Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Using Apple TV for interface and with network drive?

• 10-07-2012 9:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭

Is it possible to use an apple tv for its interface i.e album covers but by using content on a network drive?

What I want to do at home is to be able to use an iPhone or iPad to search through my music on my 2TB network drive and then play it but also for it to come up with the album covers. Is this possible and has anyone done it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭dingding

You will need to save the music to iCloud I think it is 25 per year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

dingding wrote: »

No you don't. You just enable iTunes sharing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭sonic.trip

dingding wrote: »

No you don't. You just enable iTunes sharing.

Wouldn't I need to be running a pc/laptop to enable home sharing on iTunes?

I'm a bit confused; apple tv is such a great idea but if you have a 16gb iPhone or iPad that holds barely any films or music it's no good unless you can acess your network storage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

sonic.trip wrote: »

I'm a bit confused; apple tv is such a great idea but if you have a 16gb iPhone or iPad that holds barely any films or music it's no good unless you can acess your network storage?

Yes you need a mac or PC to act as a server for home sharing.

sonic.trip wrote: »

Yes you need a mac or PC to act as a server for home sharing.

Thanks.

Not really what I'm after as I don't want to be running a pc or laptop. Might just invest in a popcorn hour c-300 instead!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

Do you have a console , i have a network drive and want to watch my media on the TV. I use a PS3 but an xbox will also work.

save you buying more hardware:)

Kenno90 wrote: »
    Do you have a console , i have a network drive and want to watch my media on the TV. I use a PS3 but an xbox will also work.

save you buying more hardware:)

No, unfortunately I'm not much of a gamer. I'm just looking for a decent media player with a nice interface. Love the apple tv but don't want to run a laptop and my network drive to get that interface. I like the sound of the popcorn hour which has automatic covers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

They only way I got it to work was to JB the ATV and Installed XBMC on it

This then allowed me to point ATV to my NAS that had all my movies on and stream it from the NAS to ATV

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

This then allowed me to point ATV to my NAS that had all my movies on and stream it from the NAS to ATV

Is this with the newest ATV, i would happily buy one , if i could do that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

Kenno90 wrote: »
    Is this with the newest ATV, i would happily buy one , if i could do that

You can't jailbreak the ATV3 yet but you could pick up an ATV2 second hand and do it

• Advertisement

That could be an idea but I wouldn't know where to start really. Is it easy to JB the ATV and install XBMC? What about streaming movies etc do you ever have any problems witht it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Its ATV2

XBMC install is easy enough, loads of stuff on WWW.xmbc.com

I found navigating to the right location difficult but got there in the end

I then bought Firecore, quick install and easy to get to movies

I find it fine streaming

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

Its ATV2

XBMC install is easy enough, loads of stuff on WWW.xmbc.com

I found navigating to the right location difficult but got there in the end

I then bought Firecore, quick install and easy to get to movies

I find it fine streaming

Ok. So I have a 2TB networked media player. If I get an apple tv 2, jailbreak it and install xbmc, point it to the network drive/player is that all that's required? How does the streaming from the network drive to the ATV work?

Also, can you still but apple tv 2's from the apple store?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭dingding

Would an airport extreme work. There is a USB interface that allows you to connect a hard drive.

It is about 150 euro so it is an expensive solution.

Advertisement