Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OUYA: A New Kind of Video Game Console

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Microsoft do not care for their indies - they have not allowed self-publishing on the 360, and will not allow self-publishing on the Xbox One [link], and they STILL think that charging $40k for critical patches is OK.
    Actually MS have dropped the patching fees for downloadable titles as of recently. Also, it's worth noting that while the fee was extremely high (not, $40K high, that was for multiple platforms) a chunk of that was to pay for the certification process. Personally I'd prefer to see some level of gatekeeping by MS of the service rather than a free for all approach.
    K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    This contrasts highly with Sony courting indie developers with financial & technical support [link], Nintendo's flexible eShop [link], Valve's Greenlight initiative, and of course the developer-friendly iOS landscape.
    The amusing thing here being that both Sony and Nintendo have slow and unreasonable histories with indie developers and it is only now that things have improved. Policies and attitudes change over time and I'd wager that if indies flock to these platforms that MS will similarily change their tune as time goes on. As for Valve and Greenlight, well they're not immune from ****ery either.

As for the 360 being opened up properly, I do doubt it though. The best I can see happening is a similar eco-system to Windows Phone whereby devs would be able to self publish but only without full XBox Live functionality. Basically the XBLIG marketplace but with support for non-XNA based games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Shipping email from OUYA. ETA two weeks. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Nice one. Was starting to get worried. Haven't received my shipping email yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,166 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Anyone with an Ouya interested in doing some play testing on a local multi-player game I'm working on?

You will need at least 2 players. Max is 4

You will also need to side load the apk.

Controllers supported are Ouya, Xbox via Wireless Adapter and 2 players on a keyboard. Wired Xbox should work, and maybe a Ps3 controller.

Its not the finished article but I think its still really good fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Anyone with an Ouya interested in doing some play testing on a local multi-player game I'm working on?

You will need at least 2 players. Max is 4

You will also need to side load the apk.

Controllers supported are Ouya, Xbox via Wireless Adapter and 2 players on a keyboard. Wired Xbox should work, and maybe a Ps3 controller.

Its not the finished article but I think its still really good fun.

Definitely! Should be able to give it a go on Sunday or Monday. Ill be using ouya and wired 360 pads.

Unrelated, but does anyone know if the wiimote works on the ouya? Would be a handy controller for web browsing etc. if someones developed it to work properly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

seen this , pretty funny

64MZee6.gif

Anyone NOT receive their shipping email? Starting to get a little concerned :(

RangeR wrote: »
    Anyone NOT receive their shipping email? Starting to get a little concerned :(

Concern not unfounded. Received an email this morning saying that 5000 units havent shipped yet. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Recurve360

When is the actual day of release in Retailers? Didnt pre order but planning to get as soon as its available :)

Anyone have the link to where I can use my tracking number? The email I got said "Click on the url below", but there wasn't a single url in the email...

Really, the whole shipping experience hasn't filled me with much confidence tbh. :\

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

any of you have a ouya?? how does it stack up? good craic? worth the money etc??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Thinking of getting a OUYA just for XBMC so all input welcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Wouldn't a Pi do the same job for cheaper?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Despite saying I had no interest in it, I got one of these today. I'll have a play with it tomorrow and report my findings

I've seen enough with it that it has lots of potential, they have still have lots of work to do with though (make it easier to pair ps3 controllers etc)

We just need the games now!

EDIT:

Just to be clear, there is some good game on it, but we need more

7 days into the estimated delivery time. Still no sign. :(

First impressions - decent idea, reasonable build. Controller doesn't quite feel premium enough. It's solid and weighty but there's something about it that feels off. I'll try to figure out what it it's tonight.

Interface is disappointingly basic. I like to tinker and out of the box there's no tinkering available, which is a shame for an android device. That's not really the point of it though, so can't hold that against it.

The Wi-Fi is very slow. They gone done goofed with the aluminium cover... Looks like it's blocking Wi-Fi. Sadly I've not been able to play anything yet, though I did download a good bit from the store. Disappointed with the selection on offer there, but it's early days

Julie is pissed? Well so the **** am I. Still haven't received my Ouya pack. Allegedly it's been in the courier warehouse since May. Absolutely NO information from Team Ouya at all. they are totally silent. At this stage, I just want my money back.

I'm not looking for a personalised email. Just SOMETHING posted on their website to give us an indication.

Julie is pissed? Well so the **** am I. Still haven't received my Ouya pack. Allegedly it's been in the courier warehouse since May. Absolutely NO information from Team Ouya at all. they are totally silent. At this stage, I just want my money back.

I'm not looking for a personalised email. Just SOMETHING posted on their website to give us an indication.

Between this shipping mess, the fact (at least I think it's been confirmed) that retail units will have improved controllers over the backer models and the whole being caught for customs even though we've already paid extra, it's really leaving a sour taste in the mouth for having backed this on KS.

I could put up with the delay in getting the console (delays happen, and they got more early backers than they anticipated, even though they've had months to prepare for it) if they'd just give us feedback. It took them over a week to respond to my initial inquiry as to where my unit was, even thought he automated message says "We aim to answer questions within 48 hours".

Not particularly impressed with OUYA after 5 days with it. Haven't side loaded any of my existing non-Ouya games, but the selection on there is poor really. It doesn't have the kind of games you need for a home device. They're great for a portable, given that they're short sharp burst games, but there's little to hold interest. Gonna load up the GTA's shortly, and then throw on some ROMs of older systems to see how it measures up on that front. That could be its major selling point - but given that you can get a Wii for less these days, it's not exactly striking me as a must-have

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Christ, the reviews are fairley harsh on this thing. They read like the reviewers really wanted to like it and are hoping the problems get fixed with updates. I know it's early days but it still has to be disappointing for the creators/backers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

So, is this thing good for XBMC? I've heard that there is a beta XBMC that makes proper us of the Tegra 3 SoC in the Ouya. I'd be curious to know if you can attach a USB harddrive or stream content over wifi in 1080p. If it can do all that comfortably (most of the android XBMC players are not quite there yet) alongside some basic games then I think it would be a great purchase

So, is this thing good for XBMC? I've heard that there is a beta XBMC that makes proper us of the Tegra 3 SoC in the Ouya. I'd be curious to know if you can attach a USB harddrive or stream content over wifi in 1080p. If it can do all that comfortably (most of the android XBMC players are not quite there yet) alongside some basic games then I think it would be a great purchase

This is exactley why I got it. As a media centre first and foremost. XBMC and Netflix and , maybe, music.

Android gaming would be a distant second

Xbmc seems to be pretty good on it. Im using that "libstagefright" beta build.

I have one of those arctic machines that was on BA a few months ago running Open elec and it runs it pretty much the same as that.

I didnt try anything too HD, i think 720p. Streaming over my wired network, was perfect.

Plex was officially released for it yesterday(i think), its available to download in the ouya market. Its ment to be very nice if reddit is to be believed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

I'm using that libstagefright build of XBMC too, it streamed a 14GB 1080p copy of Back to the Future II perfectly over the wired network. When it was coming off a wireless laptop onto the wired Ouya there was buffering for a few seconds every minute, so it was pretty unwatchable. I'd imagine that's more to do with the network than the ouya or xbmc build though.

TPD wrote: »
    I'd imagine that's more to do with the network than the ouya or xbmc build though.

No imagining about it. It was the network or more specifically, it was the WIFI. You can't expect to watch 1080p over WIFI. Hell even 720p can be unwatchable.

BTTFII [a 12GB~ file] would need a sustained average stream of 15Mbps [1.9MBps] to watch. And that's in perfect conditions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

Good point about 1080p streaming over normal wifi, I'm used to faster wi-fi but I have a pair of those homeplug adapters if the Ouya wifi isnt up to it.
    This is exactley why I got it. As a media centre first and foremost. XBMC and Netflix and , maybe, music.

Android gaming would be a distant second

How is Netflix working out? do you use the standard android app from your google play account? I think it will be great for cheap games, the tegra 3 powered nexus 7 has some great games

Good point about 1080p streaming over normal wifi, I'm used to faster wi-fi but I have a pair of those homeplug adapters if the Ouya wifi isnt up to it.

How is Netflix working out? do you use the standard android app from your google play account? I think it will be great for cheap games, the tegra 3 powered nexus 7 has some great games

I'm one of the poor ****s who hasn't gotten his OUYA yet, so I can't answer that at the moment. I do have my doubts about Netflix on Ouya unless a native app is developed.

I have a JustOp Android box. It's a cheap as chips STB but it uses the stock Android Netflix app, designed for touch. My TV isn't touch compatable :) It's a hindrance. Basically, I can scroll up and down [or search]. I can't scroll left and right.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Fussgangerzone

Quite interested in these now. Been thinking about some sort of media box, and I like my games.

Judging by Terry Cavanagh's twitter feed (he did VVVVVV and Hexagon) it's not a massive job porting games over to Ouya either, so there could be plenty of games in the long run. Now, whether anyone makes bigger, longer games for it remains to be seen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

Anyone know when we will see them in shops here?

Advertisement