Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD and Intel processors, how different?

Options
  • 10-07-2012 8:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

So I did a quick search on boards, then the internet, and I can't really find anything comprehensive that sets them apart, bar "Intel wins".

I'm trying to gauge what might be a better option for a pc I plan to build after the summer. I'm gonna be gaming on it a good bit, and almost all of them are online based, and the most CPU intensive that comes to mind would be Starcraft 2. Then there are other games like League of Legends, Diablo 3, World of Warcraft and perhaps Guild Wars 2 when it comes out.
    Apart from gaming, I don't think I do much that requires that much power from the CPU, unless Photoshop and doing rather large amounts of video converting counts.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

So I did a quick search on boards, then the internet, and I can't really find anything comprehensive that sets them apart, bar "Intel wins".

I'm trying to gauge what might be a better option for a pc I plan to build after the summer. I'm gonna be gaming on it a good bit, and almost all of them are online based, and the most CPU intensive that comes to mind would be Starcraft 2. Then there are other games like League of Legends, Diablo 3, World of Warcraft and perhaps Guild Wars 2 when it comes out.
    Apart from gaming, I don't think I do much that requires that much power from the CPU, unless Photoshop and doing rather large amounts of video converting counts.

Intel CPUs are stronger for basically everything. If you're a gamer, you should get an intel i5 2500k/3570k.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭U_Fig

I'm not really that knowledgable about AMD processors.. But as far as I've seen.. AMD have some nice entry level chips that can somewhat work out cheaper than intel but as far as higher performance intel is a step above currently..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

With LGA1155 Celerons starting at 37 euro I'm not sure they even win on the value segment tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

They win in the laptop segment if you're looking at cheaper lines without a dedicated GPU and where graphics are a priority. Trinity APUs look very interesting though they haven't made much of an appearance yet.

Apparently desktop Llano has sold well too. Not sure who's been buying them. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

intel has invested more money into its next fabrication process than AMD made net income this year...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    intel has invested more money into its next fabrication process than AMD made net income this year...
    It should be noted though that AMD is a much smaller company. I think so anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Intel are a good ten times bigger, by employee count, revenue, assets anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I kinda hope AMD come out with something revolutionary, otherwise we may see a monopoly in the market quite soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

yea. and that's really bad for consumers.
    they've done it before, but at this stage Intel is probably 5+ years ahead in research and development, that it likely won't happen. piledriver is going to need a minimum of 15% better IPC than phenom II (which is already better than bulldozer) and decent windows 8 support to even stand a chance.

even if it requires 200W and snorts like a unrefined beast, AMD need to make it happen. and if it can crunch like a 2500K OC, Ill support it.

ED E wrote: »
    I kinda hope AMD come out with something revolutionary, otherwise we may see a monopoly in the market quite soon.

I think we're already nearly there. Just look at the pricing of the 2500K an 3570K since the launch of the 2500K. Climbing up all the time.

I hope AMD claw back some market share with their laptops anyway. I don't know how they even have a company left after reading so many articles where they restructured and let employees go. They'll probably make some money getting their stuff into the next consoles although I'd say profits there would be thin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

They're not struggling as such, they make a healthy profit but as Intel are so huge the comparisons inevitably lead us to believe they're not doing so well.

They're not struggling as such, they make a healthy profit but as Intel are so huge the comparisons inevitably lead us to believe they're not doing so well.

Yeah those bastards are well overcharging with those GPUs! Down with AMD!!! :D

... Seriously though, give us some better reductions.

Advertisement