Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

That LOI site from moons ago

• 10-07-2012 8:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭

Does anyone remember that LOI site from years ago? It was brilliant constantly udated with about five news stories a day every day. I think it was run by a guy called JW ? or something and then it just stopped.

Nothing ever seemed to replace it. You would have expected something to come around. Whats the best site now for LOI news and can anyone remember the name of the site as I used to visit it daily. Was it run by a guy called Johnny?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Johnny Ward

He writes for Racing Post and Indo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭legendary.xix

Does anyone remember that LOI site from years ago? It was brilliant constantly udated with about five news stories a day every day. I think it was run by a guy called JW ? or something and then it just stopped.

Nothing ever seemed to replace it. You would have expected something to come around. Whats the best site now for LOI news and can anyone remember the name of the site as I used to visit it daily. Was it run by a guy called Johnny?

That's from about 10 years ago or more. Wasn't he a student in Dublin. The website used to be something redbrick/ some college name. Did he become a journalist after all that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

10 years ago ? bloody hell :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

I think it was from 1998.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭HyperSkypeWiper

www.extratime.ie :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Cant remember the name of it but the forum was the most used at the time for LOI stuff, most moved over to foot once that went down. I remember using it during the 2002 WC, think it went shortly after that.

bohsboy wrote: »
    I think it was from 1998.

Possibly started around then, it was definitely still there in 2000 to 2001. Not sure exactly when it stopped. There'd be some posts on it JW will be glad can't be resurrected!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Extra time the best general site now. More of a concentration on specific club forums now.

bohsman wrote: »
    Cant remember the name of it but the forum was the most used at the time for LOI stuff, most moved over to foot once that went down. I remember using it during the 2002 WC, think it went shortly after that.

There was an issue one time about the eircom logo use on the website. I remember Emmet Malone giving mention to it on an online article. I always guessed as JW neared his journalism profession the site would have to shut, possible content he might not want etc. Nothing serious or anything but best to distance off and shut down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

If you are awaiting the arrival of your pubes and want to watch Limerick fans infight, then www.foot.ie is the place for you.

If you want insight and up to date info on LOI, then www.extratime.ie is as good as you will get

• Advertisement

Yea, you didn't have to sign up so could just pick a username every time you posted, not much moderation. Was also hosted on redbrick which afaik belongs to DCU so think it was more that he graduated so it got taken down.

That was it yeah, belonged to DCU. I'm sure he could've brought back the website in another form but naturally moved on! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Wasn't the forum then hosted on network54.com?

http://web.archive.org/web/20011201074517/http://www.redbrick.dcu.ie/~jw/index.htm

http://wayback.archive.org/web/20020601000000*/http://www.redbrick.dcu.ie/~jw/index.htm

http://web.archive.org/web/20011003193834/http://network54.com/Hide/Forum/91456

Good to know things haven't changed since 2001. "I can understand how it could be galling to the diehard LOI fan to see the contradiction of the patriotic Oirish supporter roar out the national anthem, while clutching a tricolour with the words 'CHELSEA FC' emblazoned on it. However, looking down our noses at them and putting down anybody who dares profess a liking for David Beckham or Michael Owen is not going to help the eircom League develop or attract new fans."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

11 a side was a great aul site during the day. Pity how it seems to have gone completely now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

On a slightly related topic,does anybody remember an Irish football magazine in the late 90's called Kick It or something similar?used to be decent enough for LOI coverage if I remember correctly.

I distinctly remember Liam George being on the cover of one of them for some reason!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Johnny Ward, Galway United fan, ran the site and to the best of my dodgy memory it was www.eircomleague.net

The forum was a combination of useful info and great craic.

Foot.ie kinda took over a while after JWs site went, started up by a lad from Cork it was origonally "phootball.com" and it was in black & white (licence fee was cheaper!) ... later changed to foot.ie with a green theme

Extratime.ie follows on more from JWs site with actual articles etc, where as foot.ie is more like the forum section.

There was also websites called "hospitalpass.net" and "ateamofgarybreens.com" that catered for Irish soccer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

I used to get the "Soccer Magazine" for years. Stopped tbh when LOI coverage started getting smaller. Still have loads of them at my parents home :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

On a slightly related topic,does anybody remember an Irish football magazine in the late 90's called Kick It or something similar?used to be decent enough for LOI coverage if I remember correctly.

I distinctly remember Liam George being on the cover of one of them for some reason!

Kickin'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Anyone remember HospitalPASS?

It was like an online fanzine for the league.

Daniel McDonnell of Irish Independent was involved in it. As was Peter Goulding (http://stammeringpoet.blogspot.ie/)

Always found it a good read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

JW was almost too easy to plant a seed with. The amount of times we made something up in the pub, one of the lads would text him, and it would be on the site within minutes. He would then check his facts, and take it down. He never quite learned :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

gimmick wrote: »
    JW was almost too easy to plant a seed with. The amount of times we made something up in the pub, one of the lads would text him, and it would be on the site within minutes. He would then check his facts, and take it down. He never quite learned :o

Sounds like Fool.ie except the net of imbecility is cast wider.

stovelid wrote: »
    Sounds like Fool.ie except the net of imbecility is cast wider.

There was a wide range of lunatics and good posters, the loons moved onto fool, the good posters stuck to their own clubs forums.

To be fair, foot.ie was good until about 2003. Then the LOI fanaticism became far too much.

gimmick wrote: »
    To be fair, foot.ie was good until about 2003. Then the LOI fanaticism became far too much.

It was basically a Cork City forum till then so you would think that..

The City fans didn't start leaving until around the start of 2005.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Anyone remember HospitalPASS?

It was like an online fanzine for the league.

Daniel McDonnell of Irish Independent was involved in it. As was Peter Goulding (http://stammeringpoet.blogspot.ie/)

Always found it a good read.

I fooking loved that site, always a good read.

Advertisement