Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lightning strikes twice....

Options
  • 10-07-2012 8:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭

and sadly probably three, four and five times more....

Earlier today I was walking with a friend, from the bus station, across the bridge towards Penrose Quay. Two dodgy looking characters coming towards us, ask us for a euro. When we refused they would not let us pass, even when i climbed out over the railing to walk on the road, the taller of the two did likewise and blocked me off. Kept mouthing off at us, telling me and my friend they would kick our heads in if we didn't open our pockets. Even when a female passer-by tried to intervene to help us they wouldn't relent. Next thing i know i felt a firm fist to my upper jaw. I wanted to react very badly but then i remembered where i'd seen these two thugs before - last week in Washington St, kicking seven shades out of two students:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=79427819

There were enough cars stopped on the bridge to have seen the incident. To make a long story short, i told my friend to go home and i followed these guys from a distance, while on the phone to Anglesea St. They weren't dealt with properly last week so i made sure they were going to be arrested this time. After trying to knock the head off the security guard in the bus station, they made their way towards Patrick St, hassling people for money all the time. They were eventually arrested by the bus stop outside Oasis.

I really hope these scum have the book thrown at them. Guard said they have several previous convictions against them, which i know doesn't count for much when we're talking about this type of scumbag.

It's pretty bad when you can't walk down the street though without being assaulted by lowlifes. Sad thing is they'll be out again in no time, no doubt assaulting more individuals who refuse to be robbed of their change. What exactly must they do to be locked up for a serious period of time!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

Locked up, wont make a Difference,

once a Scum bag always a Scum bag..

it makes you mad when ppl like this can act like this and get away with this. No Wonder where Hated in Oz.. Scumbags thinking they can get away with stuff over their just like they did here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Cork24 wrote: »
    Locked up, wont make a Difference,

once a Scum bag always a Scum bag..

it makes you mad when ppl like this can act like this and get away with this. No Wonder where Hated in Oz.. Scumbags thinking they can get away with stuff over their just like they did here.
    Well if it prevents them from assaulting someone else then I think it will make a difference. They were hassling an old man outside Merchants Quay, would have taken his cash too if it wasn't for two other guys telling them to get lost. Imagine if they had punched that old man, anything could happen. If it keeps them off the street even for a few months, then i'm glad i went after them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

Earlier today I was walking with a friend, from the bus station, across the bridge towards Penrose Quay. Two dodgy looking characters coming towards us, ask us for a euro. When we refused they would not let us pass, even when i climbed out over the railing to walk on the road, the taller of the two did likewise and blocked me off. Kept mouthing off at us, telling me and my friend they would kick our heads in if we didn't open our pockets. Even when a female passer-by tried to intervene to help us they wouldn't relent. Next thing i know i felt a firm fist to my upper jaw. I wanted to react very badly but then i remembered where i'd seen these two thugs before - last week in Washington St, kicking seven shades out of two students:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...php?p=79427819

There were enough cars stopped on the bridge to have seen the incident. To make a long story short, i told my friend to go home and i followed these guys from a distance, while on the phone to Anglesea St. They weren't dealt with properly last week so i made sure they were going to be arrested this time. After trying to knock the head off the security guard in the bus station, they made their way towards Patrick St, hassling people for money all the time. They were eventually arrested by the bus stop outside Oasis

This is a problem around limerick too and even the small estate where im from,its huge,heroin problems have just shot up insanely over the last ten years,ya there was heroin abuse ...but now its just getting worse

all begging for money and a lot of them have addresses registered at wet house hostels(for druggies and drunks who are homeless),and on top of their dole their begging?!

they are getting cheeky now,i had one block my path there the other day i was going to give him 3 euros but then i said to myself not worth it as he was being so obnoxious,i thought if i did give him the few euro he would just be encouraged to act worse..

to the people who give the euros - you are the cause of this problem its why they hang around.

the police in ireland(theres not enough of them,and the current garda freeze does not help the situation)should be on the beat on the streets and in cars to catch crime on the minute.they should also be there to move them on.

when new york had real problems in the 80's,there were junks,punks and pimps and prostitutes hanging out on every street corner,now since zero tolearance they move them on regulary - we should do the same here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

heroin problems have just shot up
    :pac:

This is a problem around limerick too and even the small estate where im from,its huge,heroin problems have just shot up insanely over the last ten years,ya there was heroin abuse ...but now its just getting worse

all begging for money and a lot of them have addresses registered at wet house hostels(for druggies and drunks who are homeless),and on top of their dole their begging?!

they are getting cheeky now,i had one block my path there the other day i was going to give him 3 euros but then i said to myself not worth it as he was being so obnoxious,i thought if i did give him the few euro he would just be encouraged to act worse..

to the people who give the euros - you are the cause of this problem its why they hang around.

the police in ireland(theres not enough of them,and the current garda freeze does not help the situation)should be on the beat on the streets and in cars to catch crime on the minute.they should also be there to move them on.

when new york had real problems in the 80's,there were junks,punks and pimps and prostitutes hanging out on every street corner,now since zero tolearance they move them on regulary - we should do the same here!

Having worked in Limerick for long enough, i know the situation up there is bad. They are a total plague on O'Connell St and William St. But even up there, when i refused them money or ignored them, the worst i ever got was a few insults thrown my way. I've never actually had a punch thrown my way. So i was totally taken aback by it, and a little bit intimidated if i'm honest. The law is much too soft on these type of vermin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

fair deuce to you for following them and getting them arrested well done..hope the jaw isnt too bad

Milly33 wrote: »
    fair deuce to you for following them and getting them arrested well done..hope the jaw isnt too bad
    it's fine, thanks. I'm more annoyed about my glasses.

I was coming out of the Centra on Oliver Plunkett Street at about 2am on Sat night, a chap (junkie) with a lady friend asked me could I do him a favour, I said no, he said please, I said no chance and strolled on. I hopped into my car that was parked across the road, the chap than approached a young lad (20 maybe), dunno what he said but the young lad proceeded to take out his wallet and open it :rolleyes:

The wallet was snatched, there was a very brief scuffle, the wallet was thrown to the ground (after cash was taken from it) and the fella and the lady walked away with the young lad after them. They didn't run off, just walked away hastily.

I was after ringing 999 as soon as the scuffle started so was on the line to the control centre or whatever it is called (she recognised the female party as soon as she got a visual on one of the cameras), so I wandered off after them while on the line, they went past the Catwalk and headed for the South Mall, at this stage it was impossible to know which of them had the cash. I told the young lad that I was on the phone to the Gardai and that they were on there way and that we'll follow the couple and keep them in sight. Once they saw there was now two of us rather than the lad on his own they seemed more anxious to get away.

The man and women sort of split up in the South Mall and I reckon the lady had the cash as we mainly followed the male dude and he didn't seem to stash anything anywhere, he tried unsuccessfully to get a cab, eventually they both went down that street where the entrance to the Imperial Spa is and two Gardai on foot approached and apprehended them, they were both searched but had no money on them. They weren't arrested but details taken and the Gardai did there bit in fairness as best they could.The young lad maintained they has taken 2 €50 notes from his wallet, no sign of it on them though. He only had a €5 than after bringing out €150 :(

On the plus side the young guy wasn't hurt at all but he was down a right few quid and the saddest part of it was he was saying to me afterwards how he shouldn't have gone out at all that night, how he shouldn't have gone down Oli Plunk Street on his own, how he shouldn't have had his few pints etc etc. I found that awful as this incident may well have an effect on his confidence etc etc, hopefully not though as he was a gutsy sort in fairness.

I told him all he did wrong was to take out his wallet and that having a scuffle with a junkie isn't recommended if at all avoidable in case they had a syringe etc on them that could intentionally or accidentally break his skin (forget the proper name for that now tbh), I can see why he did get in the scuffle but there was no actual need for it as the lad who tried to snatch the wallet wasn't like the lads in the OP here if ye can appreciate what I mean, he wasn't threatening etc etc.

RoverJames wrote: »
    I was coming out of the Centra on Washington Street at about 2am on Sat night, a chap (junkie) with a lady friend asked me could I do him a favour, I said no, he said please, I said no chance and strolled on. I hopped into my car that was parked across the road, the chap than approached a young lad (20 maybe), dunno what he said but the young lad proceeded to take out his wallet and open it :rolleyes:

The wallet was snatched, there was a very brief scuffle, the wallet was thrown to the ground (after cash was taken from it) and the fella and the lady walked away with the young lad after them. They didn't run off, just walked away hastily.

I was after ringing 999 as soon as the scuffle started so was on the line to the control centre or whatever it is called (she recognised the female party as soon as she got a visual on one of the cameras), so I wandered off after them while on the line, they went past the Catwalk and headed for the South Mall, at this stage it was impossible to know which of them had the cash. I told the young lad that I was on the phone to the Gardai and that they were on there way and that we'll follow the couple and keep them in sight. Once they saw there was now two of us rather than the lad on his own they seemed more anxious to get away.

The man and women sort of split up in the South Mall and I reckon the lady had the cash as we mainly followed the male dude and he didn't seem to stash anything anywhere, he tried unsuccessfully to get a cab, eventually they both went down that street where the entrance to the Imperial Spa is and two Gardai on foot approached and apprehended them, they were both searched but had no money on them. They weren't arrested but details taken and the Gardai did there bit in fairness as best they could.The young lad maintained they has taken 2 €50 notes from his wallet, no sign of it on them though. He only had a €5 than after bringing out €150 :(

On the plus side the young guy wasn't hurt at all but he was down a right few quid and the saddest part of it was he was saying to me afterwards how he shouldn't have gone out at all that night, how he shouldn't have gone down Oli Plunk Street on his own, how he shouldn't have had his few pints etc etc. I found that awful as this incident may well have an effect on his confidence etc etc, hopefully not though as he was a gutsy sort in fairness.

I told him all he did wrong was to take out his wallet and that having a scuffle with a junkie isn't recommended if at all avoidable in case they had a syringe etc on them that could intentionally or accidentally break his skin (forget the proper name for that now tbh), I can see why he did get in the scuffle but there was no actual need for it as the lad who tried to snatch the wallet wasn't like the lads in the OP here if ye can appreciate what I mean, he wasn't threatening etc etc.
    Fair play for following them. I just think the guards need to spend a little time alone in a dark room with these types of scum. Might sort them out.

grenache wrote: »
    Fair play for following them. I just think the guards need to spend a little time alone in a dark room with these types of scum. Might sort them out.

I wasn't in any sort of danger so it was no act of heroism or anything like it, to be honest I thought the Gardai would have arrived quicker, maybe the mountain bike lads or whatever, but it was 2am ish so probably the worst time to call them. Was at least 5 mins I'd say, must check to see how long I was on the line to them for. A minute or so after the two on foot arrived another Garda arrived in a car so they were doing there best.

Unfortunately no amount of time in a dark room would sort out a heroin addict, it's an appalling addiction that takes over completely.

• Advertisement

I was coming out of the Centra on Washington Street at about 2am on Sat night...........

Sorry, 'twas Olli Plunk Centra not Wash Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

I wasn't in any sort of danger so it was no act of heroism or anything like it, to be honest I thought the Gardai would have arrived quicker, maybe the mountain bike lads or whatever, but it was 2am ish so probably the worst time to call them. Was at least 5 mins I'd say, must check to see how long I was on the line to them for. A minute or so after the two on foot arrived another Garda arrived in a car so they were doing there best.

Unfortunately no amount of time in a dark room would sort out a heroin addict, it's an appalling addiction that takes over completely.

You are correct re the timing and the pressure Gardai are under at around that time. I must admire both yourself and the OP, firstly for ringing the Gardai and secondly for following the culprits. There are still too many out there who would not bother.

As far as i am concerned and am saddened to say this but in my opinion, we do not have the necessary laws, judicary, legal system, Garda resources and punishment to deal with these scum bags. There is no deterent there, they are laughing at us.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭mcko

I was walking down French Church St. a couple of weeks ago and I was stopped by a young girl about 20 begging,I told her to f off, I followed her down the street as she was asking lots of elderly people as well, nothing happened.
    A few days later I see her coming out of Debenhams with a fist full of euros with her boy friend, I stopped her and asked her for a few bob, you should have seen her face I walked on and had a big smile on my face.

It's a pity the city is becoming unsafe to walk in, I know the Gardai are sick of arresting the same people but that is what they are paid to do, they should break the scum bags hearts, if they are seen in the city they should be stopped and hassled, scumbags hate the attention of the Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,285 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Fair play to ya OP for following that scum - I know I wouldn't have and that's the problem, people are just too bloody scared of these types and you wouldnt blame them really.

It's getting scary how animal like our society is becoming, after seeing your 2 threads on this topic and listening to the variety of anti-social behaviour stories from that concert in the Phoenix Park on Saturday night, it actually almost makes me emotional. As a nation, we are becoming more and more violent and it's all down to drink and drugs, pure and simple. :(

It just should not be the case that someone is scared to go out on a Saturday night or even walk down any street in our city in broad daylight for fear of being attacked/assaulted or harrassed for money. If this had happened to a sensitive guy or a girl it could have really affected their feeling of being secure in their own city - I know it would have with me.

Hope you are ok OP and once again, nice one on following the guys :)

leahyl wrote: »
    . If this had happened to a sensitive guy or a girl it could have really affected their feeling of being secure in their own city - I know it would have with me.

I think this might be the case with the incident I saw :mad:
    I hate saying it but defo at night ladies shouldn't be walking the quieter streets on their own, the handbag would be a potential easy snatch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Scumbags scumbags everywhere.

Id be careful of being around Grenache tbh. He seems to follow trouble :D

I think this might be the case with the incident I saw :mad:
    I hate saying it but defo at night ladies shouldn't be walking the quieter streets on their own, the handbag would be a potential easy snatch.

Tbh I'm nervous if I ever have to wait for a bus on Patrick Street after dark. I just don't feel safe, particularly around Centra on Grand Parade - some serious dodgy feckers hang around there!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

I just don't feel safe, particularly around Centra on Grand Parade - some serious dodgy feckers hang around there!

I was at the door there one evening a couple of weeks ago, around 5pm, friend was in the queue inside - couple came across street and I caught a section of their conversation:

"…that's just prison fat, I'll lose that again in a while" she said. "I'll ride it off ya!" he said: she then walked up to the fridge in Centra, grabbed two bottles of Coke and just walked out the door and down the street, calm as you like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Tbh I'm nervous if I ever have to wait for a bus on Patrick Street after dark. I just don't feel safe, particularly around Centra on Grand Parade - some serious dodgy feckers hang around there!

Sounds like you are afraid of your own shadow...

OP Have you a description of the two ? They seem fairly aggressive so I'd be curious as to who they are.

charlemont wrote: »

I believe that poster is a young lady.

• Advertisement

OP Have you a description of the two ? They seem fairly aggressive so I'd be curious as to who they are.

Are you for real? I'm "afraid of my own shadow" because I don't feel safe waiting for a bus in the city at night - I think I have reason to feel that way with the way the city is at night now.

What a stupid comment - you know nothing about me:rolleyes:

Are you for real? I'm "afraid of my own shadow" because I don't feel safe waiting for a bus in the city at night - I think I have reason to feel that way with the way the city is at night now.

Right so, I'll apologise I didn't know you were a young lady.

Just because some young lads wear hoodies and talk loud doesn't mean they are serious dodgy feckers, Far from it...As they say always watch the quiet ones..

....I'd say tis more the folks asking for a euro or a fag that a lady on her own would be wary of rather than hoody clad kids.

You don't feel safe waiting on a busy public well-lite street ??.. Boo Hoo for you so.

Just because some young lads wear hoodies and talk loud doesn't mean they are serious dodgy feckers, Far from it...As they say always watch the quiet ones..

Where did I mention lads wearing hoodies???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭MyStubbleItches

Right so, I'll apologise I didn't know you were a young lady.

This is quite ignorant.

Maybe you're as tough as nails and take no s**t from no-one (:rolleyes:) but we're not all as superhuman. Personally, I used to think that I wouldn't be too afraid if trouble came looking for me but when it happened once or twice I was quite unnerved and shaken. And I'm a quite big lad and scary looking myself (not by choice, God just made me that way)

No way in the world would I like my girlfriend to be anywhere on her own after dark. Another thing, these hoody clad youths that are doing nothing except being loud are actually quite intimidating to people, I would imagine especially so to a girl on her own. We all know they're certainly not up to anything beneficial to society and I'm being generous to them here. Call me discriminatory, call me politically incorrect, call me what you want but I'll call a spade a spade and say these groups are bad news.

I would hate to think that anybody, especially a girl, would be getting hassle when you, charlemont, might be the only person nearby. What would you do? Laugh and say 'Boo-hoo'????

This is quite ignorant.

Maybe you're as tough as nails and take no s**t from no-one (:rolleyes:) but we're not all as superhuman. Personally, I used to think that I wouldn't be too afraid if trouble came looking for me but when it happened once or twice I was quite unnerved and shaken. And I'm a quite big lad and scary looking myself (not by choice, God just made me that way)

No way in the world would I like my girlfriend to be anywhere on her own after dark. Another thing, these hoody clad youths that are doing nothing except being loud are actually quite intimidating to people, I would imagine especially so to a girl on her own. We all know they're certainly not up to anything beneficial to society and I'm being generous to them here. Call me discriminatory, call me politically incorrect, call me what you want but I'll call a spade a spade and say these groups are bad news.

I would hate to think that anybody, especially a girl, would be getting hassle when you, charlemont, might be the only person nearby. What would you do? Laugh and say 'Boo-hoo'????

Well put

Well put

I'd hate to see you in Dublin or London if you think waiting for a bus on a brightly lit busy well policed street here in Cork makes you nervous. :D

I'd hate to see you in Dublin or London if you think waiting for a bus on a brightly lit busy well policed street here in Cork makes you nervous. :D

Would you just drop it; I've been to both Dublin and London and it would be the same there - I most certainly wouldn't be waiting for a bus on my own at night in a foreign city that I was just visiting anyway and I would imagine most other females wouldn't either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭MyStubbleItches

Troll/bully. Simples.

• Advertisement

One is tall and the other is quite short. The tall guy is about 6'1 in height, in his late 20s, with fair hair and of medium build. He was wearing a light grey hoodie and blue jeans. I'm sure i heard the arresting guard address him as 'Stephen'. The other guy is noticeably shorter, around 5'7 tall, aged mid 30s, with brown hair and of stocky build. He was wearing a yellow striped polo-shirt with blue jeans. Both have typical drug riddled gaunt faces.

I'm certain anyone who works in retail in the city centre would be familiar with these lads. Between Merchants Quay and the top of Patrick St, they surely hassled 20 people or more for money.

I gave my statement to the same guard tonight, and i must say to his credit, he was both extremely helpful and courteous. He will rearrest the two tonight and officially charge them with assualt and attempted theft. Couple of people have phone the station saying they witnessed the incident so hopefully they'll give statements too.

My faith in An Garda Síochána has been somewhat restored. Like anything else in life, there's good ones and bad ones.

Advertisement