Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Olympics 2012 Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

i guess not

Each sport sub forum has their own discussion threads. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056710645 is a general daily discussion thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Play called for the day in spite of the fact that all CC matches are done and they still have about 2 hours before the curfew.

Ridiculous decision!

cgpg5 wrote: »
    Ridiculous decision!

Outside courts are slippery and unsafe apparently. Can't be the same people that usually look after Wimbledon that are running things, can it? Today has been a shambles.

Outside courts are slippery and unsafe apparently. Can't be the same people that usually look after Wimbledon that are running things, can it? Today has been a shambles.

Surely they could move a match (or dare I say 2) to CC? They'd have a set gone in one at this stage had they done it. Very strange all round indeed

Anyhow like it or not that's day two over. Very questionable why play has stopped so early and nothing going on on centre court. With bad weather down for the week this could get messy. This may come to suit players not involved in any doubles.

Anyhow, so far only Andy Murray out of the top seeds has had any sort of comfort. Ferrer seems to be going ok, but Tsonga had a very nervy encounter with the gritty Brazilian Bellucci. It was a similar story for Fed and Djok who both dropped sets. Raonic, Delpo and Dimitrov others that are through and who may prove tricky opponents yet.

As far as I know very little if any doubles action went on today.

In the women's Aga is gone. Surprising enough but shocks do happen in the women's. Masha looked good but it's early doors. Frankly I'd be amazed if Serena didn't win gold comfortably. It has been a poor standard. Venus should currently be playing but what can you do.

They need to get their act together with scheduling. No idea what's on tomorrow really...

• Advertisement

Surely they could move a match (or dare I say 2) to CC? They'd have a set gone in one at this stage had they done it. Very strange all round indeed

Don't think CC could take it. Looks like it did after 2 weeks of Wimbledon after only 2 days. Whatever they did to get it looking right again was obviously a botch job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭KINGVictor

Totally agree with you there, I'd say we would have had a match concluded tonite- poor decision making indeed.

I am shell shocked Radwanska lost today in the first round, I know she played against a top 15 player but she wasnt just herself. Murray played very well against Wawrinka and he is still a favourite for a medal. I am glad Novak won against Fognini in the end, would have been quite awful if he didnt. We all like surprises but not very early though...

KINGVictor wrote: »
    Totally agree with you there, I'd say we would have had a match concluded tonite- poor decision making indeed.

I am shell shocked Radwanska lost today in the first round, I know she played against a top 15 player but she wasnt just herself. Murray played very well against Wawrinka and he is still a favourite for a medal. I am glad Novak won against Fognini in the end, would have been quite awful if he didnt. We all like surprises but not very early though...

Could not agree more. Murray was very good today too. Hope to God he gets another crack at a final! Please let it be Djok ARod next round

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

the table tennis tables look tiny on TV...is there not a standard size??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭KINGVictor

Could not agree more. Murray was very good today too. Hope to God he gets another crack at a final! Please let it be Djok ARod next round

I am not a Murray at all but I watched the doubles match yesterday and I saw hunger from the dude. He wants to prove that he can translate his potential into results and I hope he can at least get a medal in the Olympics.

As for Novak, I dont think he will really have much problem against Roddick- all very interesting, looking forward to good weather so the matches can be played on schedule- quite frustrating for the us and I assume more so for the players.

• Advertisement

I am not a Murray at all but I watched the doubles match yesterday and I saw hunger from the dude. He wants to prove that he can translate his potential into results and I hope he can at least get a medal in the Olympics.

As for Novak, I dont think he will really have much problem against Roddick- all very interesting, looking forward to good weather so the matches can be played on schedule- quite frustrating for the us and I assume more so for the players.

By all accounts good weather tomorrow. Fingers crossed. Week not planned good though. Thank God for centre court roof!

Me neither, but his speech after losing the Wimbledon final made me want nice things for him.
    It's always been more about the British media and their overkill with Murray that I don't like. He's not the most charismatic of guys either but I honestly think he's just a really shy kind of guy that just wants to play his tennis and go home. He's not an entertainer, doesn't want to be doing press for hours after matches or training. Media tend to make him out to be a dry ****e and a bit dour but I'm starting to think that's not the case.

I'm not sure I want him to win gold, but I'd be happy for him to medal and if he does get gold, well, I won't mind.

Me neither, but his speech after losing the Wimbledon final made me want nice things for him.
    It's always been more about the British media and their overkill with Murray that I don't like. He's not the most charismatic of guys either but I honestly think he's just a really shy kind of guy that just wants to play his tennis and go home. He's not an entertainer, doesn't want to be doing press for hours after matches or training. Media tend to make him out to be a dry ****e and a bit dour but I'm starting to think that's not the case.

I'm not sure I want him to win gold, but I'd be happy for him to medal and if he does get gold, well, I won't mind.

I must say I've always wanted Murray to win everything. But I see why people get fed up with the beeb hype and all that. I think you sum him up very well here, he's not into the glamour and fame that often comes with doing well in the sport but he goes out to get a job done and does it bloody well.

He seems a grand fella though from seeing him on various tv appearances etc. He's shy indeed but so what at the end of the day. hate how people knock him for this. Not sure about his relationship with fellow players but I know he's great pals with Djokovic who is seen as one of the biggest characters in the game!

I must say I've always wanted Murray to win everything. But I see why people get fed up with the beeb hype and all that. I think you sum him up very well here, he's not into the glamour and fame that often comes with doing well in the sport but he goes out to get a job done and does it bloody well.

He seems a grand fella though from seeing him on various tv appearances etc. He's shy indeed but so what at the end of the day. hate how people knock him for this. Not sure about his relationship with fellow players but I know he's great pals with Djokovic who is seen as one of the biggest characters in the game!

Most players seem to speak highly of him. I remember seeing him being interviewed with the rest of the GB Davis Cup team and he seemed much more relaxed and was having a bit of a laugh with them. The media and a lot of fans seem to want the big characters and the entertainers and anyone who isn't willing to jump through hoops for them gets written off as grumpy or unfriendly.

Even Djokovic said that he got sick of people asking him to impersonate other players and dance for them and all that kind of thing. He just wanted to play tennis.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Djokovic and Murray have played a lot of doubles together, so they clearly get on well

The weather holding up anyway. Hewitt and Roddick both in action, nice to see the old timers of the tournament doing well :D

Excellent quality stream of CC on the RTE website at the moment. Best stream I've seen so far. Hope they keep it up for the whole day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Delighted to see Hewitt come through his match against Stakhovsky! He'll play Marin Cilic next.

Really topsy-turvy match between Begu & Azarenka on CC. Thought Vika was cruising after taking first set 6-1, then Begu managed to claw her way back & take 2nd. Vika is currently 3-1 up in the final set. I'd be very surprised if she lost it.

Serena kicking off her Olympic campaign against Urszula Radwanska on Court 1. Venus is in action atm against Errani; going on serve.

Laura Robson is in action against Lucie Safarova in Court 18. Looks like a packed house there. Robson was 5-1, serving for the first set but Lucie won the next 2 games. The Brit has chance to serve again for first set.

Venus absolutely blows Errani away. For a player that reached a major final around two months ago she is woeful! Serena makes light work of Radwanska too.

Great news for GB as both Robson and Watson progress! Laura plays Sharapova next!

Sabine is through as well get in there :D

Fed had it a lot easier today.

Venus absolutely blows Errani away. For a player that reached a major final around two months ago she is woeful! Serena makes light work of Radwanska too.

Errani not a grass courter at all. Hates the stuff.

• Advertisement

Errani not a grass courter at all. Hates the stuff.

I'd expect to score a point myself in a full set at Wimbledon :D:p

Looking forward to tomorrow at Wimbledon. Four really good looking games on centre court. Weather not promised great for the day but at least we're assured of these games going ahead.

Venus Williams is first on v Wozniak from Canada. I watched Venus today and she looked brilliant at times albeit against limited opposition. If she hits form she'll win this no question. She really is one to watch I think and if she can play a bit like her old self she'll start to pick off opposition at ease.

Next up is team GB hope and home favourite Andy Murray who shouldn't expect to be troubled by Nieminen from Finland. Should be business as usual for the Scot.

However next up is the tie of the round and an unmissable match. Andy Roddick may well be past his best but boy would he love to knock out bookies slight favourite Novak Djokovic. The American will no doubt have incredible support out on centre court and the world number 2 struggled in round one. You'd fancy Djokovic but A.Rod won't go down without a fight...

And last up is GB hope 18 year old Laura Robson who meets Maria Sharapova at this venue for the second time in about 13 months. The Russian flag bearer is the unquestionable favourite but she won't have it easy against the gritty teenager.

Other games of note are:
    The ever popular Jo-Wilfried Tsonga v Canadian rising star Milas Raonic. Tsonga in 2.
    British number 1 Heather Watson plays Maria Kirilienko. The latter in 3.
    Aussie veteran Lleyton Hewitt v Marin Cilic. The man in green and gold in 3
    The popular Sabine Lisicki v golden set-girl Yaraoslav Shvedova. Sabine in 3
    And finally the WIlliams sisters take to court 2 to take on Lisicki/Kerber of Germany. Only one winner there!

Venus Williams is first on v Wozniak from Canada. I watched Venus today and she looked brilliant at times albeit against limited opposition. If she hits form she'll win this no question. She really is one to watch I think and if she can play a bit like her old self she'll start to pick off opposition at ease.

Venus still has the talent and the desire but her Sjogren's limits her. She needs her first few matches to be relatively easy to preserve her energy. Olympics are less demanding than a slam, less matches, but then she is playing doubles too, so that's also going to take something out of her.
    Next up is team GB hope and home favourite Andy Murray who shouldn't expect to be troubled by Nieminen from Finland. Should be business as usual for the Scot.

Nieminen took a set off Murray at RG when he was clutching his back every five seconds, but then fell apart and allowed Murray to win it playing at about 20%. Can't see it happening that way again, Murray should have no problems.
    And last up is GB hope 18 year old Laura Robson who meets Maria Sharapova at this venue for the second time in about 13 months. The Russian flag bearer is the unquestionable favourite but she won't have it easy against the gritty teenager.

Should be a stroll in the park for Masha, but as it's the last match on CC meaning it should be near enough full, and with a home crowd anything is possible. I like Robson and Watson and want them to do well but I want Masha to win everything always, so hopefully she will.
    Other games of note are:
    The ever popular Jo-Wilfried Tsonga v Canadian rising star Milas Raonic. Tsonga in 2.
    British number 1 Heather Watson plays Maria Kirilienko. The latter in 3.
    Aussie veteran Lleyton Hewitt v Marin Cilic. The man in green and gold in 3
    The popular Sabine Lisicki v golden set-girl Yaraoslav Shvedova. Sabine in 3
    And finally the WIlliams sisters take to court 2 to take on Lisicki/Kerber of Germany. Only one winner there!

Jo is my favourite male player, but I like Milos a lot too, it's a real shame they're playing each other so early. It'll be tight, but Tsonga should take it, might go to 3.
    Hev could give Kiri a run for her money. She's very talented and again the home crowd advantage should help her a lot. I like Kiri too but I think she's got a better shot at a doubles medal than singles.

Play suspended. Oh dear oh dear oh dear. This is not looking good.

Anyway, Venus makes very light work of Aleksandra Wozniak. If she can build up even more steam she will take stopping. Great to see her play very well.

Tsonga and Raonic are involved in a cracker. It has gone to a final set with both players comfortable on serve. Very interesting to see who comes out better after the rain delay

Murray breezes through. Novak putting on an exhibition on centre court now. Absolutely flawless.

The mixed doubles draw is out! Some very interesting pairs. Team GB are represented by Andy Murray and Laura Robson, USA have the two Bryan's teaming up with Lisa Raymond (Mike) and Liezel Huber (Bob), Australia have Lleyton Hewitt and Samantha Stosur while the top seeds are Vika Azarenka and Max Mirnyi of Belarus. Germany have two teams involved- Lisicki/Kas, Kerber/Petzchner. SHould be interesting.

Rain appears to have ceased so some good tennis to look forward to today

By the way this is the most complete tennis performance I have seen for quite a while by Novak. Simply awesome

Some great doubles pairings. Knew Ivanovic and Zimonjic were pairing for about 3 years now but some interesting ones. Glad to see Delpo in there with Dulko, Murray and Robbo have played Hopman Cup twice so they've some experience together. Hard to see past USA with one of the Bryan pairings bound to get gold.

Tsonga Raonic incredible drama 17-16 Tsonga with Raonic serving!

Tsonga Raonic incredible drama 17-16 Tsonga with Raonic serving!

Raonic saved 2 MP.

Drama personified. COME ON JO! My good friend Sabine won earlier too delighted! saved a MP in the process :)

• Advertisement

Drama personified. COME ON JO! My good friend Sabine won earlier too delighted! saved a MP in the process :)

Boo! Hope Maria gets revenge for Wimbledon. Although I'm nervous about it, Sabine is a Wimbledon grass GOAT. (she is still playing doubles too though, so maybe she'll be too tired to bring her A game)

Advertisement