Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strawberries not sweet

Options
  • 10-07-2012 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭

Hi, Im getting some lovely strawberries from my plants. Juicy with a nice bite, but fairly tasteless (sharp taste if anything). Not unpleasant but not what I was hoping. The odd one is sweet, but they are usually the ones that have gone a bit past their physical best.

Any ideas why?

While Im at it, any pointers on getting the best crop possible would be appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

livinsane wrote: »
    Hi, Im getting some lovely strawberries from my plants. Juicy with a nice bite, but fairly tasteless (sharp taste if anything). Not unpleasant but not what I was hoping. The odd one is sweet, but they are usually the ones that have gone a bit past their physical best.

Any ideas why?

While Im at it, any pointers on getting the best crop possible would be appreciated. Thanks.

Strawberrys need Sun to sweeten, something we lack this year, Lot's of water, use liquid feeds, also I think potassium or maybe phosphorus will improve the Sugar content.

Nitrogen will only soften your fruit and take from the fruit so use a low Nitrogen, High P & K feed..
    If grown in soil (Best Flavour) add LOADS of Organic material fertilizer (Farm Yard Manure) before and durning growing of strawberry plants

• Registered Users Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Could be overwatering :) , just cut down on the outdoor irrigation and everything will Taste sweeter( and a nation will be grateful)

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭kynzvart

My strawberries are the very same,tasteless not enough sun I am afraid. Maybe better luck next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Not enough sunshine and way too much rain...:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

As Jezko said above, potassium for flavour and more importantly sunshine,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

Thanks for the answers. I have them in a greenhouse, and maybe Im easily pleased, but I thought we were getting lots of sunny days in Cork this year!(apart from the ravaging floods!).

Would tomato feed be suitable?

Advertisement