Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OUYA: A New Kind of Video Game Console

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

I'd be surprised to see them in Irish bricks and mortar outlets this side of Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

any other KS backers still waiting on theirs :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭rgfuller

any other KS backers still waiting on theirs :(

Yep, still waiting - have a working shipping code - but it's location has not updated yet - the last week pledge version with an extra controller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I think I got mine today. Package waiting at PO (failed delivery earlier) which I'm having picked up atm. Not impressed that it took this long tbh, but at least I can start messing around with it later.

Actually second question for those that HAVE gotten one. Anyone been stung with customs on these?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,166 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

yes, €20

mine was delivered via DHL

Still waiting on mine. My tracker says

18.06.2013 HK Received & Dispatched Processed in the DGM mail terminal
    26.06.2013 IE Arrived at P.O. Arrival at inward office of exchange
    28.06.2013 IE Processing at P.O. Departure from inward office of exchange

Note that the tracker updates about two days after the event. So, on the 30th I saw the update of the 28th? This two day lag is consistent with the first two events too. DHL is not giving me confidence in their service, tbh. I wouldn't be quick in choosing them for my company [and we ship a lot of product].

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Asked in Gamestop on Henry St on Sunday and they told me that it was on their system but not to expect anything anytime soon.

Actually second question for those that HAVE gotten one. Anyone been stung with customs on these?

Mine just arrived in the door. Got caught for €14.75 customs, delivered by An Post.

I've attached a picture (too big to embed), the Limited Edition version was worth the extra IMO, controller and console look nicer.

Early, early superficial impressions: The controller is a bit uncomfortable to hold. Palm rests are slightly wider than the 360 controller, but probably will get used to it. D-pad is spongey like the 360, sticks are convex which is less than ideal, triggers are nice and the face buttons are good. Think they've fixed the sticking problem reported in early reviews. Overall, feels cheap, but acceptable for the price.

The console itself feels really well built. Surprisingly so in fact. Like the shape, like the metallic finish.

They give you a HDMI cable, 2 AA batteries, the manual and the power adapter in the box.

Nice set. I didn't go for the limited edition. Just standard with second controller. When I started hearing bad things about the controller, I went out and got a PS3 one for it. After powering up, the first thin I will do is pair the Dualshock3 to it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

RangeR wrote: »
    Still waiting on mine.

did you track it here?

https://www.globalmail.dhl.com/web/portal-asia/traceit?

there should be a tracking number by now starting with RX and ending in DE (they're going through a Germn hub), which you can put into AnPost's tracking, so least you'll know when it's left customs, and on the day it's out for delivery it'll update at about 8am)

did you track it here?

https://www.globalmail.dhl.com/web/portal-asia/traceit?

there should be a tracking number by now starting with RX and ending in DE (they're going through a Germn hub), which you can put into AnPost's tracking, so least you'll know when it's left customs, and on the day it's out for delivery it'll update at about 8am)

I did and thanks. Didn't know you could do that.

Anyway... Yer a day too late. Got home and had an "Sorry we missed you" Green and white from An Post. Note said there was a customs charge of €17+ so I guess it's my Ouya. Will pick it up in the morning .

It's odd that the customs charges are different for people...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

I did and thanks. Didn't know you could do that.

Anyway... Yer a day too late. Got home and had an "Sorry we missed you" Green and white from An Post. Note said there was a customs charge of €17+ so I guess it's my Ouya. Will pick it up in the morning .

ok, cula bula, hopefully the info will help someone else.
    you should bring the €17.56 (that's what it was for me) all in coins just to **** of the guys at the depot. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,446 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Still no sign of mine :(

OK, have had a chance to play around with it there for an hour or two.

Controller has grown on me. I probably misjudged it earlier, it's fine to use for games. Only pressing issue I have with it is there isn't a Start button or something similar, which is annoying because the games I've played so far have no way to pause..

The menu and the store looks nice, but unfortunately it's not finished. As per early reviews, once you get into the deeper levels of the menu it boots you back to stock Android. Hopefully that'll be sorted in time, only a minor annoyance.

Another small issue is when you're downloading a game, the only way I've found to see how much has downloaded is to go back to the product page. Bit annoying if you've a slow connection and want to quickly check.

One cool thing is if you hit the top button on the console, it sends it to standby and when you hit it again the console starts up in about 1 second and if you were mid game, it's still open.

Have already bought one game. Polarity. A fun little First Person puzzle game, similar to Portal. You're running around levels looking for data fragments and trying to set fast times. Only issue I'm having with it is that there's no way (unless I'm missing something) to actually quit out of the game. :pac:

Is there a native Netflix or an easy way to side load the Google Play one?

Is there a native Netflix or an easy way to side load the Google Play one?

There's no native one that I can find. The only apps on the store (under the App section) are TuneIn Radio, Twitch.tv, Flixster and a few others I don't recognise (and by a few, I mean about five others).

Not sure how easy it is to sideload stuff, but judging by stuff I've read, it's relatively straightforward.

Been messing around some more with it. Had to factory reset the console because it kept trying to update even though the update had been applied. Factory reset fixed the issue and things seem to be OK again. Console does seem to like to freeze on the store though.

Oh, there's a game on there called Oiche Mhaith. Hon the Irish lads. :P

Home from work.
    OUYA plugged into TV
    Forced System Update
    Login with founder credentials
    Cannot continue without entering payment details
    /me prepares to throw his OUYA in the bin
    Either that or install stock Android

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Home from work.
    OUYA plugged into TV
    Forced System Update
    Login with founder credentials
    Cannot continue without entering payment details
    /me prepares to throw his OUYA in the bin
    Either that or install stock Android

It doesn't charge you, it asks for payment details so that you dont have to put your card in every time you want to buy a game. Not seeing the issue here...

• Advertisement

COYVB wrote: »
    Not seeing the issue here...

I don't want to give them ny CC details until I actually want to purchase something. To be honest, I have no intention of purchasing anything on OUYA. I never did. I want it for Netflix and other AV streaming. That's it. No intention of gaming on it at all.

I don't want to give my CC details. It's now a dead paperweight until I can install stock android.

This CC stipulation was never brought to light during the kick starter campaign. If it was a stipulation, I wouldn't have supported it.

I put in fake details. Generated a CC format number with proper check digit here.

Ouya can't check if it's a valid number until first purchase.

Safe.

Agree with RangeR that mandatory CC details is a bad idea. I'm very hesitant to link my card to accounts and only for the fact that I have an O2 money card which I can control how much money it has access to I wouldn't have put the details in.

I think for a console that seems to be going for the "You don't HAVE to pay anything!" vibe, requiring CC details before you can even go into the main menu is a bad first impression.

Actually, when some of the guys still waiting for theirs finally gets the unit, could ye try holding the power button (home button) on the controller at that CC details screen and see what happens?

I only realised after a few hours last night that that button acted as a home button too. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

I never had to put in CC details :confused:

TPD wrote: »
    I never had to put in CC details :confused:

Really? That's odd... Did it just go straight to the menu when you logged in?

EDIT: Oh, someone asked about sideloading stuff earlier. Here's a guide that looks pretty handy.

Side loaded Netflix, XBMC, Dropbox, MXPlayer [not working yet, prob missing codec].

The BIGGEST flaw that the OUYA has [other than enforcing CC input] is that when the controller turns off after 10 minutes, Video stops playing.

Here's me, watching Netflix. A bit of ST:V, enjoying a bit of Seven of Nine. 10 minutes in, bang. It pauses the video. I notice that the controller is off as it's not responding. I turn it on and press play again. 10 minutes later, same thing happens. 1 minute later, I pack it away.

I'll wait until OUYA is production ready. It's just not usable as a media device. Exceptionally disappointed with OUYA so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

That is horrendous. Sounds like it was rushed to market without actually testing it out. Hopefully in a year OUYA will be the console it was promised to be. Might take 2 by the sounds of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

The BIGGEST flaw that the OUYA has [other than enforcing CC input] is that when the controller turns off after 10 minutes, Video stops playing.

Which player was this in? I've never had that happen in XBMC.

TPD wrote: »
    Which player was this in? I've never had that happen in XBMC.

Netflix

• Advertisement

jaykhunter wrote: »
    That is horrendous. Sounds like it was rushed to market without actually testing it out. Hopefully in a year OUYA will be the console it was promised to be. Might take 2 by the sounds of it.

he is using a side loaded version of netflix so it's unsupported software so of course it mightn't work as expected. Of all the crap that is wrong with OUYA this isn't something that is actually their fault

Advertisement