myself. How much is shipping to ireland, guys?

Mine is now 'Out for Delivery' from Dublin. Sadly it's going to the parents house so I won't get playing until the weekend.

BA, no idea the costs of pre-order. The kickstarter cost was an extra $20 for shipping outside US.

Mine is on hold in Germany since this morning.

I still haven't got shipping confirmation. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭Pedro Monscooch

Got mine today by courier. Had to pay 20 customs charge so that might be why its slow to reach you guys. Disappointed I wont have time to play until tomorrow.

Mine arrived this morning, €20 customs (seems like a very round number?). Will have a look at it later this evening.

Parents happened to be coming my way today, so dropped it off to me. Will report back tomorrow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭Pedro Monscooch

Emulators are great and some of the games are cool but the picture wont fit my screen properly. I cant read a lot of the options on the menu screen and it's definitely on the Ouya's side. I've read theres an update coming so will hopefully be fixed before general launch. Feels like backing the kickstarter and waiting so long was a bit pointless if the proper thing is coming next week.

Emulators are great and some of the games are cool but the picture wont fit my screen properly. I cant read a lot of the options on the menu screen and it's definitely on the Ouya's side. I've read theres an update coming so will hopefully be fixed before general launch. Feels like backing the kickstarter and waiting so long was a bit pointless if the proper thing is coming next week.

It has been delayed til June 25th

Will be interesting to have a play around with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭koHd

If Microsoft announce open publishing on XBLA and a new price near €100 for the Xbox 360, OUYA could already be beaten at it's own game.

I was interested in OUYA. But Xbox 360 wins hands down at the same price point and open indie publishing.

On the other hand, if Microsoft don't allow open publishing for indie's, they're missing a clear opportunity to keep the 360 relevant for many more years.

Any idea as to why we've to pay customs on it? Surely that was the whole point of the extra money we'd to pay on Kickstarter?

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Any idea as to why we've to pay customs on it? Surely that was the whole point of the extra money we'd to pay on Kickstarter?

I thought at the time the extra money was because they were due to ship them out of the States.

Im a small bit miffed at the extra money for international shipping

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

The XBMC and Twitch.tv support sold me alone tbh.

Has anyone placed an order that wasn't a backer, be interested to know where they placed their order :)

Its updating here beside me. My opinions so far

The Good:
    Looks nice
    Comes with HDMI cable and batteries
    Interface is nice
    Nice little funny messages as its updating here

The Bad:
    Lack of documentation in the box is pretty bad.
    Didn't display on my montitor first time i turned it on, it did the second time for some reason
    Didnt connect to my unprotected wifi first time, did the second time.

EDIT:
    Update finished, same craic with monitor, needed to turn on and off again. Then disconnected from wireless when try to download a game ... and now doesnt even see my wireless.. not a great start!

Have mine hooked up and playing an episode of Twin Peaks via XBMC. Seems nice enough, though it's not recognising a usb stick in the OS, only in apps such as emulators or xbmc. Also, the only game I tried on SuperGNES was completely unresponsive. Must try another.
    Had a go of Organ Trail, my friend 'Ass' got a broken leg, and I put him down.

Edit:
    Got a different snes emulator going which is working well, and an N64 one too. Plugged in a wired 360 pad and it worked mostly fine, but after a couple of minutes it kept throwing Mario into lava. Did anyone get youtube working at all?

So how're people getting on with theirs? Have some of the previewers concerns (controller responsiveness, menus, framerates) been fixed/improved? What's the game selection like?

Still no shipping confirmation here... Emailed support@ last Thursday and still no reply. Hopefully should have a reply by the morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,709 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

koHd wrote: »
    If Microsoft announce open publishing on XBLA and a new price near €100 for the Xbox 360, OUYA could already be beaten at it's own game.

I was interested in OUYA. But Xbox 360 wins hands down at the same price point and open indie publishing.

On the other hand, if Microsoft don't allow open publishing for indie's, they're missing a clear opportunity to keep the 360 relevant for many more years.
    Microsoft do not care for their indies - they have not allowed self-publishing on the 360, and will not allow self-publishing on the Xbox One [link], and they STILL think that charging $40k for critical patches is OK.

This contrasts highly with Sony courting indie developers with financial & technical support [link], Nintendo's flexible eShop [link], Valve's Greenlight initiative, and of course the developer-friendly iOS landscape.

Simply put, to think that there is any life left in the Xbox 360 is naive at best, misinformed at worst, and a nightmare for anyone daring to dream.

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    So how're people getting on with theirs? Have some of the previewers concerns (controller responsiveness, menus, framerates) been fixed/improved? What's the game selection like?

The controller seems plenty responsive going through menus, and is fine the majority of gameplay, but sometimes it seems to get stuck in a direction for a few seconds, after you've let the analog stick go back to the centre. I've only noticed that in mario 64 however. Hopefully that's a software issue which will be patched.
    Again, in mario, framerates are fine - it seems to be capped at a decent rate and capable of going faster.
    Game selection isn't fantastic yet, but I haven't gone through most of the genre menus. Should pick up once it's launched anyway.
    XBMC runs perfectly on it, which is the main thing mine was bought used for, so I'm not complaining :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭koHd

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Microsoft do not care for their indies - they have not allowed self-publishing on the 360, and will not allow self-publishing on the Xbox One [link], and they STILL think that charging $40k for critical patches is OK.

This contrasts highly with Sony courting indie developers with financial & technical support [link], Nintendo's flexible eShop [link], Valve's Greenlight initiative, and of course the developer-friendly iOS landscape.

Simply put, to think that there is any life left in the Xbox 360 is naive at best, misinformed at worst, and a nightmare for anyone daring to dream.

You do know Microsoft said they see the 360 having another five years in the mainstream and they have a big announcement for the 360 at E3? Add in there the mention of the success of Minecraft when teasing the announcement I think my speculation is reasonable.

Sure it is just speculation. But to call it naive or misinformed is wrong.

Supporting indies on the 360 is now a perfectly reasonable plan for Microsoft. They have the infrastructure and player base already in place. It keeps the 360 earning. And it doesn't interfere with their main business with the Xbox One. The power of the 360 is more than enough for indie developers for years to come.

Given the hype around Ouya, you'd be mad not to think Microsoft haven't thought of unleashing open publishing on the 360 now that its had its day as a next gen AAA system.

Advertisement