Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Could you live without a mobile phone?

• 10-07-2012 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭

Could you live without your mobile phone ?
    I honestly don't know many people who don't have a phone (except a few elderly people I guess).

I feel like society have become slaves to the mobile phone industry.

I went into my bank to pay a credit card bill and the cashier said "you can pay this online or on a mobile phone app" to which I said, ok, but what about people who opt not to be online or use mobiles to which the cashier said "But, everyone is online".

Have we reached a stage where not having a phone is an actual handicap?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

Jesus Nut wrote: »
    Could you live without your mobile phone ?

Yes, but I don't want to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Yes I think I could, would miss it at first but would survive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

Hang on a second I have to take this call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Yes. I don't have one. Still healthy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

For a long time I just used my phone as a phone. Had an old brick.

I just bought my first smartphone a few weeks ago and it's great all the things it can do. It's like a mini PC.......but I had lasted this long without it and could again easily.

But then, I'm probably not a good example. I use computers and the internet everyday and don't have a facebook account. I imagine most of the kiddies these days couldn't go 5 minutes without updating their facebook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

Of course, you can catch up with everyone online, have a house phone for your important calls. I never have much need of it when I'm out other than someone ringing ya and annoying ya when your trying to do something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

we'll be back to the days where shouts of "you're wanted on the phone" were commonplace..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Pedant

I'd think I'd die, Ted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I hate all this "slave to X" bullsh*t!

Things are invented and make our lives amazingly easier. The modern mobile phone is the most perfect example. You can even watch TV on your phone now. People don't primarily use it as a phone anymore.

What's wrong with things that are awesome and make life better?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Mobile phone yes, iphone no..;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

No, my organs would start to shut down and I'd be put on life support.

Of course I could live without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Jesus Nut

This guy seems to have tried to warn people about mobile phones and the internet back in the 80's and 90's.
    Interesting to what he has to say about the technology

I went into my bank to pay a credit card bill and the cashier said "you can pay this online or on a mobile phone app" to which I said, ok, but what about people who opt not to be online or use mobiles to which the cashier said "But, everyone is online".

Er........ you asked a question, the answer to which was exactly what you were doing there.

Mind-boggling!

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Er........ you asked a question, the answer to which was exactly what you were doing there.

Mind-boggling!

What?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Mind-boggling!
    ?

Posing a question and giving their own take? People do this all the time, or did you mean something else?

Edit: Missed the obvious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

No I couldn't. Imagine getting lost on a night out or something and having no phone to contact anyone.

What?

You went to the bank to pay the bill.

The cashier told you of an option to pay online.

You asked what was the option for those who are not online.

The answer was, you go to the bank and pay the bill. The very thing you were doing.

Yes, but it would make being on-call interesting!

You asked what was the option for those who are not online.

I didnt ask... Sorry if it sounded like that... When your one said "oh, do you not know you can pay this online insted of coming into to me and bothering me" in such words! I then replied "well, what about folk who dont have interent or phones etc.

It was more having a go at the cashier I was because the cashier is under the assumption that everyone in ireland has a mobile and internet and is a slave in a weird way lol

• Advertisement

I didnt ask... Sorry if it sounded like that... When your one said "oh, do you not know you can pay this online insted of coming into to me and bothering me" in such words! I then replied "well, what about folk who dont have interent or phones etc.

It was more having a go at the cashier I was because the cashier is under the assumption that everyone in ireland has a mobile and internet and is a slave in a weird way lol

If you and others didn't go and pay your bills etc., she wouldn't have a job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Was away earlier this year for two weeks and had no mobile phone with me,It was very weird and I felt I was missing out ?? Rather have it with me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

I don't have a mobile phone and I'm a well balanced individual. *twitch*

SOMEONE PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD TELL ME I'M WANTED!

realies wrote: »
    Was away earlier this year for two weeks and had no mobile phone with me,It was very weird and I felt I was missing out ?? Rather have it with me.

A true sign that the technology is using you rather than you using it!

Someone who has just quit smoking will understand this pyschological feeling very well

Someone who has just quit smoking will understand this pyschological feeling very well

Nah.

Today, I went walking with a mate! We decided to do 13 miles. On the way, he needed to go to Smyths toystore, but would it be open? We just Googled that sh*t! Score 1 for phone!

We had organised a holiday the day before and were trying to figure out how much we had actually paid all in all. Calculator time. Score 2 for phone!

My brother was in the house and needed the password to my laptop. Score 3!

Also, the entire time we walked, my phone told us how long we walked, how far we walked, how many calories we'd burned and a map of where we'd walked.

Score loads to the phone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Yes. Next question, please :D

Nah.

Today, I went walking with a mate! We decided to do 13 miles. On the way, he needed to go to Smyths toystore, but would it be open? We just Googled that sh*t! Score 1 for phone!

We had organised a holiday the day before and were trying to figure out how much we had actually paid all in all. Calculator time. Score 2 for phone!

My brother was in the house and needed the password to my laptop. Score 3!

Also, the entire time we walked, my phone told us how long we walked, how far we walked, how many calories we'd burned and a map of where we'd walked.

Score loads to the phone!

Out of interest, how is your own mental calculator?

Out of interest, how is your own mental calculator?

Pretty sharp. I play a lot of poker which requires immediate calculations of pot odds, implied odds, outs, percentages etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Sarn

Yes I could, but the advantages outweigh the problems. The problem now is that people rely on their phones to keep up to date with each other far more then was done in the past.

On a night out it used to be a case of meeting someone at a certain place at a certain time (with reliable friends). Now the plans for a night can become "we've moved to Kehoes" or "I'll be there in an hour". So being without a phone means a greater chance of getting stranded. Good luck finding a payphone now. On the flip side, when you've broken down in the middle of nowhere it's a godsend.

Without one I would also need to get a landline installed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

ya my phone is used as a phone nothing more so I could live without it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭vamos!

What??? Seriously, we could all live without mobile if we chose to. The real question is do we want to go back to the days of having to hang around for ages waiting on someone who is running late while hoping they remembered the time and place?
    You don't have to text, use apps and use all of the extras if you don't want to but I feel safer driving on back roads and walking in town with my phone.

Pretty sharp. I play a lot of poker which requires immediate calculations of pot odds, implied odds, outs, percentages etc.

An exception to society. You would be really suprised by how much people depend on there phone to do there mental thinking! Calculations, Spell Check, Google have had a dumbing down effect on alot of people but not all ! You know the type I'm on about.

Our local doctor is refered to as "doctor google" and that is not a joke!!!!!!!!

vamos! wrote: »
    What??? Seriously, we could all live without mobile if we chose to. The real question is do we want to go back to the days of having to hang around for ages waiting on someone who is running late while hoping they remembered the time and place?
    You don't have to text, use apps and use all of the extras if you don't want to but I feel safer driving on back roads and walking in town with my phone.

Yup!

I mean, really we could live without shoes. Jackets. Watches. Computers. TVs etc.

But why would you want to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Someone who has just quit smoking will understand this psychological feeling very well

;) I stopped smoking in 06, Drinking in 09 so I know a fair bit of psychological feeling thanks :) So its obvious I now have an addiction to my phone :( I thought i just wanted to stay connected :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

I find myself reading wikipedia and listverse on the smartphone in bed just before going to sleep. My knowledge on the most obscure topics has increased steadily!

To answer the OPs question, yes, but it's not just a case of being not able to call and text people, I'd find it a serious inconvenience if I couldn't access email or internet on the go. That's just the way modern life is now, there's no going back... barring a nuclear strike of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭fleabag

I have just bought my first mobile phone and managed grand for years without one. I got one because my other half felt happier knowing I had one when I was out and about.

Most people were surprised when I said I didn't have a phone but then often said I was better off without one in the next breath.

I've used it twice since buying - once when I got rear-ended on the bike and the second time when the throttle cable on the bike snapped. To be honest I would have only been really stuck without it on the latter occasion - and then I could have rolled the trouser leg up and waited for a passing motorist to stop and lend me theirs :)

I carry it with me but keep it switched off all the time unless I need to use it. Only a very few people know I have it. I reckon it's for my convenience not anyone else's. Hate to think that I have one but there's also the reassurance aspect.

Have you ever been on a street and looked around and seen everyone on a phone??? Eerie. I think it's a generational thing. I notice people whip out and start fiddling with a mobile in social situations to avoid having to make conversation or not to feel embarassed if they're on their own. My generation didn't grow up with mobiles so I personally don't mind being in a social setting with nothing to fiddle with and I don't feel like I need to check every 5 minutes in case I've received a message or missed a call. I believe t'is known as the best of both worlds!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Spent nearly a year travelling outback Australia with little to no mobile coverage - so yeah I think I can survive.

Though at the the time I was using a very basic Nokia, not sure how I'd cope without my smartphone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,055 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Honestly don;t think the world could live without mobiles any more.

I have a €20 one for texting and calls, and that does me fine. I work with people who spend an absolute fortune and change their phones every 6 months cos they have to have the latest model. I rarely see these people make a call on them, just seem to play silly games even though most are in the 30s and early 40s.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

I take/make about 50-150 calls a day for work on my mobile. I got one the minute they came out to replace the 2 way radio I had. Totally fecked without it. My working day is made up of my mobile, my Credit card and a vehicle. I can work without anything else, but without those 3, I'm stuffed. No mobile = no work.

I read that men who keep a mobile phone in there trouser pockets have on average 50% less sperm than men who dont keep a switched on phone in there pocket and I also just learned from a doctor that WiFi in primary schools is VERY bad for young girls as the microwaves can have a negative effect on there eggs (which all girls are born with about 200). This has been proven I read to damage the eggs of roughly 15 out of 100 primary school girls and the long term thing would be there baby (when they have them) will be born with a screwed up gene which will be carried through the blood line!
    Scary taught!!

• Advertisement

I read that men who keep a mobile phone in there trouser pockets have on average 50% less sperm than men who dont keep a switched on phone in there pocket and I also just learned from a doctor that WiFi in primary schools is VERY bad for young girls as the microwaves can have a negative effect on there eggs (which all girls are born with about 200). This has been proven I read to damage the eggs of roughly 15 out of 100 primary school girls and the long term thing would be there baby (when they have them) will be born with a screwed up gene which will be carried through the blood line!
    Scary taught!!

Well, 50% less sperm is still a lot of sperm!

Also, what's this about microwaves? WiFi uses Radio Waves!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Scary taught!!

and your scientifically peer reviewed articles are???

Anyway I've a mobile for work, put the thing on silent every evening, and check it maybe once or twice.

Weekends it goes on silent and I might check it sunday evening.

Rarely need it for personal purposes
    Probably wouldn't have one were it not for work these days.

Well, 50% less sperm is still a lot of sperm!

Also, what's this about microwaves? WiFi uses Radio Waves!

well, what ever waves. You get my point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,055 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

They will soon bring out a mobile phone that doesn't a phone in it, for how often some people use that function.

well, what ever waves. You get my point.

But your point is silly as far as I can see. Radio waves have been used for a multitude of things for ages.

And radiowaves are around you all the time whether you like it or not.

Care to link to sources for what you just said?

But your point is silly as far as I can see. Radio waves have been used for a multitude of things for ages.

And radiowaves are around you all the time whether you like it or not.

Care to link to sources for what you just said?

Looking for the youtube doctor interview I found but also read it on this

http://www.naturalnews.com/036224_genetic_disorders_DNA_electropollution.html

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭The House Of Wolves

My phone's been missing for three weeks now, and I can't be bothered to get up and search for it - so peaceful without it. People sending me messages on facebook - "y r u nvr rplyn!?" and I have the excuse "Lost my phone", and then log off and don't have to converse with them. It's nice, but slightly annoying when I got caught in the rain and didn't have the phone to call for a lift.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Scary taught!!

yes! no kids for me.

Comparing the energy from (inside) a microwave oven to the energy from a wi-fi/mobile network or phone is a bit like comparing the light of a lighthouse with that of a candle at 100metres.

Comparing the energy from (inside) a microwave oven to the energy from a wi-fi/mobile network or phone is a bit like comparing the light of a lighthouse with that of a candle at 100metres.

Yea, but when a laptop is ontop of the lap of a 5-9 year old girl who has weak tissue then mabey the effect is higher!
    The study said it does not effect grown women! Only young primary school girls and again, only about 15 out of 100! But still

• Advertisement
Advertisement