Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lonely traveller

• 10-07-2012 8:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi,
    I need to travel, I have a long list of places i want to go and see, mainly budget/backpacking kind of travel. My problem is i have no one to come with me. Most friends and relatives that are travelling are gone to Australia, New Zealand or Canada for a year working. But i don't want that. I want to see the world in the year I take off, not just one place.

Anyone else have the same problem? Any advice for me?

Much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

wexartgirl wrote: »
    Hi,
    I need to travel, I have a long list of places i want to go and see, mainly budget/backpacking kind of travel. My problem is i have no one to come with me. Most friends and relatives that are travelling are gone to Australia, New Zealand or Canada for a year working. But i don't want that. I want to see the world in the year I take off, not just one place.

Anyone else have the same problem? Any advice for me?

Much appreciated!

That's not a problem. Pick a place, save your money and just go or you'll regret it.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Marcus_Crassus

Just go alone! You could spend your whole life waiting for someone to go with you. Life's far too short.

Starting in October, I'm going to travel alone through several countries in Africa. I cannot wait.

Just go for it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

Just go and do it, the more you think about it the more you'll be put off. In a similar situation myself, I want to see places, but my mates either can't afford to/don't want to/or have been there. It's daunting the first time you travel on your own but that soon passes. You have complete freedom to steer the holiday in a direction you want it to go without having to compromise for others. Just do it, you won't regret it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 110 ✭✭Bruz82

You only be alone when you are flying. when you are travelling through countries e.g. SA or SE Asia you will be travelling with others going in the same direction.you would be surprised how many people you will meet that travel alone iswell....from every nation. thats part of the experience for me. I travelling alone to Jordan, Israel and Palestine last year and I travelled with a Scottish bloke and a Chilean girl for most of it.

Just get into hostels and mingle. take it from there.
    Its the best thing you'll ever do.
    Good luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Naid23

I understand exactly where you are coming from and while most people will say 'Just go for it' -Which I agree with but its still a very daunting thing to get your head around, and not just for you but your family aswel.

I was most worried about starting on my own - I figured I'd get over it once i got over there, but I joined TravBuddy and found someone who wants to do the same travelling as me and we get on great.
    So would be worth a look to see if theres someone ya could even start with.

Best of luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

If you stay in hostels you won't be alone. I think your better off going on your own and doing things at your own pace. I hate travelling with other people now, it doesn't feel like a holiday having to wait around for other people and do what they want to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Go for it! I travelled alone and it was great altogether. You meet new people in hostels and make friends to go to one or two places with but for the majority of my time I was alone doing what I wanted to do. It was actually a very enjoyable experience and I would definitely do it again.

You can do what you want to do, go at your own pace, see what you want to see, and there's nobody to make stop you.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Pixie001

I'm the same, thinking of going travelling in early 2013 through SE Asia. Looks like I'll be doing it myself also (going to try travbuddy to see if I can find someone to travel with, or at least start the trip with someone else!)

I understand where you're coming from though, it's daunting doing it on your own, but hopefully it will be worth it! Have you thought about where you would like to travel?

Pixie001 wrote: »
    I'm the same, thinking of going travelling in early 2013 through SE Asia. Looks like I'll be doing it myself also (going to try travbuddy to see if I can find someone to travel with, or at least start the trip with someone else!)

I understand where you're coming from though, it's daunting doing it on your own, but hopefully it will be worth it! Have you thought about where you would like to travel?

No need to plan on meeting anyone.. It's an instant responsibility for no reason. You'll meet tonnes of people in every corner of SE Asia.

Advertisement